Con 70 Converter New Use..

Oldtimer

Well, I was so happy that the con 70 fit the Metropolitan!!!! Yes, but only the section, when I tried to place the barrel in, OMG, no way! I had removed it from the CH 912 because I thought it was not sucking in the inks. Then I saw a video on how to use it properly. Not that it is easy, one should not have to exert that much pressure so quickly and had, just to put in a few ml of ink inside a pen,,,anyway. I don't like it.

I had just removed a cartridge from a Metropolitan, and I realized that I could flush it using the Con-70... That's what I am going to use it for! It works nicely and throws a lot of water down that tube... Now, on the way to me, directly from Amazon, two con-70s to see if they behave better on the 912 than the one I will be using to flush the Metros that I have.

t works because even though you have to push hard, you can always fill whatever container of water you are using to the brim so it is easy. With ink bottles, it is very difficult to hold the pen and push at the same time without making a mess if the ink level is low. At least, that has been my experience.

And anyway, I don't think the con-70 holds so much ink!

Edited by Berelleza

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• MYU

• dcwaites

• Oldtimer

The CON 70 has hidden compartments that hold ink from previous fills that slowly release over time. When you clean it, it likes to remind you of previous colors you used.

CON70 is very difficult to clean, even with an ultrasonic cleaner. CON40 is horribly stingy. Pilot does not make good convertors.

I use a syringe with a large bore dispensing needle to clean my CON-70s when I am changing inks. Fill the syringe with water, place the needle over the hollow shaft in the converter, and inject water. This then flows down the hollow shaft, through the bottom, flushing out the 'hidden' ink. Usually one flush of 5 mls is sufficient.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I use a syringe with a large bore dispensing needle to clean my CON-70s when I am changing inks. Fill the syringe with water, place the needle over the hollow shaft in the converter, and inject water. This then flows down the hollow shaft, through the bottom, flushing out the 'hidden' ink. Usually one flush of 5 mls is sufficient.

Great tip! Thanks for posting that. I have a bunch of CON-20's that are waiting for pens, as I'm not using them much. Once I blunted a syringe, I've found that refilling cartridges is a good way to go... but you have to be gentle with them, as they'll decay over time. But I've been thinking of giving the CON-70 a try. Does it hold about as much ink as a cartridge?

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Great tip! Thanks for posting that. I have a bunch of CON-20's that are waiting for pens, as I'm not using them much. Once I blunted a syringe, I've found that refilling cartridges is a good way to go... but you have to be gentle with them, as they'll decay over time. But I've been thinking of giving the CON-70 a try. Does it hold about as much ink as a cartridge?

It holds about 1 ml of ink, compared to 0.9 for a Pilot cartridge or 0.7 for a standard international cartridge

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

When I look at my Con 70, I wonder why pilot can't just also create a piston version of it using the same dimensions. Replace the long metal section of the Con 70 pump mechanism with a proper piston mechanism, and the remaining big ink reservoir (clear section) I think could still hold 1+ ml easily. The clear section is bigger than a Sheaffer converter which holds a fair amount of ink. I would love the CON70 in a piston mechanism version! Would be so much easier to fill and clean.

Has anyone mangled their nib doing the CON70 pump action rigorously with one hand in a shallow ink bottle? It feels like an accident waiting to happen.

Give the CON-70 another try! Some of them feel a little different than others, but all work by rapidly pumping many times with your nib submerged up to the section.

Unlike a piston filled converter, this magical pumping mechanism allows you to get a complete 100% fill of an already large tank as far as converters go.

Cleaning isn't as hard as people make it out to be - just do a few blasts of water with a blunt syringe while simultaneously pumping the button. That will dislodge residual ink.

I'm a huge fan of Japanese pens and it's thanks to the CON-70 that the majority of my fountain pen collection consists of Pilot pens. Every time I refill a CON-70 pen I'm grateful I didn't have to refill sooner. I can't imagine a converter with less than 1ml for an M or B nib.

So I suggest giving the CON-70 another try, as that's one of your 912's best features. That ink supply sets it apart from a Sailor Pro Gear which is a great pen but has a small converter by comparison.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I was so happy that the con 70 fit the Metropolitan!!!! Yes, but only the section, when I tried to place the barrel in, OMG, no way! I had removed it from the CH 912 because I thought it was not sucking in the inks. Then I saw a video on how to use it properly. Not that it is easy, one should not have to exert that much pressure so quickly and had, just to put in a few ml of ink inside a pen,,,anyway. I don't like it.

I had just removed a cartridge from a Metropolitan, and I realized that I could flush it using the Con-70... That's what I am going to use it for! It works nicely and throws a lot of water down that tube... Now, on the way to me, directly from Amazon, two con-70s to see if they behave better on the 912 than the one I will be using to flush the Metros that I have.

t works because even though you have to push hard, you can always fill whatever container of water you are using to the brim so it is easy. With ink bottles, it is very difficult to hold the pen and push at the same time without making a mess if the ink level is low. At least, that has been my experience.

And anyway, I don't think the con-70 holds so much ink!

I get that. You know what is good to flush pens too? Buy a Parallel pen and they come with a long, thin blue "pump" that is great to flush ink out of Pilot pens. First time I bought parallels I threw them away.--Didnt know what they were for , LOL- Recently I bought another parallel to review how I liked them after a year and half (a lot more) -just one- and I found it so usefu!!! l. Of course, I agree with you the Con-70 is not of much use on a 912... Those con 70 are useless or the system is not airtight enough, so it is very difficult to draw ink into the pens. On pens that use that system, I place a cartridge that I re-use. I don't know why people like so much the con-70.

The Con-20 is much better than the Con-70. I own many Pilot Vanishing Point and Pilot Elite and Pilot Prera fountain pens and I will only use the Con-20 in them. The Pilot Con-20 converter holds just as much ink that the Con-70 holds in it and it's a much better and a more reliable converter.

No. The con-20 is a squeeze converter with a chromed metal sheath. It'll hold the same amount as a CON-70 only if you use a syringe to fill it.

... in which case it is actually even better to refill the cartridges via syringe, same ink level but with clear sight of how much is still in there!

:happyberet: