Got My New Omas Vision Stub Today But....

sub_bluesy

This one is a Milord Vision in green with a factory stub nib. Its my only Omas with a stub. I was always under the impression that their broad nib was considered a stub but this one is very different. I picked it up secondhand but the nib profile appears to be factory stub along with the engraving on the nib.

I cant confirm or deny if someone besides Omas had worked on the nib but it looks and writes like it was ground by a drunken baby. It railroads at the drop of a hat and the grind on the bottom of the nib is super uneven and grainy. I can see the unevenness by eye. I cant believe this nib ever wrote well and whoever worked it must have been late to a lunch date.

I did some work to it tonight and heat set the feed. Its ridiculously wet and there was a good gap from feed to nib when I received the pen. It still throws down so much ink that it will not completely dry on paper after a good amount of time though. I cant get a sheet of paper between nib and feed after heat setting so the gap is right but its still crazy wet. The tine spacing looks pretty even so its not like theyre spread out too far or anything. This one is kind of a mess!

The rest of the pen looks great but the nib and feed is just ridiculous. The QC seal says the nib was originally in fine so I assume it was sent back for a nib exchange to a stub. God I hope this nib was not ground by Omas. Its just all kinds of screwed up. I worked on it for a while with a 10x loop but Im going to need to continue with a proper microscope to get it right. Im planning to sort it out next week. The problems with this nib/feed are new to me though so it should be interesting. Usually a heat set has sorted the super wet condition in the past but not this one. Its going to be a challenge! My other Omas Vision is super wet as well in medium so maybe this is a factory tune but its just silly wet. None of my other Milords are like this and that includes the wet rosewood/ebony models. Theyre wet but reasonable. Also even the clip tightness is different. I dare you to get a sheet of graphene between the clip and cap on this pen! Going to need to adjust that as well. Totally different than all of my other Omas pens.

Im really baffled by all this. This pen was one of the last Omas made as well as my factory tuned Paragon Ludovico Einaudi Signature. The Signature Paragon is perfect. I mean really, its the best pen I have! This Milord though is 180 degrees out. Omas must have been an interesting place to be during the last days. All I can say is that I sincerely hope the nibsmith who built my Signature Paragon has picked up a great job at Montegrappa or the like. That one is an artist whos talents should not be wasted!

Edited by sub_bluesy

Someday the mountain might get em but the law never will.........

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sub_bluesy

• Uncial

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a factory Omas stub on an Ogiva. It is truly a gusher. It lays down a serious amount of ink with a very soft, springy nib. It's not at all crisp but I find it a very enjoyable nib to use. Never had it railroad - I don't think that would even be possible. Right out of the box it was super smooth; no sharp edges, no niggly bits. The nib does give line variation (unless you push it - in which case it gives a lot - and it can actually be pushed to a surprising degree) but not as notable as an italic would due to the rounded edges of the stub. It's a shame you have had a bad experience because the stub nib is a real joy to use, especially if you like a very wet nib. I think it might be the wettest nib I own.

Edited by Uncial

I have a factory Omas stub on an Ogiva. It is truly a gusher. It lays down a serious amount of ink with a very soft, springy nib. It's not at all crisp but I find it a very enjoyable nib to use. Never had it railroad - I don't think that would even be possible. Right out of the box it was super smooth; no sharp edges, no niggly bits. The nib does give line variation (unless you push it - in which case it gives a lot - and it can actually be pushed to a surprising degree) but not as notable as an italic would due to the rounded edges of the stub. It's a shame you have had a bad experience because the stub nib is a real joy to use, especially if you like a very wet nib. I think it might be the wettest nib I own.

I just don’t understand what happened with this nib. I’ll correct it but I would say it’s beyond 1.5mm in width and so wet it’s like a river. Don’t get me wrong, I love a wet nib but this is just crazy. This nib is also very springy as you had noted. Really an interesting situation.

Yep, mine is close to a 1.5 alright. Very, very wet. With a shading ink it's a true joy. Its a little similar to Delta stubs but those nibs are very firm.

At the time I bought it I remember reading a blog about it in which two people (can't recall who, sorry) got their hands on one and simply said 'we both laughed.' It had the same effect on me; I knew exactly what they meant, but I can understand that it could make others weep.

Edited by Uncial

I did some more work to the nib today. The tines had been hanging up so the flow was artificially wet now and then. I got that sorted for the most part and reprofiled the nib to get rid of the uneven spots in the tipping. I’m going to floss the nib with 1500 paper a little more today and hopefully finish it up. I understand why the pen is so wet now after looking at it under a microscope. That feed channel is a mile wide! I’m going to look at the feed on my other Vision as a reference but I suspect it’s the same. The stub nib is much better though today and becoming more enjoyable. I guess the super wet feed goes along with the “water color” motif of the Vision pens. It’s starting to make more sense to me now.