Are New Parker Sonnets Still Problematic?

max dog

Despite all the issues reported with Sonnets, Parker still makes the Sonnet and promotes it as one of their best quality pens. Here is an excerpt from the Parker website today regarding the Sonnet:

Poetry in motion

Timeless and elegant,
Sonnet is hand assembled and checked for flawless quality.
The solid gold nib gives high precision and exceptional writing
comfort for every occasion, coupled with a stylish and classic design.
Available in a range of finishes, the Sonnet
is a work of beauty, emblematic of Parker craftsmanship

The 4 Sonnets I have acquired over the last 6 years have all been great writers, but I know there are many respected members in this forum who have given up on the Sonnet and sworn never to get another one. While I like the Sonnets, I am always hesitant to recommend the Sonnet to anyone in fear they will get a problematic Sonnet.

Are the current production Sonnets still problematic, ie skippy with flow and dry out issues? I think the Sonnet, if it weren't for it's bad reputation, are great pens with awesome balance and proportions, great looks, and smooth, pleasant, responsive nibs. After all, the Sonnet is the direct lineage to the classic Parker 75, 61 and 51s aren't they.

Sonnets are handsome looking pens in line with their 75, 61, and 51 predecessors.

fpn_1519023066__parker_03.jpg

I especially find the red lacquer Sonnet gorgeous. In normal lighting it is a reddish burgundy.

I would agree with Stephen Browns very positive assessment of the Sonnet.

Question here to all who have purchased a new production Parker Sonnet within the last 2 years.

What has been your experience? Have you had nib issues?

Edited by max dog

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• mitto

• alexwi

• Nicholas Green

It has one of the best nibs on the market. I own pens from 2004, 2008, 2010. The prerequisite to using a Sonnet is a light fountain pen hand i feel. I have no idea about current models or if the nibs are still soft like they used to be.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

It has one of the best nibs on the market. I own pens from 2004, 2008, 2010. The prerequisite to using a Sonnet is a light fountain pen hand i feel. I have no idea about current models or if the nibs are still soft like they used to be.

I agree. My most recently purchased Sonnet is from 2 years ago, a stainless steel Sonnet Flighter CT with steel medium nib, and it is smooth and springy with nice give in the tines for minor line variations. On par with the springiness of my Pelikan M200, but smoother than the Pelikan. I love the feel of the way the cap clicks shut. The snap on cap mechanism in the Sonnet is one of the best in the industry.

Edited by max dog

I currently have two Sonnets and they are always inked. I might consider buying more on ebay, but you have to ensure you're not buying a Chinese copy. :huh:

I only have 1 sonnet that I got last year, but the date code says it was made in the mid 2000s (can't remember exactly when). I've never had the "drying out" issue people talk about, but then it never gets left for more than a few days unused. The one I have is quite reliable and performs better than the Sheaffer Prelude I bought to match it. Also, as people noted, the snap cap feels soooo satisfying 😁

I have not used a Sonnet of today but have written with four different ones over the years, all gold-nibbed and all reliable writers. The most recent one I have used is the Special Edition blue and silver with M nib.

One interesting feature of the Sonnet B nib: by lowering or raising it to different angles it can write a line varying from BB to F and, turned upside down it can write EF.

The problems people have had with Sonnets, are they with both gold and steel nibs?

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

I've owned about 5. Sold them all. Replaced nibs with brand new on at least two of them. Every single one skipped and stuttered. I now have a Chinese lookalike that writes perfectly. So I'm definitely in the 'given up' camp. I'd never buy another. ;)

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Sonnet caps have had a redesigned inner liner for over two years now.

You can leave then untouched for weeks and they write first time - no drying out. Ditto Duofold caps which have had the odd little hole removed.

John

Edited by encremental

These were my nightmare pens, I eventually changed the nibs and applied a little silicone grease to the caps, they are now very nice, so much so I wouldn't mind another in a nice colour, mine are black and gold with steel nibs. The one that has R&K Verdigris is a dream to write with.

It's good to know about the new liners.

Edited by pseudo88

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Sonnet caps have had a redesigned inner liner for over two years now.

You can leave then untouched for weeks and they write first time - no drying out. Ditto Duofold caps which have had the odd little hole removed.

John

Yep, maybe so, but to be honest, I consider them to be expensive for what they are - to me, very average writing instruments. I know others will have different views, but there are so many other better pens out there for the money, IMO.

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

I concur with all the positive things being said about the Sonnet. I have mine since last summer, a flighter with a steel M nib, and it writes very smoothly and doesn't dry out.

Their new redesigned IM on the other hand.... Save your money.

I concur with all the positive things being said about the Sonnet. I have mine since last summer, a flighter with a steel M nib, and it writes very smoothly and doesn't dry out.

Their new redesigned IM on the other hand.... Save your money.

My views on the Sonnet are generally favourable too. I had an issue with ink flow on a Red G.T. Sonnet dating from about 5 years ago - I returned the pen to Parker and they replaced the nib, which solved the problem.

Most of the Sonnets I've used [and still use] are from the 1994 - 2007 era and they have all worked fine. It may be that there was quality control issue with some pens about 5 - 7 years ago?

I go through phases of thinking the Sonnet is the only pen I should own to other times avoiding mine like the plague. I have the Sonnet Dark Grey GT with an 18 nib.I have somewhat fallen out of love with the finish of mine. I do really want to get the lacquer Indigo some day.

I have almost 50 Sonnets. I like the looks of the Sonnet but majority of mine are suffering from the nib drying out syndrome. Only two I would say are excellent pens among these. A Firedance finish and a Fugere sterling silver with the twotone nib and two section bands. Both of these would write just like a P75 would. I have inked the Fugere almost two monts ago and even after leaving it unused for two weeks or more it starts writing the moment the nib touches the paper. So is the case with the Firedance. The rest are just to look upon and play with as I think these are beautiful pens. All my Sonnets came with gold nibs except two.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I have almost 50 Sonnets. I like the looks of the Sonnet but majority of mine are suffering from the nib drying out syndrome. Only two I would say are excellent pens among these. A Firedance finish and a Fugere sterling silver with the twotone nib and two section bands. Both of these would write just like a P75 would. I have inked the Fugere almost two monts ago and even after leaving it unused for two weeks or more it starts writing the moment the nib touches the paper. So is the case with the Firedance. The rest are just to look upon and play with as I think these are beautiful pens. All my Sonnets came with gold nibs except two.

Of the pens you have that suffer dry out issues, were any purchased new within the last 2 years? I'm just trying to determine if the current production Sonnets are OK now, so I can recommend them with confidence.

It looks like per John and others, the drying out issue on current production Sonnets are resolved, and they are quite reliable out of the box.

Yes, some of the Sonnets that suffer the dry out issues were purchased new in 2015-16.

I believe the claim by some (or perhaps by Parker?) that ailment in the Sonnet caps has been cured was made much earlier (than the last two years). It is said that the cap sealing mechanism was improved with the introduction of Sonnet Refresh line in 2008.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Mine have both been fixed so that they don't dry out, and they write straight away now.

One day I might find an Indigo at a decent price, then I would have collected three out of the same series: Moonbeam, Firedance and Indigo. :)

I had the chance of a Fougere once, but decided it was too expensive. :(