Perfect Blue Ink For Lamy 2000 F

ruru3109

Hi MaxDog, et al,

Perhaps not,... the L2K has an odd attribute of actually diluting color.

Nobody is really sure how, but colors generally come out a little softer than normal... if you're using a medium or broad nib... I cannot speak for the finer nibs; I have no experience with them.

Be well. :)

- Anthony

EDITED to focus quote.

Yes, ParkerDuofold, my experience is precisely that. And that is why I added Kodak Photoflo to get what i want :) If not, I had to constantly prime the feed after a line or two to get ink to flow the way I want. The Lamy2000F I have makes inks look out of breath, even an ink like Red Dragon could actually turn out rather pale without Kodak photoflo.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• minddance

• Almu

• max dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi MaxDog, et al,

Perhaps not,... the L2K has an odd attribute of actually diluting color.

Nobody is really sure how, but colors generally come out a little softer than normal... if you're using a medium or broad nib... I cannot speak for the finer nibs; I have no experience with them.

- Anthony

EDITED to focus quote.

What? :P

Seems to be the other way around with my medium Lamy 2000, it makes lighter inks look quite dark because the pen is rather wet writer. My extra fine 2K isn't quite as wet, but it still gives a bit darker line than my other pens with a similar nib size.

I attribute this to the nib grind, it seems to rub off ink that has been freshly laid on paper and does not allow the ink to form a solid wet line unless the flow is faster than the speed at which it rubs off.

My solution to this is to use or make inks that flow faster, use more absorbent paper, write slower. Of course, this is personal preference. I know there are people who enjoy seeing alot of pastel and translucent shades of ink on paper, I happen not to be in that camp :)

What? :P

Seems to be the other way around with my medium Lamy 2000, it makes lighter inks look quite dark because the pen is rather wet writer. My extra fine 2K isn't quite as wet, but it still gives a bit darker line than my other pens with a similar nib size.

Hi Almu,

See the lousy, poorly lit, poorly focused photo below and you can clearly see how much lighter Diamine Chocolate appears in the L2K, compared with other branded pens using the same ink.

http://i.imgur.com/ZqTaqwS.jpg

I've yet to find an explanation for it from anyone, but the L2K does have this quirk with certain inks.

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Yes, ParkerDuofold, my experience is precisely that. And that is why I added Kodak Photoflo to get what i want :) If not, I had to constantly prime the feed after a line or two to get ink to flow the way I want. The Lamy2000F I have makes inks look out of breath, even an ink like Red Dragon could actually turn out rather pale without Kodak photoflo.

Hi Minddance,

This is odd... my L2K's are wet pens... the inks flow freely and I never have to prime the feed... it's just the ink colors will often appear softer than normal.

Your pen sounds like there may be an issue with the feed itself. Has it always behaved this way?

- Anthony

Hi Minddance,

This is odd... my L2K's are wet pens... the inks flow freely and I never have to prime the feed... it's just the ink colors will often appear softer than normal.

Your pen sounds like there may be an issue with the feed itself. Has it always behaved this way?

- Anthony

Hi Anthony, as bewildering as it may seem, my Lamy 2000F has a wet feed too. But why then would a wet pen lay down inks that are paler?

I did not have to prime the feed to make it lay ink onto paper too, of course it writes without feed priming. Nothing weird about it. I prime the feed to make it write darker.

It is a nib issue. Ink flow can compensate for nibs with issues.

Edited by minddance

Hi Almu,

See the lousy, poorly lit, poorly focused photo below and you can clearly see how much lighter Diamine Chocolate appears in the L2K, compared with other branded pens using the same ink.

http://i.imgur.com/ZqTaqwS.jpg

I've yet to find an explanation for it from anyone, but the L2K does have this quirk with certain inks.

- Anthony

Hi Anthony, as you have illustrated, despite your Lamy having a wet feed, the final look on paper is a shade (or two) softer or paler than other pens.

It is not a matter of whether the pen works/write or not. It is a matter of how much ink it puts down on paper - the same paper ink - that compelled me to prime the feed and/or introduce Kodak Photoflo to my inks to provide the look and saturation I want from the same inks I write with.

Moreover, wetness and flow is not entirely a feed thing, nibs can be bottlenecks to a certain degree when it comes to flow :)

Hi Almu,

- Anthony

I haven't tried Chocolate Brown in my L2K, but I bet it would look almost black! :D. My TWSBIs, Jinhaos, Lamy Safaris, Platinums all write lighter than my Lamy 2000. Then again, each pen is different :)

,... the L2K has an odd attribute of actually diluting color.

- Anthony

EDITED to focus quote.

Not something My L2K achieves, its wet M nib puts down a strong line and, yes, Diamine Chocolate is virtually black.

Yet I do know what you mean because I have a P51 which does exactly that - gushes ink yet leaves a rather washed-out line. A strange effect which I am pleased to find isn't unique to that pen!

In my Lamy Safari I used the blue cartridge included with the pen and then tried others. The primary nib is EF.

The Lamy Blue was darker than Herbin Eclat de Saphir. The Eclat de Saphir looks to have a purple tint. Bleu Myosotis is even worse.

How does one apply the Photo-Flo 2000 trick? To a fresh bottle I assume. But how much?

I have other blues to hand, but they are darker.

I have a sample tube of Diamine Blue Velvet on order, which I will try before I buy any more Herbin. The closest to the factory Lamy Blue I have at this time is some Jinhao ink I extracted from some cartridges. I have no idea who actually produces this. It is a touch on the dark side, but better than the Eclat de Saphir.

My 2000 M is wet and spreads the ink nicely to give great shading and a wet line too. I think its the shape of the nib point. They are not completely round. Noodler Apache Sunset shades really nice in this pen even though its not a flex or stub nib.

My 2000 M is wet and spreads the ink nicely to give great shading and a wet line too. I think its the shape of the nib point. They are not completely round. Noodler Apache Sunset shades really nice in this pen even though its not a flex or stub nib.

Congratulations, MD, I think you hit on it!! :thumbup:

The squared off tipping on the L2K nib, disperses the ink, softening the color; whereas with the round tipping of a conventional nib, the ink is laid down with a far more concentrated and naturally darker line.

I have two L2K's and both of them write like the pic I posted above... the ink color is always muted... Jaberiele(sp?) and others here, have made the same observations with theirs, too.

Perhaps FotoFlo would help this situation, as it does for minddance, but I don't like to alter an ink for one pen... especially when it works fine in all the others... and doing that by the individual pen-full would be time consuming and cumbersome for my schedule.

It would also have to diluted... FotoFlo 200 uses a high concentration... I typically add ONE (occasionally two) DROP per FULL ink bottle and that does the job... two drops does wonders with Pelikan b/b in the 62ml bottle. :D

Thanks Max... I think you cracked the case. :)

- Anthony

Typo.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Not something My L2K achieves, its wet M nib puts down a strong line and, yes, Diamine Chocolate is virtually black.

Yet I do know what you mean because I have a P51 which does exactly that - gushes ink yet leaves a rather washed-out line. A strange effect which I am pleased to find isn't unique to that pen!

Hi Martinbir,

Do you have a loupe? Can you tell if the nib tipping on the diluting 51 is round or squared off?

- Anthony

In my Lamy Safari I used the blue cartridge included with the pen and then tried others. The primary nib is EF.

The Lamy Blue was darker than Herbin Eclat de Saphir. The Eclat de Saphir looks to have a purple tint. Bleu Myosotis is even worse.

How does one apply the Photo-Flo 2000 trick? To a fresh bottle I assume. But how much?

I have other blues to hand, but they are darker.

I have a sample tube of Diamine Blue Velvet on order, which I will try before I buy any more Herbin. The closest to the factory Lamy Blue I have at this time is some Jinhao ink I extracted from some cartridges. I have no idea who actually produces this. It is a touch on the dark side, but better than the Eclat de Saphir.

I personally wouldn't add Kodak Photoflo to these inks: Herbin, Iroshizuku, Sailor, Edelstein.

As much as I enjoy good flow from pens, Herbin and Iroshizuku do not seem to take Photoflo very well, if I absolutely must add it, then an extremely minute amount would make a big difference. Diamine, on the other hand, can take Kodak Photoflo quite well.

I wouldn't add Kodak to an entire bottle, although I have done it before, those were wilder days. Dip a toothpick or anything fine into Kodak, scrape off excess, smear it into the sides of your convertor before filling. Or after filling, dip the toothpick into ink. You will notice how ink starts not to cling onto the walls of your convertor if it previously did.

I am not an advocate of Kodak Photoflo but in some cases, I personally feel a need, especially on non-absorbent papers and dry pens to get the look I enjoy.

I do not have Diamine Blue Velvet but I am of the opinion that it might not require Kodak :)

The squared off tipping on the L2K nib, disperses the ink, softening the color; whereas with the round tipping of a conventional nib, the ink is laid down with a far more concentrated and naturally darker line.

Then again, I'm not getting similar results...

post-122696-0-67866600-1519379178_thumb.jpg

post-122696-0-17833500-1519379191_thumb.jpg

Despite my Lamy writing a lot broader than the X750, it still lays down a much darker line.

Only my Wing Sung 3008s write as wet (or even wetter) and dark as my Lamy 2000. The feed in those Wing Sungs can't keep up for long though, and they tend to write a lot drier after a few lines of text.

And to actually answer the topic, I like Sailor Souten in my Lamy 2000 (M, EF) :thumbup:

Then again, I'm not getting similar results...

Choco.jpg

Choco2.jpg

Despite my Lamy writing a lot broader than the X750, it still lays down a much darker line.

Only my Wing Sung 3008s write as wet (or even wetter) and dark as my Lamy 2000. The feed in those Wing Sungs can't keep up for long though, and they tend to write a lot drier after a few lines of text.

And to actually answer the topic, I like Sailor Souten in my Lamy 2000 (M, EF) :thumbup:

Hi, Almu, I very much like the look of chocolate brown from your Lamy2000M. Is that its default flow or had the feed been primed/freshly filled?

If all Lamy2000M were made like yours, I'd get myself one without hesitation. ParkerDuofold's writing sample provided me with reasons to hesitate and consider more thoroughly as to how my potential purchase of Lamy2000M would turn out.

Jinhao is the dry pen, despite reports of it being wet, I guess wet or dry is subjective. Only the final look on paper would answer my question of how dry/wet a pen/ink is.

I don't know if there are differing grades of the Visconti Blue ink, but there are certainly differing prices!

From ten pounds at the same place I bought my Lamy Safari to some asking twenty-four pounds online. There must be two sizes of that ornamental bottle, because that is a wide price variation.

Try as many paper types as possible. The cheaper spiral-bound pads and books must have coated paper, as I dug out a Clairefontaine Triomphe lined A5 pad which shows rather different results with the same inks and pens.

Hi, Almu, I very much like the look of chocolate brown from your Lamy2000M. Is that its default flow or had the feed been primed/freshly filled?

I had just filled both pens with ink. The Jinhao had very saturated feed, but I didn't fill the Lamy all the way and I tried to draw any excess ink from the feed after filling. It doesn't seem to make any difference though, the Lamy always writes a consistent wet line. I actually switched back to Sailor Souten right after that quick test and the pen wrote exactly like it did yesterday with the same ink...

If all Lamy2000M were made like yours, I'd get myself one without hesitation. ParkerDuofold's writing sample provided me with reasons to hesitate and consider more thoroughly as to how my potential purchase of Lamy2000M would turn out.

I think I know how you feel, I contemplated getting a medium 2000 for a long time... My extra fine 2000 had been absolutely perfect for me, but I wasn't sure if I'd get what I wanted with the medium 2000. I wanted a relatively broad and wet nib and luckily that's what I got :P

Jinhao is the dry pen, despite reports of it being wet, I guess wet or dry is subjective. Only the final look on paper would answer my question of how dry/wet a pen/ink is.

fpn_1519499663__img_3699.jpg

fpn_1519499679__img_3701.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

I like the Iroshizuku inks with the 2000. Asa-Gao or Kon-Peki or Tsuyu-kusa. That said, I settled on my Black Amber 2000 as being a match for a green, and went with Shin-ryoku.