Perfect Blue Ink For Lamy 2000 F

ruru3109

Hey guys ! So I currently have a Lamy 2000 F nib inked with some J.Herbin Eclat de Saphir and I begin to get tired of the purple-ish tint of the ink on some papers ! Do you have any suggestions for a quite saturated true blue ink that will match the smoothness of the F nib ?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• minddance

• Almu

• max dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have my 2000 medium filled with Lamy Blue. Not very imaginative, but I got tired of Bungbox Blue Black.

Diamine Royal Blue (I don't know why it is not frequently mentioned anywhere) has been my favourite ink in my lamy2000F lately, I dab abit of Kodak Photoflo to make it wetter for copier papers to gloss over the grainy surface. It is less purplish than eclat de saphir. Diamine Florida Blue with Kodak also works great, not much purple in it to my eyes and darker than Royal Blue.

They are, by nature, not saturated inks but Kodak Photoflo makes them flow so well that they sheen on many papers. And because of the amount of ink on papers, they stack up to give that saturated look. No transparent and shadey portions. Only solid vibrant blue. I wouldn't use Diamine inks in many pens especially Pilot and Platinums without Kodak Photoflo. Only a miniscule amount is required, do not add more.

I have been feeding mine with Visconti Blue for some years now.

You could also look at Monteverde Horizon Blue, or Blackstone Barrier Reef Blue if you want a wetter, lighter, more shading blue.

There is also Noodler's Blue, or Ottoman Azure.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I have been feeding mine with Visconti Blue for some years now.

Hi Ruru,

If you do not mind the price; Visconti Blue is also my choice for the ultimate deep, true blue blue. (Even though it's a royal PITA to flush out).

If you're more price conscience... check out Old Glory Blue from Birmingham Pens... it's a great, deep true blue that has great flow and lubrication and flushes out much easier.

The Monteverde Horizon Blue that DC mentioned is also pretty good... and I'll add Private Reserve American Blue.

Happy choosing... Be well. :)

- Anthony

Hi Ruru,

If you do not mind the price; Visconti Blue is also my choice for the ultimate deep, true blue blue. (Even though it's a royal PITA to flush out).

If you're more price conscience... check out Old Glory Blue from Birmingham Pens... it's a great, deep true blue that has great flow and lubrication and flushes out much easier.

The Monteverde Horizon Blue that DC mentioned is also pretty good... and I'll add Private Reserve American Blue.

- Anthony

I've been eyeing that Visconti Blue for quite some time now ;)

Hey guys ! So I currently have a Lamy 2000 F nib inked with some J.Herbin Eclat de Saphir and I begin to get tired of the purple-ish tint of the ink on some papers ! Do you have any suggestions for a quite saturated true blue ink that will match the smoothness of the F nib ?

Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo, specially with a fine nib... It even works with the extra fine nib!

Diamine Royal Blue (I don't know why it is not frequently mentioned anywhere) has been my favourite ink in my lamy2000F lately, I dab abit of Kodak Photoflo to make it wetter for copier papers to gloss over the grainy surface. It is less purplish than eclat de saphir. Diamine Florida Blue with Kodak also works great, not much purple in it to my eyes and darker than Royal Blue.

They are, by nature, not saturated inks but Kodak Photoflo makes them flow so well that they sheen on many papers. And because of the amount of ink on papers, they stack up to give that saturated look. No transparent and shadey portions. Only solid vibrant blue. I wouldn't use Diamine inks in many pens especially Pilot and Platinums without Kodak Photoflo. Only a miniscule amount is required, do not add more.

Hi Ruru,

- Anthony

Is the American Blue a true pure blue ?

Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo, specially with a fine nib... It even works with the extra fine nib!

Thank you for the suggestions ! Indeed I'm a little bit price concious, I was eying a CdA Idyllic Blue, but for 45$.... big NOPE ^^ Do you guys have any experience with Presidential Blue, Blue Velvet, China Blue and Kesington Blue ? Those were in my list to decide, among Diamine Royal Blue and Visconti...

So less purplish blues? Tsuyu Kusa... Sailor Souten... Kon Peki... Équinoxe 6... Ama Iro, from "bluer" to more greenish. All those greenish blues vary wildly depending on the wetness of the nib.

fpn_1517867370__blues_tomoe_river.jpg

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I often do a google image search for inks I'm interested in. You get a wider range of photos from different people - so you can guess the range the color might be in person. And often you can find chromatography photos (which will show if there are different color dyes in the ink) or water tests (which may or may not reveal different color dyes in the ink).

Anywho, I'd recommend you try it.

Is the American Blue a true pure blue ?

Thank you for the suggestions ! Indeed I'm a little bit price concious, I was eying a CdA Idyllic Blue, but for 45$.... big NOPE ^^ Do you guys have any experience with Presidential Blue, Blue Velvet, China Blue and Kesington Blue ? Those were in my list to decide, among Diamine Royal Blue and Visconti...

PR American Blue (along with PR DC Supershow Blue, Monteverde Horizon Blue and Noodler's Elysium Blue) is a deep pure blue in the Parker Penman Sapphire group of blue inks.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

As a blue lover myself, I really like Pilot Iroshizuku Asa Gao, Tsuyu-Kusa and Kon-peki. Also, I love many of the DeAtramentis blues including Giuseppi Verdi, Sapphire Blue and Sherlock Holmes., and Steel Blue is one of my very favorites, but it does have a bit of turquoise cast to it. Aurora Blue is another fantastic blue. Many people also like Noodler's Liberty Elysium. I also love Graf von Faber Castel Cobalt Blue - it is darker and has a slight grayish cast. Another group of blues that I like are the L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio blues, including Bleu Mediterranee, Bleu Ultramarine (very dark and saturated) and Bleu Azur (lighter but a true blue).

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

As a blue lover myself, I really like Pilot Iroshizuku Asa Gao, Tsuyu-Kusa and Kon-peki. Also, I love many of the DeAtramentis blues including Giuseppi Verdi, Sapphire Blue and Sherlock Holmes., and Steel Blue is one of my very favorites, but it does have a bit of turquoise cast to it. Aurora Blue is another fantastic blue. Many people also like Noodler's Liberty Elysium. I also love Graf von Faber Castel Cobalt Blue - it is darker and has a slight grayish cast. Another group of blues that I like are the L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio blues, including Bleu Mediterranee, Bleu Ultramarine (very dark and saturated) and Bleu Azur (lighter but a true blue).

I actually gave Asa Gao a try, and it came out darker than I thought it would be ! Maybe it's because of the F nib or a dull bottle, but it's not as bright as I saw in reviews ! I'd like to stay around the Herbin Sapphire brightness/vibrancy but without the purple tint ^^ Kon-peki is too teal for my taste and Steel blue not really what I'm after... Visconti Sapphire looks interesting tho

Is the American Blue a true pure blue?

Hi Ruru,

But of course; I would not have recommended it, if it were otherwise. :)

- Anthony

ETA: If you prefer finer nibs... they will make it appear darker than you may like... :unsure:

Later today, I'll try to do a writing sample for you.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Iroshizuku Asa-gao is really good! I would also highly recommend KWZ Standard Azure #3 and Kobe #17 Shioya Blue.

If you're looking for something darker, I second the recs for De Atramentis Giuseppe Verdi and Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo.

Igave it a try and looks darker to me than most reviews ! Dull bottle, doesn't behave well with my pen .... Dunno ! So I want something "less dark" or that behaves better with the pen

Cross Blue is a true blue. Sheaffer Skrip Blue and Waterman Serenity Blues are too. These should come out plenty saturated in a Lamy 2000.

Edited by max dog

...These should come out plenty saturated in a Lamy 2000.

Hi MaxDog, et al,

Perhaps not,... the L2K has an odd attribute of actually diluting color.

Nobody is really sure how, but colors generally come out a little softer than normal... if you're using a medium or broad nib... I cannot speak for the finer nibs; I have no experience with them.

Be well. :)

- Anthony

EDITED to focus quote.

Edited by ParkerDuofold