101N Tortoise

DrCodfish

There was an auction for a NOS 101n Tortoise that ended a couple hours ago hours ago on eBay. Wondering if it was an FPNer who won it?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrCodfish

• Christopher Godfrey

• Claud

• Bo Bo Olson

101n is a series of reproductions. This the one I was bididng on:

s-l1600.jpg

I quit the bid at $356.00, it sold for $357.00. Np telling how far the winning bidder was willing to go, but I believe I was beaten by a snipe bid. Really wish I had bought one of these when they were first released, been kicking myself ever since.

If you lost by one dollar in $357 then it was definitely a higher limit bid or snipe. Otherwise, the winning bidder would have had to add a higher increment.

X

Interesting, I thought that packaging started with the red tortoise edition?

I believe you are right, also this is a M101N not a 101N.

Peter

<I quit the bid at $356.00, it sold for $357.00>

What a shame, Codfish! Sorry you lost out -- it <is> the prettiest of them all (the modern reproductions or tributes) You'll get one...something will come along, as Sargetalon recently reassured me in another instance.

It's always frustrating to me to lose a bid by $1 even when I know the winner likely had a fair bit more in reserve. Sorry you lost out. Be patient though and I'm sure one will find its way to you.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Ah, that one! Too rich for me atm. unfortunately, had my eye on it though. Will likely remedy this at some point provided I find one with a nice pattern (like that one had).

Right. I'm not crushed or anything like that, I set my limit, made my bid and it didn't work out. I didn't watch this wind down to the last minute, I was on vacation out at a remote spot on the rugged Pacific coast in Washington State. (better things than pens). But all the more frustrating because I had opportunities for two of these last fall at about $300 each. Problem was at that time I was sinking a big chunk of change into renovating my Koi pond (you think pens are expensive !) Like many of you, I am confident one will come along, so far it has been more about being in the right place, at the right time (with the right amount deposited in the expendables account)

Oh and yes I apologize, M101n vs the classic 101n.

Sniped or not, that was a higher bid.

I needing the adrenaline, wait until the last 15 seconds to make my one and only bid.

I've been sniped at less than the last second.

From I won to I lost in less than half a breath.............the things one will do for adrenaline....when wallet driven.

Though there are a few rare occasions I just make my high bid and forget about it...not waiting for the Day Of Surprises.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Ah, that one! Too rich for me atm. unfortunately, had my eye on it though. Will likely remedy this at some point provided I find one with a nice pattern (like that one had).

Mana:

You know that means that some where down the road you and I may be bidding recklessly against one another. Let's settle this right now:I'll flip a coin, you call it, heads or tails. I'll let you know if you won the toss. If you win the toss you can have it, if I win the toss then you won't bid against me. OK?

• 2 weeks later...

What was the last one of the M101N "reproductions" or any version of that number, that was last produced. I have most of the reproductions, starting with the five Originals of Their Time series. Then the Brown and sort of tortoise, followed by the Snake, and the last one I got was the Red sort of funny tortoise or more accurately a mix of tans and off brown in what kind of looks a bit like a strange wood grain. Then I missed out on the all red sort of swirled (mottled) colors. Was there another after that or was the RED the last one?

Fair winds and following seas.

To the best of my knowledge, the all red one was the last. Nibs.com has them for $420 I think and there are less expensive ones on Ebay. Nibs .com price includes shipping and a Mottishaw tuned nib. I recently ordered the red tortoise from him.

Edited by Claud

I just bought one of these without a nib. I happened to have a Vintage 140 BB nib and it fit just fine. Wonderful pen!

oldrifleman, I certainly remember one being offered sans nib (here or on eBay? I forget...) Good on you! It's a most attractive pen.

I am <expecting> this thread to be revived by the OP; but it seems as though he is lying low, just at present...hmmm...(Where's the doctor, when you need him?)

You know the old (new age?) expression: "It didn't happen if there aren't pictures'. It's big in the Mtn biking world anyway.

So, as Christopher alluded, I was able to snag one of these beauties recently. I think this is one of Pelikan's better looking modern reproductions. Like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get pattern wise. I like this one for it's reddish brown stripe running from the binde through the cap.

38920369310_6cad39fd95_k.jpgP1000457 by Doctor Codfish, on Flickr

38920369740_28a38cbbd1_k.jpgP1000469 by Doctor Codfish, on Flickr

I would have posted sooner but this is a baking weekend for me, my other OCD hobby.

Edited by DrCodfish

Congrats Doc. I would ask you what you paid, but I think the forum Mods would be disturbed. Of these reproductions, I like this one best followed by the red tortoise.

:D

And where's the clapping smiley when you need him, too?