The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Hello From South Central Pa

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 GC2001

GC2001

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2018 - 18:15

Hello

I am new to fountain pens and looking to learn more.  I bought a Jinhao 159 rollerball around Thanksgiving and then saw that there was a fountain pen version.  I had never used a fountain pen up to that point and became hooked once the pen and ink arrived.  I recently (today) won an auction for a Cross Radiance FP.  I am looking forward to figuring out what kind of converter and ink cartriges it takes.

Sponsored Content

#2 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2018 - 19:03

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. 

#3 tbickiii

tbickiii

tbickiii

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2018 - 21:07

Hello and welcome from Baton Rouge, Louisiana...Enjoy your time here

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

#4 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,746 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2018 - 21:17

Hello and welcome to FPN.  :W2FPN:​ 

flying-letter-exc.png

#5 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 13,792 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2018 - 21:39

Howdy from Pittsburgh!  :W2FPN:

My understanding is that there are two different types of Cross converters -- one kind just pushes in and the other is threaded and screws onto the back of the feed.  I know because I have a Cross Solo (push-in type) and a Cross Verve (screw-in type).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#6 Nibbler

Nibbler

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2018 - 22:34

Welcome from Lincoln, UK. You're in a lovely place and on the brink of a life-long addiction interest. I don't have any Crosses though - good luck. 

#7 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,309 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2018 - 23:25

Greetings and welcome to FPN.
Khan

#8 DasKaltblut

DasKaltblut

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 00:42

Welcome! I'm trying to guess where south central is, because I'm in central! :)

#9 GC2001

GC2001

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:56

Thanks all!

DasKaltblut, South Central PA is Lancaster, York and Adams Counties according to the Game Commission

Edited by GC2001, 19 February 2018 - 01:57.

#10 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:23

Welcome home.  Pull up a stump and set a spell.

The time is the very late 50s and very early 60s and Ike was retiring back to his beloved Gettysburg and a new young Boston Brahman and US Senator was entering the political stage and in Amish country the carriages were adding reflectors, some even lights, for safety on the narrow country roads. A few miles north of Lancaster was the small town of Lilitz, population maybe 4000 during the summer and the home of the Wilbur Chocolate Company.

Spring in Northern Maryland and Southern Pennsylvania in that era was wondrous. It was an area of small family farms on some of the most lush and fertile soil in the US worked by Amish and Mennonite, a land of great but simple foods, rolling hills with a new and startling view around almost every bend. It was easy to see why this area had been desired by both the Penns and Lords Baltimore, desirable enough to fight over and fight over it they did.

It was a time before air conditioned cars and the windows were rolled down. There had been a short shower and the tires hissed on the pavement and the smell of ozone and freshly cut grasses and flowers newly blossomed filled the air. But it is with the Wilbur Chocolate factory that this tale begins and a lush, mouth filling chocolate filled with creamy caramel.

Illy coffee reminds me of that day, flowery with a hint of fruit, of chocolate and soft smooth caramel, of ozone and fresh mown grass. Illy is the antithesis of the typical Starbucks espresso, it has no hard corners, there is no hint of chrome or steel, it is a small table in a garden under an umbrella, sitting quietly with that friend, the one you no longer even need to speak to but rather just revel in their company, a period beyond clocks or schedules, where the only deadline is to be aware of the moment.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#11 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,413 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:14

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#12 Henricum_Tropen

Henricum_Tropen

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:56

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

#13 DasKaltblut

DasKaltblut

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 20:31

Thanks all!

DasKaltblut, South Central PA is Lancaster, York and Adams Counties according to the Game Commission

Which is weird, because they are not in the center of state. Especially Lancaster - that is definitely east!

#14 Wahl

Wahl

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,420 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2018 - 20:50

:W2FPN:

#15 DaveT

DaveT

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,398 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2018 - 22:55

Hello and welcome from Indiana!

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

#16 omarcenaro

omarcenaro

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:31

Welcome! You will find lots of great information here and many suggestions to expand your collection.
Cheers,
Ozzy

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"George Orwell

#17 Actor-out-on-loan

Actor-out-on-loan

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2018 - 17:04

Yo!

from Philly.

#18 Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

• Member - Gold

• 1,204 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2018 - 17:54

Welcome aboard, from Charleston, SC.

#19 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 13,792 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2018 - 22:23

Which is weird, because they are not in the center of state. Especially Lancaster - that is definitely east!

I just looked at a map, and "south central" PA looks more like it would be the area around Chambersburg.  Which is now making me wonder how Harrisburg got to be the state capital -- it's not really centrally located (not even the halfway point between Pittsburgh and Philly...).

But what do I know?  I grew up in SE NYS, within 50 miles of Manhattan, and New Yorkers say that anything beyond the East River is "upstate".... :angry: 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#20 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 14,416 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 15:58

Welcome !  

I regret to suggest that Cross uses proprietary Cross accessories.  Good hunting !  

Grateful to Jar for the memories.  Maryland was the "Land of Pleasant Living".  My memories 

are of horses at  Sagamore, and Glade Valley, and Al Mayrah.  

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

Sponsored Content

|