After You Have Flushed Out Your Pelikan Pen, Do You..........

Claud

leave the piston plunger in or out to dry off? To store? Just flushed out my new and one inked pens with two flushes of clean cool water, then a flush with Goulet's pen flush , then four more flushes with cool clean water and began wondering about this question.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• DrCodfish

• BillH

• Claud

Top Posters In This Topic

Piston down, standing in a cup in a wad of paper towel overnight. I don't remove the nibs unless I'm changing nibs or putting a little silicone on a piston.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Piston down, standing in a cup in a wad of paper towel overnight. I don't remove the nibs unless I'm changing nibs or putting a little silicone on a piston.

This. :) I shake the pen several times first to get out as much moisture as I can. Good grip is essential. -_-

Both Tasmith and BillH's methods are sound. I tend to take the nib out of modern pens and not vintage ones. I also give mine a shake a la Chrissy with a tight grasp. Air dry overnight and reassemble in the AM.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Thanks guys. This cleaning is something I have been doing quite often since I have started with new pens for the most part and ink them soon after delivery to check out their performance. I now only have one undelivered pen and its a Sailor piston fill (Relo) I ordered from Nibs.com, and my two old birds which are being restored.

I am about to begin a regular rotation where I use a pen until the ink is out then switch pens. I will have 3 pens inked, Black, Blue and one other ink.

Do you people have hard water? You could probably use the calcium more than the pen would. You could use distilled water.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Do you people have hard water? You could probably use the calcium more than the pen would. You could use distilled water.

I use only distilled water. Paper towels to absorb the moisture from feed and nib. Q tips to dry up the inner walls of the barrel.

I'm a piston up person, while standing the pen overnight in a wad of something very absorbent -- kitchen paper or old soft cotton cloth. After washing in good tap water, removing nothing, I draw up the piston to expose wet surfaces as much as possible before standing, then give the piston a slight movement so the knob is not locked tightly. The last I do also after filling.

X

Aaah, when I agreed with piston down, I meant the piston knob screwed down as though the pen was filled with ink. That effectively means that the piston seal inside is up at the top of it's travel. That gives the barrel a chance to dry out. :huh:

I tend to take the nib out if I'm using iron gall (usually Diamine Registrar's BB) and give that an extra good cleaning, otherwise it stays in unless I need to regrease the barrel. I've flung the pen in my hand with the piston all the way down to force as much water towards the feed (hopefully it's just water at that point) after flushing a few times. I don't leave the piston extended overnight.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

About the same as Chrissy, however, if I know this one is going to be out of the rotation for a good long time, I place it in my box with the nib and cap removed for days or even weeks to assure that all is dry, then reassemble the pen.

The vintage parkers (Duofolds) ate left with the cap removed from the pen to avid discoloration.

I do it differently if I am just changing inks versus taking out of rotation. Sometimes with the piston at top (like filled) sometimes at bottom (like getting ready to fill), shake and then put in a cup with some paper towel over night if going out. If I am just changing inks, I will just fill and take my chances with diluted ink.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

About the same as Chrissy, however, if I know this one is going to be out of the rotation for a good long time, I place it in my box with the nib and cap removed for days or even weeks to assure that all is dry, then reassemble the pen.

The vintage parkers (Duofolds) ate left with the cap removed from the pen to avid discoloration.

Make sure they're dry, eh? Spoken like a Washingtonian. Here in Rattlesnake Junction we have 10-12% humidy part of the year, and even this week it'll be 33-37%. Have to fill the dog dish twice a day whether he drinks it or not :lol: Pens are usually dry overnight here. Of course, so is everything else...

Edited by BillH

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Always distilled water. If you make a habit of using distilled water then t won’t matter if you accidentally leave some moisture inside the pen