The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Your Favourite And Least Favourite Chinese Pens

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 holgalee

holgalee

pen friendly person

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:25

Thanks to the frankunderwater website, I got to know about the interesting and original fountain pens being made in China. Having purchased some over the past few months, I must say I like almost all of them very much, so much so that I'm concerned about my Japanese pens as they're not seeing much use.

So the challenge is for us to describe your up to two each of our favourite and least favourite Chinese pens. Do give some reasons so that others can learn more about the pens. These reasons can be personal, rather than due to manufacturing or design. Here are mine for now:

Favourite: Caliarts Ego 2
Almost identical to the Twsbi Eco in size (only realised when I put the pens side by side), this pen comes with a clear feed and piston mechanism, as well as an EF and F nib. It looks more refined than the over-chunky Twsbi and writes smoothly. Went on to get many more pieces of the pen. :)

Second favourite: Penbba 323 in red ice
This is an addictive pen brand for sure, and it will be challenging to get just one. I now have three, one each of the 308, 309 and 323. Another 309 is on order. The shape of the pen is unique and I enjoy its light weight and lack of a huge step down from the barrel. It can be used with the included conveter (seems to be proprietary but I thought I read that the Parker one fits) or made into an eyedropper, thanks to the two o-rings.

Least favourite: Kaco Sky
Okay, don't hate me but I didn't realise that the pen had a rounded triangular section that is a little wide. I've never really bonded with pens that have triangular grips due to the way I hold my pens. Most people will not find this to be an issue for them, and I can only blame myself for not looking hard enough at the photos.

Edited by holgalee, 18 February 2018 - 11:29.

Sponsored Content

#2 k3eax

k3eax

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2018 - 13:13

Thanks to the frankunderwater website, I got to know about the interesting and original fountain pens being made in China. Having purchased some over the past few months, I must say I like almost all of them very much, so much so that I'm concerned about my Japanese pens as they're not seeing much use.

https://frankunderwa...r-chinese-pens/

The above is provided for those  who have failed, it would seem to be presumed, to commit to memory the frankunderwater site's address.

#3 DasKaltblut

DasKaltblut

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 15:39

Since I have somewhere around 60 Chinese pens...choosing a favorite is hard. Right now, I'm really enjoying my Moonman 80.

Least favorite is the "Jinhao Red Wooden With Rotten Carving Flower Medium Nib Fountain pen". It's nice looking (not actually rotten) but it takes all my strength to get the cap off. No idea how to make it better.

#4 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2018 - 17:07

Favourite: Kaigelu 316
Least favourite: Guang Leming 812. A pile of poop. Given as a freebie, and not worth as much as I paid for it. Did review it years ago. Fortunately Chinese penshave moved on massively since then.

Regards

Richard.

#5 sansenri

sansenri

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2018 - 23:05

My favourite: Baoer 388 (Parker Sonnet inspired) works great, almost no step down section/barrel like too many other chinese pens.

Does not dry out when left unused 24 hours (most other chinese pens I have, do...)

fpn_1518994071__baoer-388-blue-grain-and

Kaigelu 382 is almost identical to the Baoer 388, and works equaly well.

fpn_1518994235__kaigelu_382_blue.jpg

Second best: Kaigelu 316 (Parker Duofold inspired), somewhat back heavy uncapped but bearable considering all the rest works very well and it looks great

fpn_1518994496__kaigelu_316_century_star

Honorable mention for the Wing Sung 698, a very nice piston filler, nib is compatible with Pilot Plumix's

fpn_1518994982__wing_sung_698_demonstrat

The worst: Wing Sung 842.

An interesting pen which unfortunately is badly flawed, it leaks at the nib/section collar (it's an older model from the 90's) and the nib was dramatically scratchy before micromesh

fpn_1518993557__wing_sung_842_green_1.jp

#6 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:09

LOL ... those old vintage 90's Wing Sung, and then some others are prone to develop leaks in those area mentioned. Almost always requiring a disassembly and fixing te cracked sealing. Any way having literally hundreds of Chinese pens old and new its pretty hard for me to nail it down to the best and the worst. But OK at this moment my favorite goes to the Hero 565 and Delinke New Moon ( original model ). Liking the Hero for its classic P52 inspired profile but loving it als for its size. The New Moon is a petite pen but fits quite well in my ( Asian size S ) hand without trouble. Got a rather nice EF ib which is very useful in day to day usage.

As for my least favorite , well that got to go to all the vintage dual use pens of those 80's especially those with the open #.4 and 4.5 nib, they were just not fun to use and generally behave erratically despite their simplicity in mechanism and build. To be fair most of them are kind of alright but the overall execution is down right boring and workmanship is short in supply. Specific models might be OK or even great but in general they lack the appeal of their normal fountain pen counter part.  

#7 holgalee

holgalee

pen friendly person

• Member - Gold

• 1,185 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 14:37

Thanks for the link, k3eax! 

https://frankunderwa...r-chinese-pens/

The above is provided for those  who have failed, it would seem to be presumed, to commit to memory the frankunderwater site's address.

#8 holgalee

holgalee

pen friendly person

• Member - Gold

• 1,185 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 14:40

DasKaltblut, why do you like the Moonman 80? Please share.

Sorry to read about the tight fitting cap. I believe some slip caps, especially those for metal pens, often have some metal prongs in them, will trying to flatten one or two prongs help? May need to try it incrementally.

The name of the pen is really funny though, sounds like something mangled by Google translate!

#9 holgalee

holgalee

pen friendly person

• Member - Gold

• 1,185 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 14:47

Sansenri, thanks for sharing about your pens and the amazing photos that accompanied them. Were those shot using a DSLR camera? I miss having one and only take sub-par photos using my phone camera nowadays. But then again, I've always struggled with product photography, so perhaps I shouldn't blame my tools. Lol.

I like the looks of the Kaigelu 382 as I prefer flat-topped pens, so that's one more pen for me to check out. I have only one Kaigelu pen right now and the quality is good although I haven't used it as it's meant to be a gift/replacement for a friend.

Those Wing Sungs with Sheaffer inspired nibs look lovely but I haven't gotten one yet as I find aerometric fillers hard to use, there seems to be less ink and more air than there should be.

#10 holgalee

holgalee

pen friendly person

• Member - Gold

• 1,185 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 14:52

Mech-for-i, we can count on you to share about interesting Chinese pens and your encyclopedic knowledge about them. I've not known about the Hero 565 so I need to check it out now. Was thinking of getting the Delike New Moon as I like the orange pen and don't need the metal fittings in the new version of the pen. Do you have the new version too, and why do you like this pen?

What are the vintage dual use pens of the 80's?  Sounds intriguing.

#11 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2018 - 16:31

Mech-for-i, we can count on you to share about interesting Chinese pens and your encyclopedic knowledge about them. I've not known about the Hero 565 so I need to check it out now. Was thinking of getting the Delike New Moon as I like the orange pen and don't need the metal fittings in the new version of the pen. Do you have the new version too, and why do you like this pen?

What are the vintage dual use pens of the 80's?  Sounds intriguing.

FOA, there were vintage Wing Sung Triumph nib equipped model that take converter, ostl the smaller sized nib models .. 

I have both the new and old version of the New Moon, while the Mfr claim improvement to the newer version. I see it differently. Its different alright, with metal fitting on the coupler and trim. Its larger , longer and generally would fit more people's hands but the overall pen part is still the same. The new one do seem to have a better fitting converter but the old one is doing fine. They are to me just different but similar ( to be expected anyway ).

Ah those old dual use fountain pen .... Gash ... you can check out a sample of such ( Yangtze 206 ) , which is very typical of the pen in question. Basically someone in Chinese pen industry think its a good idea to shorten the ink sac / converter and leave the barrel with enough space on the end to fix a screw ? twist extract mechanism for a short Ball Point refill ( sort of like a Bic refill but cut very short ). This is in vogue in the mid 80's but production of various models goes to mid 90's. Almost all the major model got something like that, including hooded nibs ( Hero 226 is the version that take the 616 and made it so ), Triumph nib Wing Sung 727 ( fashion from WS 236 ), but mostly with student pens with open nib in the no.4 or 4.5 size. Styling wise they are actually quite nice, balancing the nib with similar chromed end but most models are not very appealing when it comes to writing

And you can check out my Hero 565 - HERE

Edited by Mech-for-i, 22 February 2018 - 17:07.

#12 oneill

oneill

RETIRED MAGISTRATE

• Member - Gold

• 1,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:01

My favourite: Baoer 388 (Parker Sonnet inspired) works great, almost no step down section/barrel like too many other chinese pens.

Does not dry out when left unused 24 hours (most other chinese pens I have, do...)

fpn_1518994071__baoer-388-blue-grain-and

Kaigelu 382 is almost identical to the Baoer 388, and works equaly well.

fpn_1518994235__kaigelu_382_blue.jpg

Second best: Kaigelu 316 (Parker Duofold inspired), somewhat back heavy uncapped but bearable considering all the rest works very well and it looks great

fpn_1518994496__kaigelu_316_century_star

Honorable mention for the Wing Sung 698, a very nice piston filler, nib is compatible with Pilot Plumix's

fpn_1518994982__wing_sung_698_demonstrat

The worst: Wing Sung 842.

An interesting pen which unfortunately is badly flawed, it leaks at the nib/section collar (it's an older model from the 90's) and the nib was dramatically scratchy before micromesh

fpn_1518993557__wing_sung_842_green_1.jp

FOA, there were vintage Wing Sung Triumph nib equipped model that take converter, ostl the smaller sized nib models .. 

I have both the new and old version of the New Moon, while the Mfr claim improvement to the newer version. I see it differently. Its different alright, with metal fitting on the coupler and trim. Its larger , longer and generally would fit more people's hands but the overall pen part is still the same. The new one do seem to have a better fitting converter but the old one is doing fine. They are to me just different but similar ( to be expected anyway ).

Ah those old dual use fountain pen .... Gash ... you can check out a sample of such ( Yangtze 206 ) , which is very typical of the pen in question. Basically someone in Chinese pen industry think its a good idea to shorten the ink sac / converter and leave the barrel with enough space on the end to fix a screw ? twist extract mechanism for a short Ball Point refill ( sort of like a Bic refill but cut very short ). This is in vogue in the mid 80's but production of various models goes to mid 90's. Almost all the major model got something like that, including hooded nibs ( Hero 226 is the version that take the 616 and made it so ), Triumph nib Wing Sung 727 ( fashion from WS 236 ), but mostly with student pens with open nib in the no.4 or 4.5 size. Styling wise they are actually quite nice, balancing the nib with similar chromed end but most models are not very appealing when it comes to writing

And you can check out my Hero 565 - HERE

Hi There  can I please try to help you with your DRY-OUT problem, having  edited the webpages of Jinhao- Baoer for some years it was brought to my attention that the convertors in either of the pens do not get washed out using a tiny drop of dishwash liquid  after they come through the  manufacturing process so they need a GOOD Flush with small quantities of Flushing then a good rinse after which generally solves the problem,that is the ONLY problem I have experienced so good luck let me know how you get on,Trust Me, Oneill

#13 Ebberman

Ebberman

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:15

@ oneill - Please enlighten me regarding the flushing you mention.

#14 Aramchek

Aramchek

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 13:18

Favorite: Either the Wing Sung 400 or the Wing Sung 698. The former is super smooth, reliable (once I replaced the leaky section!)  and quite pretty, while the latter looks better and suits my hand better. Not to mention that it has a piston filler (with a lock!) while the 400 is a C/C with a rather crappy converter. 

Least favourite: Hero 200. While I certainly have Chinese pens that are worse writers, they where also a lot cheaper. What really bothers me is that 1)I had high hopes for the nib since it on photos looks like the same as the one on the WS400 (although with a different logo) but turned out to vastly worse and 2)it dries out ludicrously quickly. If I cap it and leave it for a few minutes, I will then have to spend a few minutes priming it to get it to write!

Annoyingly, I looked for info on it before I bought it and found very little, and after I got it and discovered how bad it was I found a review that described how bad it was. I'd have saved a fair bit of money and annoyance if I hadn't somehow missed that one

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:6 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3 Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

#15 bugsydog55

bugsydog55

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2018 - 01:56

I also have more Chinese pens than I can possibly ever use-but they are such fun.  Favorite------a tie between the Jinhao X450 and the Wing Sung 618.   I really enjoy the writing sensation with the jinhao and the new Wing Sungs are difficult to beat at their price point anywhere.  Second-------Jinhao 992 and Wing Sung 3008.   Superb writers and practically free-what is not to like.   Sorry about the lack of ability to choose just one but my favorite is always the one I'm using at the time.   The worst-------there are also many contenders for this dubious honor.  It's the other side of the coin, there are outstandingly great pens and there are cataclysmically awful ones.   For my 2 cents, which is what these are worth, the worst are the Hero 616 knockoffs followed by some of the Hero student pens (1 to 2 dollars).  The 616's don't even make good darts being hooded nibs but they are great for project pens and tear downs and can be made to write if sufficient effort is put into them.  This is only dealing with the "fake" ones.  The real ones are actually very good.

#16 JayKay3000

JayKay3000

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2018 - 00:23

Favorite:

Jinhao 1200 in black - Good looking medium nib pen. Smooth writing and the dragon clip is fun. In black and gold it looks a lot nicer than the blingy textured gold and silver versions.

Jinhao - 8802 - Woody - Nice writer, wooden covered barrel, fine nib.

Jinhao - 911 -  Metal bodied hooded nib cartridge converter pen with smooth fine writing nib. Grip is really nice and the pen is light.

Least Favorite.

Wing Sung 3003 - Ok nib, but didn't like the actual use of a demonstrator fountain pen or the look.

Wing Sung 3001A - Nice design and light. Felt way too cheap for me. Fun clear feed, but it wrote terribly and didn't care for the looks to fix it.

Jinhao X250 in gold / yellow effect - Such a smooth writing pen with a perfect snap cap requiring small force. Looks really nice and wrote extremely smooth. Let down by its section that my fingers would slip off even when dry. Unable to write with it without my fingers ending up on the paper.

--------------

#17 DasKaltblut

DasKaltblut

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 00:39

Favorite:

Jinhao 1200 in black - Good looking medium nib pen. Smooth writing and the dragon clip is fun. In black and gold it looks a lot nicer than the blingy textured gold and silver versions.

Jinhao - 8802 - Woody - Nice writer, wooden covered barrel, fine nib.

Jinhao - 911 -  Metal bodied hooded nib cartridge converter pen with smooth fine writing nib. Grip is really nice and the pen is light.

Least Favorite.

Wing Sung 3003 - Ok nib, but didn't like the actual use of a demonstrator fountain pen or the look.

Wing Sung 3001A - Nice design and light. Felt way too cheap for me. Fun clear feed, but it wrote terribly and didn't care for the looks to fix it.

Jinhao X250 in gold / yellow effect - Such a smooth writing pen with a perfect snap cap requiring small force. Looks really nice and wrote extremely smooth. Let down by its section that my fingers would slip off even when dry. Unable to write with it without my fingers ending up on the paper.

--------------

The Wing Sung 3003 in solid colors is nice. Also less prone to cracking.

Edited by DasKaltblut, 13 March 2018 - 22:26.

#18 oneill

oneill

RETIRED MAGISTRATE

• Member - Gold

• 1,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:30

@ oneill - Please enlighten me regarding the flushing you mention.

In answer to your question about Flushing all I do is to take a very small drop of Amonia   add to that an even smaller drop of Dishwashing liquid plus a cup full of ordinary or distilled water,never HOT flush out until water looks clear,if that does not work repeat process ,if that does not work replace convertor with another brand because Jinhao And Baoer convertors when being manufactured under an oil process which is NOT rinsed off in the final stages and this is what causes them to clogg,I hope this method solves your problem,Trust Me, Oneill

#19 oneill

oneill

RETIRED MAGISTRATE

• Member - Gold

• 1,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:12

Favourite: Kaigelu 316
Least favourite: Guang Leming 812. A pile of poop. Given as a freebie, and not worth as much as I paid for it. Did review it years ago. Fortunately Chinese penshave moved on massively since then.

Regards

Richard.

Richard the previous email should solve your problem It always worked for mewhen I used to Edit for them the machine oil was never ever washed out,so change the Convertor or flush thoroughly Oneill

#20 old4570

old4570

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2018 - 04:25

Just one pen ...  The Moonman M2 ...

Least favorite with Factory EF ( 0.38 ) Nib ...  Horrible horrible pile of Hyena Droppings . 

With 0.5 NIB thats been smoothed , much better , now I can actually like the Moonman M2 . I really like everything but the NIB , with a really good NIB this could be a one stop shop fountain pen . 

( Don't need to own other fountain pens ) 

Sponsored Content

|