The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Conklin Classic From Goulet Pens? Any Recommendations?

conklin classic goulet

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 gerigo

gerigo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2018 - 20:39

I understand what you're saying. I have ebonite pens from India that cost $12, the Conklin Classic which is over $100, Eboyas which cost close to $400, and the KOP which is close to $800. Yes of course the other 2 pens are "not in the same category" because they have gold nibs. But in essence they all have ebonite bodies, and I love them all.

I don't think it's unfair at all, considering the OP asked if it was a worthwhile purchase.  And if you look at a few reviews on Goulet's site of this pen, a few customers have been unsatisfied with the build quality, while others love it.  So there it's not a case of "This is made in Italy so it's a cut above Indian pens."  It's the typical Conklin experience.  If you get a good one, great.  If you don't, it'll be "okay."  In this case, if it's "Okay," it's $140.  It's not a $40 Duragraph you can just accept if the threads are a bit sticky.  I think it's very fair to say "There are other options here."

We aren't comparing a Mercedes with a Toyota.  We're comparing pens made of ebonite, with the same shape, with the same nib, with the same filling system.  It's not apples to oranges.  It's comparing different apples.

Sponsored Content

#22 eharriett

eharriett

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2018 - 20:39

I don't think it's unfair at all, considering the OP asked if it was a worthwhile purchase.  And if you look at a few reviews on Goulet's site of this pen, a few customers have been unsatisfied with the build quality, while others love it.  So there it's not a case of "This is made in Italy so it's a cut above Indian pens."  It's the typical Conklin experience.  If you get a good one, great.  If you don't, it'll be "okay."  In this case, if it's "Okay," it's $140.  It's not a $40 Duragraph you can just accept if the threads are a bit sticky.  I think it's very fair to say "There are other options here."

We aren't comparing a Mercedes with a Toyota.  We're comparing pens made of ebonite, with the same shape, with the same nib, with the same filling system.  It's not apples to oranges.  It's comparing different apples.

Well that's a good point.  I was wondering if anyone else noticed some of those reviews.

#23 Kevan

Kevan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 21:07

Unless someone thinks I have an axe to grind or something, I *love* Ebonite pens.  It's my favorite pen material.  I love how it feels, I love how it smells.  It blows acrylic away IMO.  And if I hadn't already bought enough pens in November and December, I'd probably seriously think of buying one of these, even though it's close to a Ranga model 3.  I think the Firelines is gorgeous....but then again, I love that woodgrain red ebonite, since I have a Bexley Prometheus in the same material.

The Conklin clip is great.  The pen looks great.  I just am sitting here with several Rangas, and even though we've all gone to great lengths to justify pen purchases, especially ones that are more expensive than they probably should be, I'm replenishing my pen budget for the new Stipula Etruria.  I couldn't get the Conklin just to see if I'm wrong about it.  Part of me wants to....make no mistake.  But I can't.

#24 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 21:38

...So there it's not a case of "This is made in Italy so it's a cut above Indian pens."  It's the typical Conklin experience.  If you get a good one, great.  If you don't, it'll be "okay."  ...

Generalizations about build quality by country are rarely helpful because of how often they are inaccurate in specific circumstances. The same is true when we generalize about people by country (side note).  ;)

#25 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2018 - 23:01

+1

When your wanting to know if the writing experience will be any different than other ebonite pens, especially ones with the exact same design, its fair to understand that it really isnt between what you will find with Ranga or Asa, and the Conklin Classic. These companies also appear to be open to making these pens with customer provided material as well, so if you like a different ebonite better it can be used instead while still being cheaper than the Classic. I have seen no difference in the customer service between these companies, their distributors, and Goulet, they all are great, and very responsive. I have yet to need to return, adjust, or repair an Indian ebonite pen.

Edited by JakobS, 01 March 2018 - 23:07.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#26 woleizihan

woleizihan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2018 - 19:02

I was also quite interested in the pen a while ago, especially the pumpkin spice color. However, the price seems a little steep for me. If it has a gold nib at the current price point or a crescent filler or as is and below $100, I would be very tempted.

"special edition, produced in single batch that will only be available for a period of time " is essentially marketing and just don't get fooled by that. IMO, these are just vague words no one can verify. What does a special edition mean? How large is this single batch? How long is this a period of time? Even if it's really in the sense people will normally interpret, none of these will make the pen better than what it actually is.

If you seriously want a modern Conklin, I would suggest get a crescent filler. The steel nibbed older version normally runs well under $100, including those "limited editions". The gold nibbed newer flattop version, limited edition as well, can also be found at $175. They are better values IMO.

#27 MBDostoevsky

MBDostoevsky

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2018 - 13:01

If you seriously want a modern Conklin, I would suggest get a crescent filler. The steel nibbed older version normally runs well under $100, including those "limited editions". The gold nibbed newer flattop version, limited edition as well, can also be found at $175. They are better values IMO.

Thanks... appreciate your advice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: conklin, classic, goulet

Sponsored Content

|