Folded Box To Present Pens

mke

I plan to give away some pens as presents. But I don't like the boxes from pen makers - too much box. As I am living in Japan where paper is a preferred option for presents, I made a presentation box by myself. I am not yet satisfied by the outcome but, nevertheless, I will show you the way I have done it. I "testfolded" a box using some heavy paper but I plan to use Japanese paper (washi paper) for the real presentation boxes. There are so many beautiful Japanese papers, I can really adjust the design of the box to the person receiving the gift and the pen presented. A black pen, e.g., will look beautiful in a silver-coloured box.

Please try and don't hesitate to show your results.

Here is the box folding method - LINK.

Click on a picture to see it enlarged.

Edited by mke

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cherylmarie

• ParkerDuofold

• mke

• Inky_paws

Top Posters In This Topic

Nicely done. My daughter loves Origami and is very good at it, though you wouldn't believe it to listen to her. I'll pass this on to her.

Hi Mke,

Looks good to me... :thumbup: ...God bless ya if you've got the time to do that. :)

- Anthony

Thanks for the link! I gave a few of my pens to friends at Christmas, I wish I had thought of making my own boxes.

I went to the link and saw the paper box you made. It's very cute. I like it. And the boxes could be made to whatever size and shape you need for the particular gift pen. Very nice. What a good idea.

I have made one box, without measuring anything, from a magazine laying around at work.

For a better result I have stapled the folded parts.

Here it is my test box:

http://i65.tinypic.com/1rzql0.jpg

Thank you for the idea. I just bought two fountain pens to give as a wedding present and have been thinking about how to present them --one pen for the bride and one for the groom, with a shared bottle of ink (Sailor Tokiwa Matsu, to evoke the "aioi no matsu," or paired pines, symbolic of marital felicity).

It was also interesting to look at other posts on your blog, like the one about writing kanji. For a while I experimented with an italic nib, to discover how close I could come to the correct stroke endings. But ultimately, there is nothing like a brush.