Used 146

stevekolt

I just received an MB 146 that I bought from a fellow member here. It is slightly smaller than the 146 I bought from FPH a year ago. It has a solid clear ink window, and the clip band says Germany, with no serial #. In addition, the piston threads are resin, not brass, and the caps are not interchangeable between the two. I am assuming this is not a counterfeit, the size difference just stuck out to me. What do the experts here have to say?

Edited by stevekolt

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• jmnav

• AndyLogan

• stevekolt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The older 146s are smaller. The bumped up the size to match the larger 147 at some point. I can't recall with certainty, but I think it was the 1990s. The clear window indicates and older model so nothing suspicious.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Yes to all the above. My experience with "older" Montblanc versions is evidently non-existent. Thanks for the help folks.

Hi:

I just received an MB 146 that I bought from a fellow member here. It is slightly smaller than the 146 I bought from FPH a year ago. It has a solid clear ink window, and the clip band says Germany, with no serial #. In addition, the piston threads are resin, not brass, and the caps are not interchangeable between the two. I am assuming this is not a counterfeit, the size difference just stuck out to me. What do the experts here have to say?

I'd say there are some incongruencies there. Mind you, this doesn't mean you have a fake or counterfeit but, most probably, a pen that was serviced in some moment of its life (Montblanc not repairing or paying attention to historicity but just exchanging parts with whatever is on their procurement line by that moment).

Plastic piston threads points us to a 1975-85 model (but I thought the size was already the "modern" one by that date, being a bit shorter only the "mythical" 69-75 transitional -and, of course, the 50's model). If an early one within the 75-85 period, the ink window should be blueish, greyish for the newer ones, and monocolor nib, as @zaddick stated (and ebonite feed). But, the clip should be marked W. Germany, not just Germany, which, AFAIK happened later (about the 90's).

Regarding the cap, I'm not that expert, but they should be interchangeable (heck, they are interchangeable even between the older 50's model and the late 90's one).

Some photos of the "key" elements (nib, feed and section, opened blind cap and cap showing the clip) would be of help.

Edited by jmnav

The transitional 146 was in 1960. Then the 146 disappeared while the double digit slim, modern pens took over the product line.

I think the W. GERMANY stamp was only used on the clips for part of the 1980s and early 1990s.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Hi:

I'd say there are some incongruencies there. Mind you, this doesn't mean you have a fake or counterfeit but, most probably, a pen that was serviced in some moment of its life (Montblanc not repairing or paying attention to historicity but just exchanging parts with whatever is on their procurement line by that moment).

Plastic piston threads points us to a 1975-85 model (but I thought the size was already the "modern" one by that date, being a bit shorter only the "mythical" 69-75 transitional -and, of course, the 50's model). If an early one within the 75-85 period, the ink window should be blueish, greyish for the newer ones, and monocolor nib, as @zaddick stated (and ebonite feed). But, the clip should be marked W. Germany, not just Germany, which, AFAIK happened later (about the 90's).

Regarding the cap, I'm not that expert, but they should be interchangeable (heck, they are interchangeable even between the older 50's model and the late 90's one).

Some photos of the "key" elements (nib, feed and section, opened blind cap and cap showing the clip) would be of help.

I have been advised by Montblanc that caps between older models and newer models of 146 pens are not interchangeable. In fact wasn't someone looking for a cap as a replacement and he had already bought one that didn't fit?

This is the reason that when you have a damaged cap on a 146 you have to send the pen to Montblanc so they can be sure you get one that fits.

I have been advised by Montblanc that caps between older models and newer models of 146 pens are not interchangeable. In fact wasn't someone looking for a cap as a replacement and he had already bought one that didn't fit?

This is the reason that when you have a damaged cap on a 146 you have to send the pen to Montblanc so they can be sure you get one that fits.

As I said, I'm not an expert... I said "a later 90's model" since I know my 1998 146's cap matches perfectly my 50's 146's barrel (except for the fact the older model is cellulloid and the modern one is plas^H^H^Hrecious resin, of course).

The transitional 146 was in 1960. Then the 146 disappeared while the double digit slim, modern pens took over the product line.

That's news to me (not that my ignorance of those issues is that surprising anyway).

I thought the transitional plastic model (but still using the same nib and convex metal ring at the piston thread than the fifties model and a size somehow in the middle between the 50's and "modern") was a 1969-70 thing -that is, after the long disappearance of the 146 model, maybe using old stocked parts, instead of something before the decade-long hiatus.

I think the W. GERMANY stamp was only used on the clips for part of the 1980s and early 1990s.

Yes but, AFAIK, the 70's models didn't stamp Germany at all on the clip (as it was in fact West Germany back then) so, plastic thread: up to 1985; within that, older short clip, up to 1980, and "modern" W. Germany engraved clip, 1980-85. I don't think there is a time when you could get a factory-new plastic 146 with both plastic threads and just "Germany" on the clip (again, not that it's so difficult that I were proved wrong).

Edited by jmnav

• 2 weeks later...

Good day folks!

I've recently rekindled my love for fountain pens and I'm really interested in acquiring a used MB146, found one on ebay but I have some doubts, being a newbie and all, also is it possible to know the NIB size for this? apparently the seller doesn't know anything about fountain pens. Attaching pictures found on the seller's website. Could you guys please share your thoughts?

post-141810-0-85097600-1519584708_thumb.jpg

post-141810-0-22954400-1519584724_thumb.jpg

post-141810-0-13742100-1519584736_thumb.jpg

post-141810-0-77048800-1519584745_thumb.jpg

post-141810-0-61464000-1519584755_thumb.jpg

post-141810-0-30825900-1519584768_thumb.jpg

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

Why is there a spot of fluid on the third picture?

It could indicate a crack in the resin - which will cost to get repaired.

I'm not saying the resin is cracked - but it could be. That's what happened to my 146 - a scratch developed into a crack. I got droplets on the section because ink was seeping through the resin.

@Sandy101 good eye, I havent really noticed that, I was just thinking that the seller might have forgotten to wipe the pen after dipping it in ink. thank goodness the seller was good enough to post high resolution pics, I think the seller is from Hong Kong, which raised a red flag for me, but I think the seller isnt familiar with fountain pens, hence my apprehension to purchase the pen.

The pen looks genuine to me, and probably an F nib. But if you have a bad feeling about it, stay away. There are lots of 146s and 149s on the used market, especially if you are satisfied with an F or M nib. There's no need to jump on the first one offered to you.

@Sandy101 good eye, I havent really noticed that, I was just thinking that the seller might have forgotten to wipe the pen after dipping it in ink. thank goodness the seller was good enough to post high resolution pics, I think the seller is from Hong Kong, which raised a red flag for me, but I think the seller isnt familiar with fountain pens, hence my apprehension to purchase the pen.

How long has the seller been selling on eBay, what's his reputation like, what feedback is there from buyers? If the answers to those questions are ok, don't worry, members with a reputation will want to protect it and even if you are sold a pup or a copy, eBay will refund your money.

Ask the seller a couple of questions such as "what is the spot of liquid on the section, does it leak or is it a crack?", "is this a genuine Montblanc?". If you don't get the right answers then you know what to do.

Edited by BillNick

How long has the seller been selling on eBay, what's his reputation like, what feedback is there from buyers? If the answers to those questions are ok, don't worry, members with a reputation will want to protect it and even if you are sold a pup or a copy, eBay will refund your money.

Ask the seller a couple of questions such as "what is the spot of liquid on the section, does it leak or is it a crack?", "is this a genuine Montblanc?". If you don't get the right answers then you know what to do.

Thanks Nick, I guess I'm much more wary now in doing bids. I spend a ridiculous amount of time scrutinizing montblanc pens offered on ebay because I'm not very familiar with it even though I've done a lot of reading and research. I guess part of the reason is I haven't really examined one upclose IRL.