Looking For A New Workhorse Pen

plunksna

I think it is time to look for a new workhorse pen. I really want a pen which will just work 100% of the time, for years. I am currently using a Lamy 2000 fountain pen. I have had it for about 8 years and it has just been back to Lamy repair for the second time. I can't help feeling it is approaching a "use by date" as both repairs have been for failure of the plastic. First time was for the filling knob breaking off, this time the section parted company with the body. Both times there was no impact or force involved (the section came off while in a pen sleeve in my satchel!). Overall I don't think it has been that heavily used (a lot of my stuff is on computer these days).

Now let me set the standard of what I am looking for. Back in high school I had a Parker 45. This lasted from the time I received it, through the rest of high school, even with the rough treatment a school pen gets, lasted through my university studies, and kept going for several years of my working life. This pen saw so much use that not long after starting work I had to replace the nib as the original nib had worn out, the iridium tip had been completely worn away. In the end it was retired because the action of putting the cap on and off had worn through the side of the section! This pen saw a lot of use. I am looking for a new pen which will last this well.

So anyone have any pens whey could recommend? I generally run a european fine nib, and prefer a smooth writer.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• plunksna

• ParkerDuofold

• Jezza

• voltron

Any Pelikan Classic or Souveran series pen depending on your preferences for size & weight as they not only make for a great choice as EDC but will also last decades if taken care of properly. Just like Lamy 2000, they are also piston fillers but with screw-in nib units which not only helps in cleaning but also makes it easier to replace nibs in case one gets damaged or worn out.

Edited by voltron

Hi Plunksna,

Well, I am fortunate that my experience with the L2K does not mirror yours... although, mine isn't eight years old yet, either. :unsure:

There are also members here that would question the irridium wearing down to the nub on your 45,... but I am not one of those people... :) ...I'm not a nit-picker. :D

I can't believe I'm saying this... :ninja: ...but have you considered a Parker 51 Aerometric... or my namesake?

- Anthony

Just to follow-up...

Voltron is on the right track with Pelikan, but if you have larger hands and/or long fingers... you might find the 200 on the small side... I got rid of mine.

I do enjoy my 600... and have the added benefit of a gold nib... but that's your call,... either way.

- A.C.

While I'd be the first to second the Pelikan suggestion, pre-owned Parker 45s, in good to excellent condition, are plentiful on ebay (you might even find some here in the classifieds); you might luck onto NOS, as well. I bought several and only got one dud.

If you do go with Pelikan, where you say you prefer a fine, the gold nibs on the M4xx and up, in my experience lay down a wider line than the comparable steel-nib M2xx size; my gold EFs write more like the steel Fs on my 150s and 200s.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Thank you for the replies so far. I did consider another Parker 45, but not being into vintage pens, I am not sure how well the converter with the rubber sac lasts. Would the Parker 45 take a modern piston converter?

The Pelikans could be an option. I have a M200 but found it too small for me, I have larger hands. Perhaps one of the larger ones. How well do the threads for the screw cap hold up? I tend to cap and uncap frequently.

Actually, is that worn out Parker 45 still with you? It could be quickly restored to writing condition by swapping in a new nib unit and section. Replacement NOS nibs and sections are still readily available, the nibs more so than the sections, but with a little searching the latter can still be found.

That's one thing I like about 45s, that the parts interchange so readily, and new parts can be swapped in as needed. (This does eventually lead to a sort of Theseus's Ship situation, though - at what point does it still remain the "original" pen? :lol: )

Or you could get another Parker 45 and keep your old one as a parts pen.

The Parker 45 converters that use the clear sac last well-nigh forever, as long as they aren't abused. That said, modern Parker twist/piston converters will also fit in the 45.

Alternatively, you could consider an aerometric Parker 51, which is even less prone to wearing out than the 45 is (more robust plastics, fewer moving parts/dismantle-able sections that can break, no stress on plastics from the cap because of the way the 51 clutch mechanism works, etc.)

Meanwhile, allow me a little jaw-drop moment - to have the nib tipping wear out and the section erode in the way you describe, you must have truly done a ton of writing! I have a Parker Super 21 that used to be my father's school pen, and later became my school pen, and it is still in regular use today - and there is only a little wear to the nib tipping after all these years of use, a slightly oblique flat spot that always reminds me of my father's writing posture. I can only imagine how much writing your 45 must have produced! Truly an astonishing story. Write on :thumbup:

Edited by KLscribbler

Perhaps a solid metal pen like a Karas Kustoms or a Namisu? About the only thing that coyld break is on those should be the nib unit, which is easily replaced (although I've heard the finish on Karas Kustoms wears quickly).

Thank you for the replies so far. I did consider another Parker 45, but not being into vintage pens, I am not sure how well the converter with the rubber sac lasts. Would the Parker 45 take a modern piston converter?

The Pelikans could be an option. I have a M200 but found it too small for me, I have larger hands. Perhaps one of the larger ones. How well do the threads for the screw cap hold up? I tend to cap and uncap frequently.

If you have larger hands consider getting an M600 or M800 as M400 is of same size as M200. Some people feel that brass piston mechanism in M800 & M1000 makes them too heavy & clunky to be used for long writing sessions but it also depends on your grip & amount of pressure your fingers exert on the pen while writing with it. I have medium sized hands hence prefer M2xx/M4xx. And the threads for the screw cap are pretty solid so so shouldn't be a problem even if you cap & uncap it frequently. Please also keep in mind that Pelikan gold nibs (Souveran Series) generally produce a wider line than the equivalent steel nib.

Edited by voltron

Five Star Pens has replacement barrels and sections for the Parker 45. Just got one myself, as one of my 45's went through the laundry and the barrel broke. Couldn't find barrel alone, so got both and did a color change. (burgundy to forest green) Five Star may have NOS pens or nibs as well. Just a well satisfied customer.

The aerometric 51 is a terrific suggestion as well. But if you prefer something that is new/never used, Pelikan is a good option. Do you prefer a lighter pen, such as the 45, 51 or M200 or M400 or something heavier? The M800/M1000 would be ~30 grams plus. The M200/M400/M600 would be in the 15-20 grams range. Not sure what a 51 or 45 would be, but would be closer to the 20 gram +/- range. Of course, there are a lot of other options. But my Pelikan's and my Parker 45's and 51's are among my most reliable. The oldest 51 is from 1948.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I would cast my vote for a Sheaffer Legacy if you want modern, or a Parker 51 if you want vintage. Both options will last you many happy years.

"Why me?"
"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"
"Yes."

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

If you lean toward vintage, I would recommend another Parker 45 or a Parker 51. I use both on an almost daily basis and love the durability as well as the dependability.

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

Sorry to hear about your Lamy. Ive had great luck with mine, but I suppose it hasnt hit the eight year mark, so perhaps its premature. Im not too sure about your preferences, so its tough to say what will suit you. On the inexpensive side, you could get a Lamy Safari and a gold nib. Then, just keep the nib and replace the body when it wears out, or when Lamy comes out with a new colour you enjoy. My everyday pens consist of Parker 75s, Parker Duofold Internationals, the aforementioned Lamy Safari, or a number of great Japanese pens. Any Pilot Custom, Platinum 3776 Century or Sailor 1911 would be a perfect daily pen. Theyre consistent, reliable and great writers.

Edited by Jezza

It is interesting the number of replies suggesting I go with a Parker 45 or 51. I had not considered that when I asked the question. I still have my original pen, too many memories to throw it away. I also somewhere have a second hand Parker 45 which my memory is that it feels of lesser build quality. I am not sure if they changed plastics along the way, or if it is just that my original 45 feels different due to all the use. I will need to think more before I can decide if this is a path I want to go down.

The Lamy 2000 is a great pen. Definitely one of my favorite pens Always reliable, always started right away, very nice to write with. About 3 years ago the cap which operates the piston snapped off when I was filling the pen. Lamy repaired it quickly and it came back working very smoothly. I considered it a one off event and continued to use it. Then more recently the section parted from the body. Lamy repaired it, but it just doesn't feel like the same pen anymore, I guess I just don't trust it any more.

In terms of what pens I like, I would say medium size, big enough for someone with larger sized hands, but not so big that it becomes heavy. I don't post the cap, a habit from my frequent capping and uncapping. I like a smooth writer. European fine nib. Not a shiny bauble, but a clean simple looking pen. Typically I have bought a pen which is sufficient to be reliable, but not expensive enough to worry about damaging it (I work in labs and production environments).

Thank you for all the responses so far!

Well, if your pen is eight years old, the section was a known problem that caused Lamy to redesign it. And the 2000 clutch cap is one of the most reliable and repairable, since the cap can be completely disassembled. Snap-fit caps are a weakness in modern pens. Most of them rely on a plastic inner cap that expands and then contracts around the pen section. Eventually, this inner plastic cap either wears down, or splits. The only solution is to replace it. Older pens, like the Parker 51, 75, or several others used a metal clutch that lasted longer.

At any rate, if you dont post the cap, the Pelikan M200 and M400 will likely be a bit on the light and short side. The Lamy Safari I mentioned earlier would meet your snap-cap preference, but theyre super light if you dont post the cap. Perhaps a Parker Sonnet would work for you, or a Waterman Caren. They have snap caps, but also a little bit of mass to them. Theres also the Lamy Studio. Of course, a Lamy 2000 is pretty hard to beat. Eight years of regular use is going to take a toll on any pen.

Someone who thinks the Parker 45 is a great pen ought to just buy another. Shouldn't be too expensive.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

OK i will admit that I am a Pelikan fan... but that's only because they look so pretty, write wonderfully and last for decades... pretty much all you could ask for in a pen. If the 200s are too small (I have one and completely understand) go with a 600 or 800. You will not be disappointed.

Sorry to hear about your issues with your 2000 ... that's actually my main pen at work.

If it's for work, I would suggest a Parker 51 or a Sheaffer PFM (although the latter one carries a 2x price tag on average, compared to the '51)

-k

I have a Waterman Gentleman in Fine that has seen frequent use for more than twenty years. I have not had to replace the nib or even the converter during that time.