Piston Filler Repair

ArjanD78

Hello everyone,

I bought a vintage piston filled pen. When I turn the filling knob, the whole mechanism comes out. Can anyone help how to put this together?

The nib says "Dauer feder 4" and the cap is engraved "Stella"

Thank you

Arjan

post-135665-0-95503400-1518796276_thumb.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ArjanD78

• fountainbel

• CS388

• Inksomnia

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arjan,

The pen is a mass produced plastic piston filler made in the early fifties of last century.

I'm not sure, but expect the section unscrews , the seam being just in front of the barrel threads,

You can try to apply heat around the threads to get the kit elastic and screw the section out.

But It looks the nylon piston seal is missing, so I don't expect the pen can be made functional again.

Wishing you succes,

Francis

I think section doesn't unscrew, I had one stella and it was solid piece, ink window was just glued there. Even if it unscrews, I would advice not, it is really easy to break. Nib and feed should be friction fit, if I remember correctly. You are missing piston head. Look in barrel if there is anything stuck. Because it is later piston filler, piston seal might be working. This seems surprisingly clean, so maybe there isn't piston seal at, because these seal fit other piston fillers as well.

Thank you for helping out

There is a black circular thing in the barrel, just behind the ink window. It has a profile in the shape of the end of the piston rod. I tried pushing the rod in, but I can't get it in. It seems stuck...

But how to get it out?

A piece of wire with the end bent into a hook? Get it through the hole in the centre of the seal and pull?

If it doesn't come out easily, don't force it. It may be stuck due to old ink, or just age. If it is stuck, I'd try soaking the barrel for a day or so? Or use some penetrating oil - but wash it out afterwards, in case it affects the barrel material.

Good luck.

You could try to "wiggle" the nib and feed out, probably best after soaking overnight.

Grip firmly over nib and feed , wiggle and pull .

The nib alone may come out, but once the nib is out the feed will easily pull out

Once the nib and feed are out you can push the piston seal trough at the rear.

Wishing you success !

Francis

You could try to "wiggle" the nib and feed out, probably best after soaking overnight.

Grip firmly over nib and feed , wiggle and pull .

The nib alone may come out, but once the nib is out the feed will easily pull out

Once the nib and feed are out you can push the piston seal trough at the rear.

Wishing you success !

Francis

Thanks for helping out. This worked. The piston head was stuck in the barrel.

I removed the nib and feed, pushed an unwired paperclip in en got it out from the back.

It now goes up and down. With a lot of friction though, but I'll try some silicon grease on that.

Thanks a lot! I'll let you know how it writes once I've inked it up.

Arjan

Thanks for helping out. This worked. The piston head was stuck in the barrel.

I removed the nib and feed, pushed an unwired paperclip in en got it out from the back.

It now goes up and down. With a lot of friction though, but I'll try some silicon grease on that.

Thanks a lot! I'll let you know how it writes once I've inked it up.

Arjan

Excellent! Yes, grease it up and use it.

Nice work.

Disaster! Greased the piston, inked it up. Wrote with it. Bit skippy, bit scratchy, bit dry. But hey, it writes!

The I noticed my inky thumb. A crack in the section...