The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Nakaya Piccolo In Titanium? Why So Much $$

nakaya piccolo titanium

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sub_bluesy

sub_bluesy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:32

Does anyone have one? Ive been kicking around the idea of picking up a Nakaya for years but in ebonite/urushi. That seems more fitting to the Japanese art of pen making. I would absolutely love to pick up that titanium Piccolo as well but the price completely mystifies me. They are going for roughly $1k without options! Hundreds more than a urushi Naka-ai! There are a few titanium pens in my collection that are in the Japanese style but those have been no more than $200. I understand you get a great gold nib with the Nakaya and a clip but am I missing something here? I dont believe Nakaya does any special finishing to the pen. It looks to be left in a machined finish. Im just trying to understand what I would be paying so much for in the titanium pen. I also get Im paying for the name as well but my impression is that the titanium pen doesnt follow any traditional Japanese Pen making skills that most people are willing to pay extra for. Im completely mystified here. Couple snaps of the Nakaya followed by my Namisu. Please help me understand!

Attached Images

• D4AFC0A4-CED4-4C1E-8003-1A7BFC2F2E20.jpeg
  • BE059E84-8781-41C1-ABAC-9C8B069F8AAC.jpeg
  • 9C7229AD-647B-4891-8053-5A38E9ED7A60.jpeg
  • 4D03CA2A-71E3-46FB-9950-58129805040E.jpeg

Someday the mountain might get em but the law never will.........

Sponsored Content

#2 Wolverine1

Wolverine1

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:11

You are paying for the name, and that it is  going to be a wonderful pen with a great  nib. Heck, even a regular Piccolo costs a lot more than $200.00 , so, expect a titanium pen to cost a lot more. Did you think a Nakaya is going to be similar to some el-cheapo  ballpoint pen?

#3 AoKiu

AoKiu

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:31

I have one with ruthenium trim and SF nib. It is way too heavy for the shirt pocket and doesn't get much usage.

Ubi bene, ibi patria.

#4 dapprman

dapprman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:22

The tooling for titanium is very expensive, so I assume with limited numbers they get the pens manufactured else where to their designs and that boosts the price.  Let us not forget it was the purchasing and experimenting with titanium that helped effectively bankrupt OMAS.

#5 fabri00

fabri00

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2018 - 13:12

The price of a product is not always related to the production cost of it.
In many cases is the maximum price that a customer can pay for that product.
Therefore I don't think there is too much to understand.

#6 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2018 - 16:08

I have a namusiu and it scratches my gold nib. If i would, id try again with the Nakaya.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nakaya, piccolo, titanium

Sponsored Content

|