The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

The Right Tool For The Job

10 replies to this topic

#1 howdydave

howdydave

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:36

I had a nib and feed stuck in a Noodler's Ahab pen and I pushed it out with a chopstick.

In the future, if I need to push a feed out that has a shaft in the middle, I was thinking about using my watchmaker's staking set but I don't know whether or not a steel punch would damage the feed. 

Wa'ja think?

staking set.jpg

Edited by howdydave, 16 February 2018 - 02:46.

Sponsored Content

#2 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:41

Gently? Idk... waiting on experts.

#3 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,867 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:21

Not all that different from a Knock Out Block used by pen repairers for getting nibs out.

Attached Images

• knockout.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#4 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:21

Having both, I use the knockout block on the rare occasion I want to remove a feed. Mine came with steel drifts so that seems similar, although I appreciate the idea of using a suitable short wooden dowell (or chopstick) as a drift.

My reasons are two: firstly, the knockout block typically has more, and more suitable, hole options; secondly, the block is normally wooden, not hardened steel like a staking set table.

The forces on the section when you punch the feed are no less than on the feed itself, so cushioning the section fractionally on wood looks safer than against hardened steel. Without the dense core of the feed, the section is quite thin.

My view. :)
Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#5 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:03

... but I don't know whether or not a steel punch would damage the feed. 

No, it won't, provided it's smoothed well. Nice set BTW, Made in India.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#6 howdydave

howdydave

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:20

No, it won't, provided it's smoothed well. Nice set BTW, Made in India.

Got it for a very reasonable price on eBay.

#7 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 16:06

Pentooling makes a metal knock-out block with a hollow metal punch, and that works very well.  :)

#8 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2018 - 17:48

The chopstick is a surprisingly useful multitasker. My husband, an Oracle database administrator, restarted his home computer so many times that he broke the start button. Not to be daunted, he drilled a hole in the faceplate and started the computer with a chopstick. It got old quickly, but that’s beside the point. I like to keep a few in the kitchen for stirring and poking purposes.

#9 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,551 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2018 - 21:55

I've been using steel punches for a long time.

#10 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,279 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2018 - 22:15

The chopstick is a surprisingly useful multitasker. My husband, an Oracle database administrator, restarted his home computer so many times that he broke the start button. Not to be daunted, he drilled a hole in the faceplate and started the computer with a chopstick. It got old quickly, but thats beside the point. I like to keep a few in the kitchen for stirring and poking purposes.

We keep a few chopsticks in our cutlery drawer too: we find work really well for eating with!

#11 Ghost Writer

Ghost Writer

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:02

I have a bit of the DIY spirit and an eternity of time.  For a couple of repairs where the feed had an extended rear center tube I drilled out a "proper sized" hole in a piece of scrap wood to use as the knockout block.  Then I did a trial-and-error diameter match up with the feed and some discarded cheap plastic/nylon ballpoint pen barrels.  After I found a ballpoint barrel with a slightly smaller diameter to match (closely) the pen feed diameter I pulled the ink tube from the ballpoint barrel.  Now I had the perfect plastic "punch" that fit the feed and allowed the extended rear tube to fit inside the hollow barrel during the knockout process.  I wasn't pretty -- however, it worked well with no damage to the feed or extended tube.  

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|