Vibrant Pink - Pen And Ink

FPRebel

:huh: :(

Lamy's Vibrant Pink ink (bottle) and Al-Star arrived in my mailbox yesterday - Happy Valentine's Day to me!!
The ink is worthy of its name, beautiful, and well-worth $10.50.
The pen, not so much. It looks like a pale grape, not vibrant pink at all. The pen is probably going back - yes, it's that disappointing.

The image below is a cellphone pic, and the quality stinks. Because the pen isn't a keeper, however, I left the cardboard insert in place. It's what you see between the cap and barrel in this pic.

The color is true on my monitor. "Vibrant pink," anyone? The name seems like a marketing ploy, and I feel duped. Why not call this LE by a more accurate name, "Pale Grape"???

fpn_1518681319__lamydisappointment-2665.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Astronymus

• pitonyak

• Ayami_109

• ErrantSmudge

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree about the ink. It’s a surprisingly complex pink and I like it........ as long as I’m careful to avoid shaking the bottle and don’t disturb those pesky sparkles. Thankfully they are MUCH more subtle than Diamine, Oster et al, so are almost invisible and tolerable.

I wasn’t tempted by the pen; I find Lamy sections, whether Safari/Al-Star, Studio, 2k or whatever, amongst the most uncomfortable, at least for me. The “Vibrant Pink” pen is a really naff colour, too.

Verba volant, scripta manent

The color in your photo is quite off. On my screen your picture is also more reddish than my phone can capture. Don't trust screen colors. Never. Unless you use a calibrated screen.

post-133810-0-14142300-1518703916_thumb.jpg

I've been holding off on buying one of the pink al-Stars until I see one in person (hoping that there will be someone at the Baltimore show in a couple of weeks selling them); and also hold one -- in my experience, the metal section flanges are *really* sharp, compared to those on the plastic-bodied Safari). Plus, after seeing the Pink Safaris, I didn't care for the color (as opposed to the Dark Lilac -- that was a no brainer "Must HAVE!").

I'm fully expecting to like the ink. And even if it turns out to not an absolute favorite, it certainly is inexpensive enough to be worth picking up a bottle.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Either that or use an Iphone/apple product. Their color reproduction is generally better than most.

Another problem we encountered last year with the "pacific" was that the colors of anodized aluminium are hard to photograph. There is a thread about such a discussion and attempts to get it right.

The color in your photo is quite off..... Don't trust screen colors. Never. Unless you use a calibrated screen.

No doubt you and others here are far more tech-y than I am with your calibrated displays, etc. The display on my Dell XPS 9560 laptop is spot on, however, according to the photos Pro-DPI prints for me sans color-correction. No other claims. That is quite good enough for me.

Hi all,

Unfortunately, this example is rather arcane,... but if anyone here collected Matchbox cars in/from the '70s... the pen color is similar to the #16 Lotus Europa... just a shade or two deeper.

For what good that does. :unsure:

- Anthony

I got the pen last week. I was not suppose to buy it but could not resist, I do think that vibrant pink fits nicely for this pen. I like the fact that its not candy pink and the ink is AMAZING. Its got lots of shading and my bottle had been sitting on the side and had golden shimmers accumulated on the side. Well worth buying the ink at least if your not fond of the pink colour.

• 3 months later...

I'm contemplating getting both the ink and pen. May settle for just the cartridges but do wonder if there will be less of the shimmer. Does anybody have the carts, and do you get the shimmer when writing?

I bought the Vibrant pink ink in carts, and there is no shimmer at all when writing. I don't see any glitter in the cart when I hold it up to light.

There is a distinct sheen in the cartridges.

Yes, I do get sheen - but no glitter-induced shimmer in the cartridges.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

I bought the Vibrant pink ink in carts, and there is no shimmer at all when writing. I don't see any glitter in the cart when I hold it up to light.

Thanks for that. I ordered carts nonetheless because I've heard the glitter is very subtle even with the bottle. Some folks didn't even realize there was glitter at all!

I ordered one of these pens, and my wife, who had not previously expressed any interest in fountain pens, saw the pen, then on her own, decided to try and use it. She removed that card board separator using a pair of scissors since she did not know that you could just twist the body off. :yikes:

At the moment, it is inked up with an R&K green drawing ink that I think goes down kind of light, but, the wife loves it.

I don't know how much you know about this but at the moment there is no need to panic. As long as it is liquid you can clean the pen with water. Once polymerized it won't be water soluble. Many people in the forum use Safaris and AL-Stars with acrylic ink. It just needs more care.

I don't know how much you know about this but at the moment there is no need to panic. As long as it is liquid you can clean the pen with water. Once polymerized it won't be water soluble. Many people in the forum use Safaris and AL-Stars with acrylic ink. It just needs more care.

The thing that I keyed in on was "Don't Panic". Well, I had panicked, so, I appreciate this.