Baoer 027 Ultra Budget Fountain Pen - A Short Review

mhainz

Hello All.

As a fairly recent convert to fountain pens and a man of several other hobbies and interests which take up far too much of my time and finances, I'm on the lookout for pens at the more "budget" end of the scale at this early stage of my FP journey.

Well I guess it doesn't get much more budget than this. A Baoer 027 which I picked up for approximately 2USD including free postage. I must admit I'm a believer of "you get what you pay for" so wasn't expecting much but I really liked the colour of it so... Anyway onto my review.

IMHO it's a very nice looking pen with quite a striking finish. It's in a dark blue striped finish with chrome look trim rings and clip.

Capped the length is 13.5cm / 5.25"; uncapped it comes in at just under 12cm / 4.75". Just a little bit shorter than a Jinhao x750 as well as a fair bit thinner especially the part you hold when writing.

post-141092-0-83278100-1518672184_thumb.jpg

post-141092-0-02841600-1518672225_thumb.jpg

The nib is stated as being a medium although it seems to write finer than the fine nib on my Lamy Al-Star. I've tried it on various papers and it writes VERY smoothly even on quite rough inkjet paper which has my Lamy scratching about in comparison.

The biggest negative which I noticed as soon as I unpacked it was that there is a noticeable air gap where the clip is hinged on the cap.

post-141092-0-07521400-1518672462_thumb.jpg

post-141092-0-56426800-1518672480_thumb.jpg

Needless to say that when I loaded the pen the nib would dry out in a matter of minutes and left for a few hours would need soaking to write again!

I cured this by squeezing a small blob of silicon into the cap (there's plenty of room ahead of the nib) and this has fixed the issue.

All up I love writing with this pen. It feels much smoother and nicer than my Jinhao X-750 and on lesser quality papers writes better than my Lamy. Not bad for an investment of 2 bucks and a blob of silicon! I think for that kind of outlay I may even splash out on a couple more in other finishes.

post-141092-0-20134300-1518672748_thumb.jpg

post-141092-0-87305600-1518672762_thumb.jpg

Any questions or comments are more than welcome.

Cheers!

Edited by mhainz

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oneill

• richardandtracy

• mhainz

• simar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like a nice buy so good luck with it.If you have problems with it starting try and get another convertor

for it because they have been a source of annoyance over time,So Flush it out well using a small drop of Amonia

with and even smaller drop of Distilled water if this happens,keep flushing and give it a good rinse out and see how you go. Looks like a nice pen,try a Jinhao next they can be real friends and are very affordable,Trust Me,

Oneill

This is a pen I have nearly bought several times. However I've always ducked out at the last moment.

Can I ask whether the barrel is metal or some type of plastic? I have acid skin which always seems to damage painted surfaces on metal.

Looks good though.

Regards

Richard.

This is a pen I have nearly bought several times. However I've always ducked out at the last moment.

Can I ask whether the barrel is metal or some type of plastic? I have acid skin which always seems to damage painted surfaces on metal.

Looks good though.

Regards

Richard.

Hi Richard, to the best of my knowledge these pens are nade out of Solid Brass,I have never seen any

other description of them,I would take that as Gospel but that's me and my experience with the company,Trust Me, Oneill

That's an interesting one. When I got it I assumed that the barrel and cap were just plastic because the finish just looks too deep to be painted. However I've just noticed the barrel seems to weigh too much to be plastic; it comes in at just under 10grams. I've also just tried to scrape the inside with a small screwdriver and it definately looks like metal. I'd take a guess and say that the finish might even have some kind of resin coating over the pattern as it's very deep.

• 2 weeks later...

That's an interesting one. When I got it I assumed that the barrel and cap were just plastic because the finish just looks too deep to be painted. However I've just noticed the barrel seems to weigh too much to be plastic; it comes in at just under 10grams. I've also just tried to scrape the inside with a small screwdriver and it definately looks like metal. I'd take a guess and say that the finish might even have some kind of resin coating over the pattern as it's very deep.

I just got one and noticed the same thing. It almost felt like a sticker applied to the barrel because the decoration is thick, but it isn't a sticker as far as I can tell. The GIANT airholes in the cap are an issue, I'm trying to figure out how to plug mine. There is a gap at the top of the cap and the whole clip has a channel. I'm afraid glue will stop the clip from moving...

• 1 month later...

As a person who loves both of these pens because I used to Edit the web- pages years ago I am not aware of any of these two brands as being made from Plastic, I was always told that they were made of Solid Brass, Can I recommend to you a pen which is made by them which I had the pleasure of naming, it is called one of two names either The Abalone or The Mother of Pearl it can cost a bit more than most of their pens do because they do take more time to produce and are sure to Enhance your collection, I love this pen so much I have 3 of them in my collection Trust Me, Oneill