How Much Do You Spend On Pens, Ink, Paper?

Waltz For Zizi

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waltz For Zizi

• mitto

• ParkerDuofold

• inkstainedruth

My biggest splurge has been on writing paraphernalia other than paper or ink - I got a wooden lap desk and a carved letter opener for my birthday. I spend $36 per year on my Bullet Journals - one every 3 months. I got new pen wraps for Christmas and a bottle of ink. I found one type of envelope that I like with my Tomoe River stationery: I spend about $8 every 6 weeks or so on my envelopes shipped from GB. I use a lot of Tomoe River paper for letter writing. I buy A4 sheets to print and cut and A5 for back sheets. I always buy enough to get free shipping. :wub: I have yet to spend a month's pay - since I started August 2015.

I always suspected you were royalty, Mitto. :)

- Anthony

And since he's getting pens really really cheaply, from what he's said in other posts, I'm just envisioning just how many pens he has.... :o [Possibly an order of magnitude more than me.... B)]

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well 2017 was an anomaly since among my expenditures in this area are two M800s so that was a pretty big dent. Don't regret it a bit tho. Likely a few hundred on top of that in total.

I'll admit that I don't actually want to sit down and calculate what I've paid in total. That includes the pens, inks, sample vials, tools, a couple of desks (since the first desk ended up being a little too small to be really useful), books, bookcases, storage containers, zipper cases, extra nibs, note pads and paper, and even some ephemera.

Several years ago, when I had some of the better vintage pens appraised, the overall appraisal value was for more than I had paid (including counting the repairs). Mind you, the guy was a self-described "generalist" -- and I got the impression I knew more detailed stuff than he did.... The highlight for him -- and even more for his assistant -- was the Parker 41 I'd paid a whole whopping 50¢ for the day before at an estate sale. The Morrison gold-filigree overlay ringtop was worth roughly what I had paid for it (which happened to have been more than I paid for my Plum 51 Demi Aero...). Go figure.... The Parker Vacumatic book I bought at Christmastime also cost a little bit more than the Plummer did, as it happened. :huh:

And of course in the 2-1/2 years since that appraisal show, I've gotten a number of other pens, including some much, much pricier ones.... And also gotten some really great "sumgai" deals.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I've probably spent around $2,600 to $4,000 dollars combined in 2017 and 2018 for both rollerball pens and fountain pens. The bulk of my purchases have been made within the last 4 months between November and February. So far, my purchases have consisted of over 140+ $2 and $3 Jinhao and Hero Chinese fountain pens as well as around 24 Platinum Preppy, nine Pilot Kakuno and a combination of seven Pilot 78G and 78G+ fountain pens. Within the last few days, I also just purchased 2 Vanishing Point Pilot Raden Water Surface fountain pens directly from Japan for $414.20 each with shipping included. Besides the fountain pens, I've also purchased around 96 bottles of Noodler's ink and about a dozen more combined Pilot, Iroshizuku, Sailor and Waterman ink within the last 3 months. Right now, I'm good to go for a very long time with both fountain pens and fountain pen ink. I don't see myself buying anymore fountain pens or ink anytime soon unless I see something that I really like. And even then, I'm going to have to decide whether or not I really need it.

Edited by Donald2

And since he's getting pens really really cheaply, from what he's said in other posts, I'm just envisioning just how many pens he has.... :o [Possibly an order of magnitude more than me.... B)]

May be or may be not. :)

Khan M. Ilyas

Apart from the occasional Pelikans, others are all cheap pens. Cheap inks, and cheap papers, no Rhodia or Tomoe river or any exotic papers. (I never liked them anyway, alright, I only like 1 side of Rhodia papers, the more absorbent side, did you realise that both sides are different?)

I vhemently disapprove your suspicions. :)

My apologies, Mitto... I forgot how despised royalty is in your neck of the woods. :)

- Anthony

My apologies, Mitto... I forgot how despised royalty is in your neck of the woods. :)

- Anthony

That is because you don't know what does 'mitto' means. :)

Khan M. Ilyas

Last year I spent about $7,000 for pens, paper and inks. But this represents only 6.5 pens (custom pen, half payment in 2016, half in 2017).

This year, I have spent about $300 on inks only. I expect to spend about $1500 on a custom made pen in the next 3-4 months.

This year, so far, has been pretty much cost free.

Last year:

Paper, envelopes, labels etc = $120

Journals = $75

Ink = $100

Pens = $50 for one vintage pen

To offset the above, and then some - I sold 5 vintage & 1 modern pens for a total of $450

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

10000 swiss francs or so on over 40 pens of which i kept 26. 80 inks or so of which i kept 44 most japanese. Over a hundred notebooks mostly from Japan. some other things too. Now i am cooling off a little. No regret at all. It is pure pleasure for me.

I've probably spent around $2,600 to $4,000 dollars combined in 2017 and 2018 for both rollerball pens and fountain pens. The bulk of my purchases have been made within the last 4 months between November and February. So far, my purchases have consisted of over 140+ $2 and $3 Jinhao and Hero Chinese fountain pens as well as around 24 Platinum Preppy, nine Pilot Kakuno and a combination of seven Pilot 78G and 78G+ fountain pens. Within the last few days, I also just purchased 2 Vanishing Point Pilot Raden Water Surface fountain pens directly from Japan for $414.20 each with shipping included. Besides the fountain pens, I've also purchased around 96 bottles of Noodler's ink and about a dozen more combined Pilot, Iroshizuku, Sailor and Waterman ink within the last 3 months. Right now, I'm good to go for a very long time with both fountain pens and fountain pen ink. I don't see myself buying anymore fountain pens or ink anytime soon unless I see something that I really like. And even then, I'm going to have to decide whether or not I really need it.

Holy ... What do you do with 140 chinese pens? Do you usually give to others too? That's a heck lot of pens, in my opinion anyway. Are they all different models/colors?

Last year I spent about $7,000 for pens, paper and inks. But this represents only 6.5 pens (custom pen, half payment in 2016, half in 2017).

This year, I have spent about $300 on inks only. I expect to spend about $1500 on a custom made pen in the next 3-4 months.

This is madness I tell you, madness :)

10000 swiss francs or so on over 40 pens of which i kept 26. 80 inks or so of which i kept 44 most japanese. Over a hundred notebooks mostly from Japan. some other things too. Now i am cooling off a little. No regret at all. It is pure pleasure for me.

>100 notebooks?!?! It would take me two lifetimes to use them all. Lol.

This is madness I tell you, madness :)

Madness only until I tell you that I bought 4000 loose sheets of Tomoe River, and around 125 bottles of ink. Then it escalates to something beyond madness. :P