The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

FPN appearing slow

Dearest Member or Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to a continuing DDoS attack, FPN could be moving only slowly. Hosting Support is dealing with this. The earlier reported hardware issue has been fixed. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Warm regards, the FPN Moderator & Admin Team

Photo

Rapido-Eze Vs. Speedball Pen Cleaner

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TwizzlerNibs

TwizzlerNibs

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:18

I've searched and there are threads that come close, but not quite on the nose so here we go...

I got a Valentine's present of a pen case and some Speedball pen cleaner (She's a keeper right??)

I'm doing my first fountain pen restorations and had some Rapido-Eze in my Amazon cart ready to purchase, so this seems to be perfect. Or is it?

I've seen the sentiment of "Rapido-Eze is what we (the pros, the experienced restorers) use on a regular basis and always when we run into tough problems" expressed a few times.  I am just looking at some standard repair and cleaning as far as I can tell, so will my Speedball cleaner be fine?

The bottle says "Speedball Super Pen Cleaner is specially formulated to keep dip pens, fountain pens, and technical pens working like new. Also removes dried ink from drafting film and can be used to clean fine jewelry"

Anyone have actual knowledge of formulation of either product, specifically how they differ, if at all?

Thanks,

Josh

Sponsored Content

#2 TwizzlerNibs

TwizzlerNibs

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:43

Sorry for the double topic post. I think when I have two tabs open it does that. I cant see how to delete the other one

#3 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2018 - 15:23

I don't know!  Should be safe for flushing inside (since it is made for that), but not sure if it will discolor hard rubber.

I wonder if anyone else has experience with it.

#4 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,486 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2018 - 15:40

Look up MSDS when you're curious about this stuff.

https://www.speedbal...2017/11/419.pdf

https://content.inte...3110_MSDS_E.pdf

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#5 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 16:34

I've never tried Rapido-Eze, and to my great shame I bought Speedball but haven't used it yet as I still have a bottle of J.B's Perfect Pen Flush that I'm part way through. :(  Speedball got good reviews on Amazon though, and looked like a neat sized bottle to take in my suitcase with me.  :)

#6 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2018 - 20:33

Thanks for the links.  But will any of the ingredients fade the exterior of an old black hard rubber pen?

I sometimes use Rapido eze on a q tip up inside a pen cap, and sometimes a little comes out the vent holes or otherwise runs on to the surface of the cap.  I was wondering if any of the speedball ingredients will quickly discolor hard rubber (in which case I would not use it for the inside of the pen cap)

#7 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,486 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2018 - 21:27

I have no idea what it will do to old ebonite.  Best thing to do is get a busted old pen and experiment.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#8 TwizzlerNibs

TwizzlerNibs

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:43

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the help and the expressions of mutual ignorance equally.

I had to google that acronym. Good information to have for comparison, and a nice tool to have for the future, thank you.

I've got the big ol' bottle, would definitely get me pulled into the "extra personal attention" line at the airport.

I've never tried Rapido-Eze, and to my great shame I bought Speedball but haven't used it yet as I still have a bottle of J.B's Perfect Pen Flush that I'm part way through. :(  Speedball got good reviews on Amazon though, and looked like a neat sized bottle to take in my suitcase with me.  :)

Can't I just go real easy on the speedball and it won't drip? I've yet to put a q-tip in a cap so this may be a silly question. I can try it with some water first.

Thanks for the links.  But will any of the ingredients fade the exterior of an old black hard rubber pen?

I sometimes use Rapido eze on a q tip up inside a pen cap, and sometimes a little comes out the vent holes or otherwise runs on to the surface of the cap.  I was wondering if any of the speedball ingredients will quickly discolor hard rubber (in which case I would not use it for the inside of the pen cap)

I've got a couple pens that won't ever be leaving my possesion, so a little bit of an edge test couldn't hurt. Maybe. I'll see if my confidence holds.

I have no idea what it will do to old ebonite.  Best thing to do is get a busted old pen and experiment.

Sponsored Content

|