The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

FPN appearing slow

Dearest Member or Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to a continuing DDoS attack, FPN could be moving only slowly. Hosting Support is dealing with this. The earlier reported hardware issue has been fixed. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Warm regards, the FPN Moderator & Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Custom Legance Marble (All Colors)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 raster

raster

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:46

I own several pens from the “pilot custom” series, but when I first saw those in my favorite local shop 2 or 3 weeks ago, the phrase “legance marble” meant nothing to me. The pens laid new in their boxes and at first I thought that perhaps it’s a new addition to pilot’s “custom” family. On the other hand, if pilot had such intentions I’m sure I would know.

The date code on the nibs revealed that these pens were made in the mid-90s (1996) and I was even more baffled because an online search was almost fruitless.

While I enjoy all my pilot pens, and their nibs are among the best one can find, I always had the feeling that their design is too “classic” for my taste and the color selection limited and uninspired. Well, custom legance is everything but.

The pens themselves are gorgeous, the color combinations stunning and the material gives the surface of the pen an almost 3d effect that attracts the eye. I couldn’t decide which color I like the best so I bought all five, and here we are. They were available in Fine and Medium nibs (size 5, 14K) and I went full Medium (I’m a “broad” type of guy and Japanese fine is too fine for me :)

The clip on the cap reads “PILOT”. On the ring: “  * PILOT MADE IN JAPAN * CUSTOM LE “

20180212_124023.jpg

The nib (with 96 indicating the year of production)

20180212_122436.jpg

Comparison with modern size 5 nibs (Cosu, Music, Broad, Custom LE Medium). I see no design difference, though I feel the legance nib is “softer” than the rest. Not as soft as a Falcon nib but it definitely has some spring to it.

20180212_122002.jpg

Size comparison with some popular pens from the custom line. Custom Legance Red, Green, Blue, Medley, Brown, Heritage 92, Custom 74, Custom 742. They are somewhat smaller than their 74 cousin but they come equipped with the CON70 converter so no issues here.

20180212_122840.jpg

And some photos of the pens. Of course, in person the pens appear far more impressive but I hope the photos still capture some of their qualities.

Red

20180212_123432.jpg

20180212_123528.jpg

Green

20180212_124243.jpg

20180212_123847.jpg

Brown

20180212_124157.jpg

20180212_124217.jpg

Blue

20180212_124402.jpg

20180212_124442.jpg

Medley

20180212_124302.jpg

20180212_124323.jpg

I wonder… why did pilot stop producing these masterpieces? Were they some kind of limited edition? Any additional info would be welcome.

Thanks for reading :)

Sponsored Content

#2 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:27

Shame they aren't produced anymore, they look very nice.

#3 Maurizio

Maurizio

scribex Catholicus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:57

Very nice! What an amazing find. Love that brown one.

What type of converter do they use? Im guessing a standard Con-50? A real mystery why these are no longer produced. I wish Pilot would send more of their nice pens to the USA. Id buy the brown one today if it was available. I have a Pilot Custom Kaede (maple wood) which is just about my favorite pen. Not available here but I ordered it from a Japanese seller on Amazon.

Other pens Pilot should make available in the US:
* Lucina (better than the Prera in my opinion)
Custom 742
Custom 743
Pilot Custom Kaede
Ichii Wood
Custom 845

Edited by Maurizio, 14 February 2018 - 11:10.

Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare currant - Horace (We change our skies not our souls when we travel across the sea).

All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone - Pascal

Favorite shop:
https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

#4 raster

raster

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2018 - 20:30

Very nice! What an amazing find. Love that brown one.

What type of converter do they use? Im guessing a standard Con-50? A real mystery why these are no longer produced. I wish Pilot would send more of their nice pens to the USA. Id buy the brown one today if it was available. I have a Pilot Custom Kaede (maple wood) which is just about my favorite pen. Not available here but I ordered it from a Japanese seller on Amazon.

Other pens Pilot should make available in the US:
* Lucina (better than the Prera in my opinion)
Custom 742
Custom 743
Pilot Custom Kaede
Ichii Wood
Custom 845

They come with CON70 preinstalled, and I agree, the brown one is something special, it's like the smaller Japanese cousin of Pelikan's M800 Renaissance Brown.

#5 Dr. Saleem Ali

Dr. Saleem Ali

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:16

Beautiful pens .Pilots are superiors .

#6 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:44

Thank you for the review. :)  I did a double take though at the word "Legance," I wondered if they had deliberately missed the "E" off or just made it up.  -_-

Sponsored Content

|