The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

FPN appearing slow

Dearest Member or Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to a continuing DDoS attack, FPN could be moving only slowly. Hosting Support is dealing with this. The earlier reported hardware issue has been fixed. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Warm regards, the FPN Moderator & Admin Team

Photo

Finest Line Possible From The Factory?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:40

I have a lab notebook that is small and requires a NEEDLEPOINT nib to be useful. Right now I'm using an XXF sheaffer snorkel with a triumph nib, which has a needlepoint reverse that works well. but I don't love writing pages and pages reverse. What is the finest out of the box nib I could get? the Platinum 3776 UEF? I have a 3776 SF and it's noticeably too broad. For reference, my lower case letters in this notebook are about 2mm high.

I also don't want something too wet for this job, either, since the journal is on less than stellar paper.

Sponsored Content

#2 Inksomnia

Inksomnia

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:05

I have Platinum UEF and it writes really fine line, it's not too wet either. I don't have way to measure such fine line, but for me it is still legible at 2mm. I don't have other nibs from platinum, but this is about x3 times finer than my other EF nibs.

#3 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:54

I have a lab notebook that is small and requires a NEEDLEPOINT nib to be useful. Right now I'm using an XXF sheaffer snorkel with a triumph nib, which has a needlepoint reverse that works well. but I don't love writing pages and pages reverse. What is the finest out of the box nib I could get? the Platinum 3776 UEF? I have a 3776 SF and it's noticeably too broad. For reference, my lower case letters in this notebook are about 2mm high.

I also don't want something too wet for this job, either, since the journal is on less than stellar paper.

Wow! If at all possible, could you post a picture of one of those pages? I really can't imagine writing that small!!!

#4 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2018 - 17:02

You are bordering on the cusp of what is achievable with a FP. For reliablilty and legibility, I switched over to 0.28mm gel pens from Uni (Mitsubishi). I needed to keep track of 24 patients' labs, results, comings and goings, all on a single side of 8.5x11" paper, and I needed to squeeze as much as info as I could on that paper while remaining legible. Best of luck in your search. You may need to find a nib meister to do custom work for you. I'd recommend Mike at Mike-it-work, but he has long lead times as expected for a one-man-band in high demand (and for good reason too).   

#5 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Away
  • 1,961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2018 - 17:15

Pilot 912 PO(posting nib)

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

#6 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,051 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 23:37

Here's two photos of writing with my Platinum with 3776 UEF nib (slightly smoothed by me) using Sailor Kuro Guro ink on HP 32# paper.
photo 1

Edited by Lloyd, 15 February 2018 - 04:26.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#7 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 8,686 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 00:06

I have seen some vintage Sheaffer and Parker nibs that write with a 0.2mm or 0.25mm line. You may need to send the pen to a nib tech to have it ground down and smoothed to get what you want. 

OTOH, a fine Pilot Prera nib comes pretty close.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#8 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,492 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:58

What you may need is a technical pen: you can find a nib down to .13mm if you do some searching on eBay.
Tungsten nibs are still available and work well if you can keep them clean.

#9 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• 1,624 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:27

A needlepoint nibbed pen from Franklin Christoph? They provide a 0.25mm line.

I found a 9450 renew point for Esterbrooks to be rather good for small writing, though I have never measured the size of my letters. Though I did use it to fill out multiple single 3x5 notecards with physics and chemistry formulas for tests back in my college days.
FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#10 kestrel

kestrel

School Eccentric

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:04

4 x 0 Rapidograph drafting pen will give you a roughly 0.2 mm line.  I used one in college for fine detail work and it was very reliable and precise.  It's more a stylograph than a conventional fountain pen, though, if that is important to you.

Dave Campbell
Science Teacher and Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#11 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• 8,255 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:46

What you may need is a technical pen: you can find a nib down to .13mm if you do some searching on eBay.
Tungsten nibs are still available and work well if you can keep them clean.

I was going to suggest the same thing. I have two. A 4 x 0 (.18 mm) and a 3 x 0 (.1 mm). Bought the .18 new in 1980, but in checking them out today, noticed the little wire on it is so short it doesn't reach the end anymore. I picked up the 3 x 0 (.1) on ebay a few years ago for about $7. You can get a set for about $50. Mine are Staedtler Mars 700's.

Edited by Runnin_Ute, 15 February 2018 - 04:48.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#12 Lloyd

Lloyd

• Member - Gold

• 6,051 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 17:33

I fixed the photos that I tried to post above.

Oscar Wilde

#13 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,205 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:36

...What is the finest out of the box nib I could get? the Platinum 3776 UEF? I have a 3776 SF and it's noticeably too broad. For reference, my lower case letters in this notebook are about 2mm high.

a Pilot PO nib as someone else has also suggested above. Designed for the job.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#14 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2018 - 22:25

I know a technical pen can be finer, but I don't really want to use a rapidograph.

I like the PO nib idea, but it's about double the price. So I went with the UEF for $65.

#15 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• 8,255 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:13

I know a technical pen can be finer, but I don't really want to use a rapidograph.

I like the PO nib idea, but it's about double the price. So I went with the UEF for $65.

Hope it works for your use. Enjoy!

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#16 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:02

You also need an ink that doesn't spread, so no Diamine, Noodler's (except Black) and Private Reserve

I use Sailor Kiwaguro NanoCarbon Black, a carbon pigmented ink.

You also  need, and this might be hard using work-supplied stationery, paper that itself doesn't let ink spread. Hard, smooth paper like Kokuyo Campus.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#17 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 8,902 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:20

Hi

I put forward thee notion that you get rid of that lab notebook in exchange for something that suits your personal preference. :: Why use a hairs breadth nib when you prefer a plump M?

Beware the tyranny of the page. !!

And I just write over lines that are too tight.  If lines/columns are labelled, I have them enlarged to A3 for use.  

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#18 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2018 - 21:50

Hi

I put forward thee notion that you get rid of that lab notebook in exchange for something that suits your personal preference. :: Why use a hairs breadth nib when you prefer a plump M?

And I just write over lines that are too tight.  If lines/columns are labelled, I have them enlarged to A3 for use.  

Bye,

S1

Because I actually really like the notebook  :lol:  It's a peter pauper dot grid. hard back, elastic close, thick paper. It does bleed and feather a LITTLE bit and doesn't sheen at all, but it's just a good notebook. it's just maybe one inch too short and one inch too narrow. But I can't change books until the end of the quarter either. 

Probably going to try the leuch essential next, it's a little bigger. It has to be graph/dot and it needs to be hard cover and can't have removable pages.

#19 pendwarf

pendwarf

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2018 - 22:33

Platinum UEF.  Mine is on a 3776 Century.  In addition to the ultra extra fine tip, the slip & seal cap mechanism really does keep to from drying out.  It starts instantly when uncapped, even if it hasn't been used for weeks.

#20 Lloyd

Lloyd

• Member - Gold

• 6,051 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 23:16

Hi

Bye,

S1

It's it the "tyranny of the page", it's using a different notebook's characteristics to justify ANOTHER pen. 

Oscar Wilde

Sponsored Content

|