Any Info On This Old Fountain Pen (1950's? Maybe)

pitonyak

I think that I got this pen from my Grandparents (but it might have been my Mother) in the 80's (as a used pen) and I have never tried to use it, but I am thinking about giving it a try.

The cap says “Wahl Eversharp” and “Made in USA” etched in the plastic on the side of the cap in the plastic. The pen clip also says “made in USA”.

The nib says

Eversharp Manifold

Made in USA

I saw a video on YouTube where the end was twisted and then it was pulled back. Pushing down filled the pen.

The tip of my pen turns, just shy of one full revolution and then it does not want to turn anymore. I tried to pull it back, but it would not move.

The FAQ indicates that I should just turn it until I feel resistance then turn it back (see https://www.wahleversharp.com/faq.php) and this will fill the pen.

I am not really sure if I should just go for it, or if I can use the same mechanism to empty the ink so that I can clean it with some warm water, etc.

I read somewhere that Most Manifold nibs are stiff for use with multiple copy carbon paper.

Any thoughts on this pen? I am just not sure what I should try to do with this pen.

post-141654-0-72006600-1518565631_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pitonyak

• joss

• pen lady

• sidthecat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not an expert, but to me it looks like a Doric, colour, Morocco. If it were mine, I'd send it to an expert to have the plunger mechanism serviced. It's a beautiful pen.

I don't suppose you have any suggestions on where I might be able to have it repaired? I am in Columbus Ohio, and there was a guy here that was amazing, but he died a few years back..... I think that it might now be called "Cabco Products" and also have Fountain Pen stuff, so I will probably stop in to see, but.... if I need to send it out.

The plunger mechanism can be stuck by various reasons but you will need an expert repairer to work on these valuable pens.

Among many other expert pen repairers, you could contact for instance Ron Zorn (with whom I have no affiliation):

www.mainstreetpens.com/pricelist.htm

Other pen repairers are listed here:

www.bestfountainpen.com/fountain-pen-repair/

And for more info on your pen (which is from the late 1930s) check here:

www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/profiles/doric.htm

www.pensburymanor.com/pensburymanor/Eversharp_Doric_Pens.html

Edited by joss

Wow, thanks for the links, that is useful...

On a whim, I dropped an email to the manufacturer last night and they responded very fast asking me to send it in for evaluation. The person who responded said that he got his start years ago repairing their with their vintage pens.

I will let you know how it works out...

• 3 weeks later...

I’d contact Syd Saperstein at Pensbury Manor (known to this forum as The Wahl-Nut). He not only fixes them (my Doric Airliner is in transit) but makes ‘em. I’m pretty sure he’s your man.

That is funny, and that explains why he is the guy who received my email when I sent an email to the company. He has it and sent me a quote to repair it. Looking forward to having this pen working.