• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• dms525

• Inky.Fingers

• Randal6393

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, Ken! Beautiful lettering as always, and the display of many versions together is instructive.

Do you have tips as to the ductus of the forked ascenders?

David

Do you have tips as to the ductus of the forked ascenders?

David

With the nib edge at about 45 degrees I draw down the basic stroke as in fig 1. With the nib edge at approx. the same angle, I then turn the paper clockwise at right angles, and draw in the second stroke fig 2. I usually turn the paper after writing a paragraph and fill in all the second strokes, at the same time for consistency.

fpn_1518818496__strokes_300.jpg

Edited by kenfraser

With the nib edge at about 45 degrees I draw down the basic stroke as in fig 1. With the nib edge at approx. the same angle, I then turn the paper clockwise at right angles, and draw in the second stroke fig 2. I usually turn the paper after writing a paragraph and fill in all the second strokes, at the same time for consistency.

fpn_1518818496__strokes_300.jpg

Thank you, Ken!

I will work on this technique.

David

My first attempts using Ken's technique for making the forked finials were done with a 2.5mm Parallel pen. The results were not as sharp as I wished, but I think that reflects the pen and ink, not the technique. Bottom line: Great technique. Needs practice. Try other nibs.

Thanks again!

David

Going Gothic takes a licking...

I started with Spencerian (52 deg from the horizontal), then landed on Chancery script (8 deg from the vertical). Both are slanted penmanship.

When I went Gothic like you now, adjusting for no slant was difficult. Some will recommend you turning paper, other tells you to twist your pen.

I got over it by changing the grip on the pen. Spencerian mode is one type of pen hold. The Chancery a different pen hold (always a straight cut nib.)

The Gothic was for me a modified pen pen plus an oblique cut nib. This way my body tells me to switch from one script to the next. I don't intend to be a

calligrapher but I do intend to enjoy every script when I write.

I am not sure if these will help, you don't need the split ascender to make it authentic but if you must ....from Bill Hildebrante book ... you should get this book. Step by step.

30605439290_896f64265b.jpg

post-120164-0-54526100-1518848941.jpg

InkyFingers and Astron are referring to the traditionally accepted method of producing the forked ascenders. I've always found that twisting the nib and creating the shape with the left corner of the edged nib to be unreliable and unpredictable.

I find that the method I described, easier to do with consistent results. It isn't necessarily any better - just a different approach. In the end, it's how it appears on the paper that matters most.

It isn't always appropriate, but IMO depending on the specific form of the script, the forked ascenders can add a bit of 'sparkle' to the text.

Edited by kenfraser

I love the technique Ken Fraser describes, and the practice of completing letters in a series to help create consistency. Forked ascenders, however, evoke too much Slytherin for me.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

There is no way for me to match your artistic skills...

When executing a script, for me... I like to make it practical, quick to execute, with a sense of life.

But I realize, I cannot achieve calligraphic level near 40% of your Snr Fraser. It is the tools I use, in combination with the ink and paper. I know that I only use one ink, Parker Quink Black. Paper varied from printer paper to semi acceptable fountain pen friendly paper, and most of the time a fountain pen.

Perhaps a recommendation of proper equipment and practice technique is in order.

Ken, lovely work as always. But why did you slip in an angled dip pen holder in your "O" on your last quote? Definitely not authentic. Well, it made me laugh.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

But why did you slip in an angled dip pen holder in your "O" on your last quote? Definitely not authentic. Well, it made me laugh.

.......then I achieved my objective! :P

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi,

I know this is an old post, but.....

I have just started calligraphy and am trying to learn gothic textura (not easy to get your head around).

One of the thinks I have learnt is that if you use a dip pen you are worrying about the pen and ink, rather than concentrating on learning the writing technique itself.

Have you tried using the pilor parallel pens, dead easy to use, bullet proof and many nib widths (you can alter them to get double lines). Great fun.

Many people like the Pilot Parallel pens, and others don't. They are a fantastic bargain, if they work well for you.

David

Hi,

I know this is an old post, but.....

I have just started calligraphy and am trying to learn gothic textura (not easy to get your head around).

One of the thinks I have learnt is that if you use a dip pen you are worrying about the pen and ink, rather than concentrating on learning the writing technique itself.

Have you tried using the pilor parallel pens, dead easy to use, bullet proof and many nib widths (you can alter them to get double lines). Great fun.

Pilot parallel pen book:

https://www.paperinkarts.com/parabk.html