Gothic Textura Quadrata

dms525

There are many versions of this calligraphic style. The "feet" seem relatively constant, but there are many variations in the ascenders and the majuscules can be quite complex, verging on illegible. I think I am just starting to understand it and appreciate it.

If others would like to contribute samples of their gothic hands, tips or information, we could all learn together.

Happy writing!

David

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• dms525

• Inky.Fingers

• Randal6393

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, Incongruent, and welcome to FPN!

Thanks for the compliment and the hints. I had already discovered your trick for ascender serifs. Not that I have mastered the technique.

Are you using a shadow nib you purchased, or is it home-made?

David

Welcome to the Gothic side...my most favorite Gothic is by an old master..Neudorfer the elder and his pupil Wolfgang. I dont favor much with quad .. it is supposed to be very compressed...no inter-letter spacing, combined letters when possible and abbreviated often.

however most gothic are not for the everyday hand...God knows I've tried. Headlines and decorative yes.

Kanzlei styled Fraktur is my fav.

Edited by _InkyFingers

Hi, _IF! Nice to hear from you.

From what I have read, inter-letter spacing should be one nib-width and inter-word spacing should be two nib-widths.

I'll look into the styles you mentioned.

My goal is to work with Gothic scripts enough to internalize the distinctive principles, then "make it my own." Gothic Textura was definitely a book hand - for formal documents. Most of the Gothic cursive hands I've seen are unappealing to me, except some Bâtards.

A sample of the Gothic style you favor would be appreciated.

David

God knows I have tried. This script can only be written in large format. I don't have a quill to emulate what these master can do, writing so small. If you can achieve this script with a B or BB would be miraculous. I've only been able to reproduce at BBB or BBBB. We are talking gold nibs that is tipped. My luxury taste does not allow me to use a steel nibbed pen.

However a dip pen is a good start for steel dip pen.

Recently, i've tried an Esterbrook 313 Probate and have gotten really interested in Gothic again. However my instinct script was Chancery first. Most lovely script, Chancery is.

Please share your venture.

I have some narrow but very crisp italic fountain pen nibs that actually work with Gothic Textura, but, so far, my Franklin-Christoph music nibs and Osmiroid B4 nibs work best. Hmmmm ... I just remembered I have some Brause "automatic pen" nibs I've never used. I think they are 2.0 mm - maybe wider. I'll have to dig them out and try them. I've never had terrific success with Pilot Parallel pens. I'm not sure why.

David

My experience with FP is this: you might have a very crisp nib, narrow or broad, you will not be able achieve the results if the nib is not thin (despite being crisp.)

My Shaeffer Sovereign with a long imperial triumph Broad 14k nib and the Lamy 2000 14k BB can almost do it. Both were ground to a knife edge (literrally.) The left and right corners are rounded. The edge is sharp.

This configuration resembles those of the dip nibs. However modern FP does not flex. Hence, you can achieve good results but not great results.

Modern calligraphy FP pens from Manuscript requires unpresendented pressure to write. Hence, it did not suit me. Same goes for osmiroid, platignum etc...

I've been looking for vintage 14k that are B or Bb to be ground to a dip pen nib configurations. But this prove to be fatal to my wallet. Hence, dip pen nibs is the way to go.

Recently, I have grown interest in the dip pen spectrum. Esterbrook Probate 313 is a medium flex nib. It works wonderfully for Chancery. I have not try with Gothics. Another really good pen was Baignol & Farjon Bologna? C/M No 4. Wow! what a nib, bit I cant find anywhere this nib, except for one sample.

I didnt find Parallel pen to be much use, perhaps it is the ink or paper or both.

Should you find a pen worthy of acquiring, please do tell.

thats an unusual A. and your ascender needs a bit of work. i could not figure it out how to make the filials. so i substitude with a Chancery filials.. a strong type of filials looks better ...

As a teenager, my first love in calligraphy was Blackletter and I've never lost my affection for the many varied styles. With these examples. I have no information regarding inks, paper etc. as they were written some time ago and I kept no records. To the best of my memory, they are shown here at the original size of the writng.

fpn_1518775955__blackadder_4_600.jpg

Edited by kenfraser

In the previous posr, the example on the left derives from script originated by Friedrich Neugebauer and the one on the right by Byron J Macdonald. There is a huge variety of styles originating from Gothic Script. Long ago, I gave up trying to remember all the names and now I just refer to them all under the general umbrella of "Gothic Scripts" or "Blackletter". ;)

Edited by kenfraser