Salvageability Of Oxidised Steel Nibs

agregate

Good morning everyone.

I'm looking at some very old vintage nibs on eBay, specifically a Brause No. 332EF and see that the box is in terrible condition.

I would like to know from your past experiences, what the salvageability from something as bad as this is? Is it worth buying them at all or simply pass?

Here are some photos that I have been given:

post-141619-0-75699600-1518554810_thumb.jpg

post-141619-0-26444000-1518554832_thumb.jpg

post-141619-0-95603400-1518554849_thumb.jpg

EDIT:

Here is another picture I've just been sent:

post-141619-0-91103100-1518555915_thumb.jpg

On top of this, whats the general "limit" to the amount of saving one can do for their rusted out nibs?

Edited by finnrayment

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Corona688

• agregate

• Inkling13

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If there is a will, there is a way. I would assuume you could use the galvanic reaction, such as those used to restore cast iron pans. This should not affect the metallic part of the pens.

If there is a will, there is a way. I would assuume you could use the galvanic reaction, such as those used to restore cast iron pans. This should not affect the metallic part of the pens.

Oh jeez :D

I mean I thought about electrolysis but surely this would simply destroy the nibs?

Furthermore, if I succeeded in this, would the tips be completely screwed from the oxides falling off?

There's a lot of something on them, but rust isn't white. Maybe its old varnish?

I suspect you could use most of them with a little work, if the price is worth the effort.

There's a lot of something on them, but rust isn't white. Maybe its old varnish?

I suspect you could use most of them with a little work, if the price is worth the effort.

That's also what I was thinking, I can't quite work out what the hell it is. I've seen online that this specific nib is meant to be brass coloured, so I thought that maybe the brown spots were all thats left but I'm leaning towards rust for them.

Perhaps I'll buy them... Their cheap anyway and I get the nice box with them.

I mean I thought about electrolysis but surely this would simply destroy the nibs?

Furthermore, if I succeeded in this, would the tips be completely screwed from the oxides falling off?

It should only take off the corrosion. You can technically leave the pans in the bath while you have the system powered on indefinitely, from what I have heard, and no real way to overdo it. Even now, if you use it, the oxides would likely crumble off the tip of the pen, so no real loss.

That's also what I was thinking, I can't quite work out what the hell it is.

"brass-colored" sounds like varnish. Brass would darken or go green, not go white and flaky. And I got a modern nib that was brown with varnish. Edited by Corona688

It should only take off the corrosion. You can technically leave the pans in the bath while you have the system powered on indefinitely, from what I have heard, and no real way to overdo it. Even now, if you use it, the oxides would likely crumble off the tip of the pen, so no real loss.

Oh great, I'll look into that then considering they'll survive haha.

"brass-colored" sounds like varnish. Brass would darken or go green, not go white and flaky. And I got a modern nib that was brown with varnish.

Looks like I might be safe to buy them then, thanks for the help guys!

electrolysis will not eat healthy steel. it only eats corrosion (oxide layers). We use it to de-rust things in the automotive world all the time when we want to remove as little material as possible but be CERTAIN the corrosion is gone.

Those tips are probably toast right now, but could be brought back with a few seconds on some 1800 grit sandpaper and micro mesh.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

A pen is nothing if not for the nib. These nibs need attention. A great learning experience for shaping your nibs. A micro mesh is a must. However, how much time will you lose practicing over nibs when you can get similar nibs without the overtime to reclaim these nibs?

A pen is nothing if not for the nib. These nibs need attention. A great learning experience for shaping your nibs. A micro mesh is a must. However, how much time will you lose practicing over nibs when you can get similar nibs without the overtime to reclaim these nibs?

Aside from the 2 or 3 obvious rust spots, what actual damage do you see?

Aside from the 2 or 3 obvious rust spots, what actual damage do you see?

We also (myself included) have failed to mention that these nibs are expendable. They are meant to be consumed with writing, and even with your best effort at restoration, how long if you are using them, do you expect them to last? I'd buy them, keep or use them, but I wouldn't be bothered restoring them unless they were the last box on earth, and even then, I'd just keep it in a moisture proof box with some desiccant. I would keep some very find grade sandpaper nearby when using them, but other than that, I think they will still work as designed.