My Toledo Dilemma

sebastel23

hello, and a nice day to everyone.

i'm sebastian, and i'm in a dilemma. i like nice pens (that's not it), and consider pelikans among the nicest. ok, to me the nicest i ever used. (that's still not it)

now, ever since i looked up pelikan's catalogues, or the real things in the shops, i got interested in the toledo model. very nice pens, great work on the metal, love the colours and the appearance. and since my income allows a little goodie once in a while, i might have gotten one already ... if not ...

arrrrrgh ... that motif. i simply find that pelikan birdy shape image picture something on the binde soooooo ugly. it completely disturbs the whole pen for me. sorry pelikan, it's a deal breaker.

a sardine, i would accept. but not those pelikans.

weĺl.

then i can only continue to use my m200 and m400, can't i?

anyone has a similar "problems"?

cheers,

s.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sebastel23

• Runnin_Ute

• Inkling13

• praxim

Top Posters In This Topic

Then buy the Zeus edition. Is still practically a toledo. I would kill for that pen..well not really, but I would trade my Hitchcock Montblanc for it.

Sure it is something of a caricature of a real pelican, but that is part of the charm in my opinion. I like it, but even if I could afford it, not sure I want to spend over $1000 for any pen.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

You can have the bind of an m800 or m1000 taken off and replaced with one of silver. Not unheard of. Then find a repeutable engraver who does good work, and have them engrave something you want. Won't be cheap but it's possible.

So, you find something wrong with a mutant pigeon??

:)

While I am not sure a real pelican would swoon at the sight of a Pelikan pelican, I think it a pelican and a Pelikan for the ages.

X

There have been many other M8xx sizes pens in the Toledo style but not with the Pelican motif. How about something like the Xuan Wu or White Tiger? Myth of the moon goddess is also very nice.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

first of all, thanks a lot for your suggestions. really appreciate it, even if i didn't ask for this. i should have known that this is the extended sales workbench for Pelikan :-)

let me add to my initial post, that i even like the style of the graphics on the toledo. for my taste, it could be even a bit more expressive. just i can't stand that ugly bird. (and, no, even a more naturalistic pelican picture could not convince me)

an M800 sized pen might be too large for my liking, but that shouldn't be the big deal. can get used to that, as long as it ain't too heavy.

never heard of a bai hu version of the pelikans. and, chang'e on my pen? interesting idea, even though it seems more appropriate to use maki-e for this motif. ah, that would be too rich for my house (just moved in, by the way).

anyway, always a pleasure to exchange ideas on this board.

cheers,

sebastian

I am using my Toledo 910 tonight & I can't find anything to complain about while using it. Feels good, looks good, writes good.