Bottles

Charles Skinner

Oh my goodness! Will the "collecting" bug ever stop biting me?????? First fountain pens. Then inks. AND NOW INK BOTTLES! Over the years, I have found that there are many empty ink bottles around my house, and I have even bought some new inks, and in time, more empty bottles end up in on my shelves! AND, and I have even bought some empty ink bottles! Can you believe it?

I have four beautiful empty ink bottles on top of the radio near the chair where I set to write the "foolishness" I put in my journals! I have many other ink bottles that can be used later for display purposes.

Do any of you have this "sickness?"

C. S. (one with too much time on his hands)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Runnin_Ute

• Corona688

• JD-Be

Yes.

I bought some pretty inkwells a couple of years ago, only they really were more for dip pens. And it turned out the lovely colors were just a coating, which came off when I washed the bottles. :angry:

I have one small glass inkwell (sans cap or cork) that looks like a little house. I have absolutely zero use for it, but it got thrown in at the last minute by the seller when I won the bidding on my Plum 51 Demi Aero ('just to keep them together" she said -- even though originally that wasn't part of the auction). I gave away the two large vintage ink bottles when I transferred the contents into smaller containers. I haven't done *anything* with the emptied bottle of De Atramentis Red Roses (I don't know why I'm even keeping it). And on the way to the Ohio Pen Show last fall I bought an (empty) MB shoe bottle in an antiques mall because it cost a buck (people keep saying they're such great bottles for using as inkwells.... I haven't gotten to the point of buying the empty vintage Skrip jars for the same reason -- I'd rather buy them when there's still ink in them! But that day might come.... Of course I did buy a bunch of 2 oz. and 4 oz. amber Boston rounds to decant ink into from the the 2 large vintage bottles; the 4 oz. ones have eyedropper caps (don't remember if the 2 oz. ones do as well).

And yeah, I keep looking longingly at the old Carter's "cathedral" ink bottles (particularly the cobalt blue and purple ones...). :headsmack:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Count me in.

If it makes you feel any better, It is my understanding that fountain pen enthusiasts have a fascination for "gear" in general and do collect other items as well.

I browse reddit a lot and specifically r/battlestations, where people show off their computer/desk setups. I have lost count of the times I have spotted fountain pens on people's desks. Now, considering that fountain pen users are fairly uncommon, I think it's rather safe to assume that there is a correlation there.

My sister ended up with most of those, something I occasionally regret. I have been reusing empty Qink bottles to store mixes I like and using 1/2 ounce dropper bottles for experiments.

Guilty, as well!

I have many of them filled with colored water sitting in shelves in front of windows; they are my stained glass for those windows. But I just like bottles, I have purchased bottles marked "POISON," bottles formerly identified as made for "embalming fluid," holy water, both glass & plastic which were obvious souvenir type bottles. Many of these make me smile when I see them sitting around in the bathrooms in my house. And old vintage large ink bottles fascinate me because they were not something I saw in use; I am not really interested in their contents, just the bottle's shape & labels.

I think the sickest thing about me and bottles is that I still keep a few (and certainly not all) for the simple sake of having a decent place to fill the contents of cartridges for which bottles of same are no longer available. E.g. S.T.Dupont Bleu Nuit / Dark Blue Réf. 040111.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I have no empty ink bottles. I don't write enough. Though I did buy Lamy and MB for their bottles. I didn't have enough cash for a glass Visconti before they changed to plastic. I'll get a antique Skrip or Carter if I ever chance upon them. And akkerman if they ever sell on this side of the pond.

I have two empty Levenger bottles. One is being used. Another couple of Pelikan 4001 bottles. Both are being used at present. Oh, and an empty KWZI bottle. The Pelikan bottles both had Blue Black in them. The Levenger had Raven Black and Pomegranate. So really in terms of not currently being used, just a Levenger and a KWZI.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Back in my stupid youth, I foolishly tossed several empty Levenger bottles! I don't know why I did that. I also seem to have lost a Montblanc bottle (the one with the handy inkwell).

I keep my emptied ink bottles (have a ton of Quinks, Watermans, some others) for putting mixes that I make in quantity in. Also the pouched inks from Australia, and those powdered inks we tried. Empty ink bottles come in handy. Other bottles with a fairly tight cap also get used.

But I won't buy empty ink bottles!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I keep my emptied ink bottles (have a ton of Quinks, Watermans, some others) for putting mixes that I make in quantity in. Also the pouched inks from Australia, and those powdered inks we tried. Empty ink bottles come in handy. Other bottles with a fairly tight cap also get used.

But I won't buy empty ink bottles!

That is what a couple of mine have been used for - Red Cashmere in the Levenger bottle, Green Cashmere and Black Cashmere in a Pelikan 4001 62.5 ml bottle.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I like the old Sheaffer ink bottles from the 50s and 60s. I also like MB bottles. Sailor bottles. The rest of the empties have acquired new contents as a result of personal mixtures.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have my share as well - and have bought empty bottles just because I like the way they look. I prefer to call it therapy rather than an addiction, however...

I have a few but mostly jut toss them when they are empty.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Many times I just buy the ink for the bottle. :wub: :blush:

Me too. :) I remember seeing Graf von Faber-Castell Cobalt Blue in it's fabulous Art Deco bottle and I just had to have it. Not that I even leave it on my desk so that I can see it, but I sometimes get it out of it's box to fill a pen and look at it. :)

Hey all, me too LIKE bottles! And... heritated a nice one, still sealed with wax. They told me, this bottle is from the a US Force HQ 1944-1945 when they fought in Europe...

Does somebody know this brand, and if this story is realistic about the age?
Thanks! Johan

bill-ink.jpg