Prevent Scratches On Expensive Pens

rb120134

if you pick up a plastic pen and a Montblanc pen made of “precious” resin you can tell there is a difference. A difference is noticed with the way they feel and with the way they wear with use.

What is that difference? Is it a good difference or a bad difference?

There's differences between cheap pens as well.

Edited by Corona688

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rb120134

• Corona688

• Inkling13

• Kalessin

I cannot tell you the difference, I just say there is a difference, that is all.

Like all things, it is up to the individual to decide.

One man's steak is another man's ground beef.

Edited by Zaphodbebullbrox

The point is, they're both red meat. Calling steak red meat is not denigrating it, it's simply correct. Insisting otherwise is an exercise in futility.

Edited by Corona688

Says who?

Says who?

Says who?

Says who?

Says who?

Montblanc and others who share this industry term can keep their polycyclic monomers as precious as they wish. I'm not even mocking their customers. It's not likely their pens are sought for their precious resin any more than you'd buy art for its materials.

What I'm poking is the idea that paying a high price for something you're entirely ignorant of makes it valuable. You have no idea how precious, precious resin is.

😂 This is too much. Why get so bent out of shape for what someone else finds value in? You are only about 70% water, and at an average weight of 72 kg for a human body, that would come out to about 40 liters. A liter of water depending on where you are is cheap, but lets say you are made of Evian. 500ml runs you $1.89, so you cost $152 in water. You dont say youre only worth even double that, to cover all the other elements youre made of, do you? Ha. And what would one care about what another is willing and can spend?

To the OP, scratches are a fact of life, but careful use will minimze the worst ones. And the first scratch is the worst. After a lifetime of them, you will forget about each subsequent one.

You dont say youre only worth even double that, to cover all the other elements youre made of, do you? Ha.

I'm....not sure you're actually responding to my post? Especially you missed this part:

It's not likely their pens are sought for their precious resin any more than you'd buy art for its materials.

Whether you love or hate Picasso as an artist, a canvas is a canvas, and plastic is plastic.

Edited by Corona688

I think some of us just need to sit back and enjoy another Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster!

~ Watched by small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

Nothing happens and then...nothing more happens.

Nonetheless, thanks for all the fish...whether scratched or not.

Tom K.

Zaphodbebullbrox, I love your username hahahahaha 😂

Remember, don't drink more than 2 Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters at a time 😉

Zaphodbebullbrox, I love your username hahahahaha

Remember, don't drink more than 2 Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters at a time

Thanks!

I just waiting for Montblanc to issue a Douglas Adams Writers Edition!

Thanks!

I just waiting for Montblanc to issue a Douglas Adams Writers Edition!

Now that is a Writer's Edition I'd love to see. Unfortunately, I fear the design department would have quite a difficult time trying to capture the essence of Douglas Adams and his writing.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

😂 This is too much. Why get so bent out of shape for what someone else finds value in? You are only about 70% water, and at an average weight of 72 kg for a human body, that would come out to about 40 liters. A liter of water depending on where you are is cheap, but lets say you are made of Evian. 500ml runs you $1.89, so you cost $152 in water. You dont say youre only worth even double that, to cover all the other elements youre made of, do you? Ha. And what would one care about what another is willing and can spend?

To the OP, scratches are a fact of life, but careful use will minimze the worst ones. And the first scratch is the worst. After a lifetime of them, you will forget about each subsequent one.

You should have quoted me. And that is not what I said at all. I was merely stating that precious resin isnt as precious as people try to make it out to be. There are many, many reasons why one would want to own a Montblanc, but precious resin being actually precious isnt one of them. And thats just fine. I just find it odd how people cling on to the notion that when they pay 500+ EUR for 20-30 grams of plastic and a little bit of gold, the purchase is worth it in terms of materials. Its not.

To me, these pens give me value for my money because of what they bring to my life. Joy when writing, etc. and thats worth the money, to me. Nobody has to explain themselves why they find worth in that. But explaining that these pens are worth this much because of their special plastic is ludicrous.

I think all those who keep on about so called "precious resin" should really get a life. Montblanc can call the plastic that their pens are made of anything they like, as long as it does not contravene any trade description legislation. The value of a MB is not in the component parts per se but in the total, and in that they succeed in nearly every case. When you think that the gold value of a 14k nib is around €8 (or was three years ago), do we believe that we are being overcharged and should opt for steel? However I do think the cost of MB pens is too high but that is because they are marketed as "Luxury Goods" and not writing instruments and that is totally different argument.

Peter

• 2 months later...

I have some Montblanc-Meissen fountain pens made by ceramic ,and there are not any scratches on the surface even used often. If you want your pens keep pristine after frequent usage , ceramic might be the only choice. Of course , the metal parts will still get scratched.

I have some Montblanc-Meissen fountain pens made by ceramic ,and there are not any scratches on the surface even used often. If you want your pens keep pristine after frequent usage , ceramic might be the only choice. Of course , the metal parts will still get scratched.

I love my Meissen pens. They might crack but scratch not so much ;)

• 4 months later...

It'll damage it. There are plenty of 'precious resin' polishing kits out there.

Oke,
I have a Silver polishing cloth. Is this suitable for Montblanc resin? Or will it damage the resin or gold or platinum metals?

I have used a silver polishing cloth on my resin MBs with no issues. Haven't used one in years though as I've come to enjoy leaving pens as is now a days. I have also used the polishing 2 or 3 step liquid stuff I purchased on eBay. That stuff is like magic. Again, haven't used it for years though and just checked out the plastic containers. The stuff is old and has hardened so can't squeeze it out onto a clothe anymore for polishing.

I have a friend that collects Medieval armour. Very high priced items. He tries to keep as much of the original "character" in the pieces as the "character" is more valued by collectors. They're not looking for armory that is hundreds of years old to look polished new as the day it was first made. Same goes for many other collectible items. As such, I've adopted the same theory for my MB pens. The micro scratches are now treasured in a way that I didn't appreciate when I first started collecting. When I first started collecting MB pens, I wanted each pen to look brand new. Now I prefer some character. Deep scratches are still a no no. I now take more pleasure in using my pens. Each one has a story.

I feel the same way about many of my old cameras. And I know that antique firearms lose a great deal of their value when they've been buffed out and polished. Why do we pen collectors prefer perfectly pristine pens, to the degree that many folks don't ink most of their pens?

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I feel the same way about many of my old cameras. And I know that antique firearms lose a great deal of their value when they've been buffed out and polished. Why do we pen collectors prefer perfectly pristine pens, to the degree that many folks don't ink most of their pens?

+1

Tom K.