Today I'm reviewing Diamine Prussian Blue
A blue-grey or blue-black ink from the standard range, Diamine Prussian Blue is a nicely saturated colour with a vintage look to it. It’s darker, less green leaning and more saturated than Indigo, and it flows better and feels more lubricated when writing across the page.
Prussian Blue was the first modern synthetic pigment. It’s a dark blue pigment also known as Berlin Blue or, in painting, Parisian or Paris Blue. It’s prepared as a very fine colloidal dispersion because the compound is not soluble in water. Prussian Blue is also the traditional “blue” in “blueprints” and as the basis for “laundry blueing.” (Source - Wikipedia)
I filled my Lamy Safari and my Lamy NexxM converters with it. Then left them on my table for a few days. When I went back to the pens, they both started writing straight away. No hard starts. They didn't skip once.
It exhibited excellent shading and it didn’t feather or spread on any of the papers I used it with. It didn’t show through on the HP paper either. Although it showed through slightly on some the papers listed, it didn’t show through as much as the scans suggest, and you can easily write on the reverse of all of the papers I used it with.
It's not sold as a waterproof ink but showed some water resistance.
- Flow Rate: Good - neither particularly wet nor dry
- Lubrication: Good - felt smooth across the page
- Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
- Start-up: Immediate.
- Saturation: Saturated
- Shading Potential: Shading seen especially with F nib.
- Sheen: None noticed, though I’ve seen sheen in some pictures.
- Clairefontaine Crokbook
- Field Notes
- Hobonichi Techo paper.
- Tomoe River 52gsm paper (not very much)
- Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not seen on any paper even Field Notes
- Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen, even after over 1 week in the pen
- Staining (pen): Not seen after several days - very easy clean-up
- Staining (hands): Very easy clean-up off of skin.
- Clogging: Not seen.
- Water resistance: Not sold as waterproof, but shows good water resistance.
- Availability: Available in 80ml and 30ml bottles plus cartridges from Diamine Inks web-site and many other outlets.