The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Modern Mb146, Nib Unit Disassembly, Warning !

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 james3paris

james3paris

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 17:27

I suppose the cynical streak in me would say this was specifically designed to require expensive repairs at MB. :rolleyes:

+1 exactly!

Sponsored Content

#42 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2018 - 19:46

Even though some of us work on these pens, Montblanc does not design them for user maintenance.
The right tools, patience, and lots of help from our friends here on FPN, often bring about the best results.

And then there is Francis. He’s forgotten more than I’ll ever know. Learn something every time. Thank you.

#43 praxim

praxim

still on twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2018 - 01:37

Regarding discussion of sealant:

I acquired recently a 1992 MB146 which I found to have ink starvation. Removing the feeder case to clean the feed thoroughly, I found blobs of silicone sealant around the case and threads and inside the barrel. I am guessing that this is not MBs preferred sealant but something someone decided was a good idea at the time. :rolleyes:

editing to clarify: I am talking about the dried stuff you see along the edges of sinks and baths, not pure silicone grease. If it was silicone grease, then they have now run out and need to stock up again.

Edited by praxim, 28 July 2018 - 02:04.

When you receive new information you can change your mind, or you can close it; or you can try shooting the messenger.

#44 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:32

Regarding discussion of sealant:

I acquired recently a 1992 MB146 which I found to have ink starvation. Removing the feeder case to clean the feed thoroughly, I found blobs of silicone sealant around the case and threads and inside the barrel. I am guessing that this is not MBs preferred sealant but something someone decided was a good idea at the time. :rolleyes:

editing to clarify: I am talking about the dried stuff you see along the edges of sinks and baths, not pure silicone grease. If it was silicone grease, then they have now run out and need to stock up again.

:o  Your story suggests that Montblanc may be correct in trying to dissuade inexperienced users from tinkering about with their pens

#45 niksch

niksch

Donor Pen

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2018 - 04:22

:o  Your story suggests that Montblanc may be correct in trying to dissuade inexperienced users from tinkering about with their pens

Yes.  Blobs = Hack.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

#46 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 07:21

Why can't Montblanc just have a perfect section that is flared at the end like the Virginia Woolf section? No flimsy circular bit stuck onto the end of a straight section, like an afterthought. Just a nice flared section that works particularly well.  -_-

Like other pen manufacturers make.....   :D

#47 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:06

Why can't Montblanc just have a perfect section that is flared at the end like the Virginia Woolf section? No flimsy circular bit stuck onto the end of a straight section, like an afterthought. Just a nice flared section that works particularly well.  -_-

~ Chrissy:

Thank you for mentioning the flared section of the WE Woolf.

For several months I've been thinking about the Woolf, asking others about their feelings concerning its design.

The pen's overall look appeals to me, including the understated and effective section.

After comparing them, it was apparent that the Woolf's section is more or less the same as the PoA Louis XIV, a particular favorite of mine.

Such graceful, unadorned sections do indeed work well, as you've noted.

Tom K.

#48 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:29

Let's face it, a fountain pen user needs some sort of flare at the end of the section to prevent their fingers from sliding down onto the nib. The Woolf has it, and the Louis X1V has it. There may be other examples.

Why did they even start making straight sections that they then had to stick something breakable onto to give it a slight flare? It doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Perhaps it's especially difficult to make a flared section?  :huh:

Perhaps it's just me.  :D

#49 Boris-Ludwig

Boris-Ludwig

"manu et mente"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2019 - 00:13

Can't beat experience although the fees are often very high. Thanks, Fountainbel. Much appreciated. 

#50 siamackz

siamackz

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,581 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2019 - 00:00

Can one replace a broken two piece feed case unit (where the ring is separate from unit) with a one piece integrated unit (ring and case are one)?

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

My Instagram account --> link

#51 fountainbel

fountainbel

fountainbel

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:47

Can one replace a broken two piece feed case unit (where the ring is separate from unit) with a one piece integrated unit (ring and case are one)?

No, the threads diameter of the newer version nib housing are smaller , so not interchangeable….

#52 siamackz

siamackz

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,581 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2019 - 13:17

No, the threads diameter of the newer version nib housing are smaller , so not interchangeable.

Thanks for confirming!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

My Instagram account --> link

#53 Penryn87

Penryn87

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2019 - 20:33

And this is why I have never attempted to disassemble my 146. Excellent drawing of the design if the housing. 

#54 najera

najera

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:54

maybe 9.7 =》 9.25-9.27 mm

Sponsored Content

|