Modern Mb146, Nib Unit Disassembly, Warning !

fountainbel

Thanks for sharing your observations Francis. Probably Montblanc decided to punish those who fiddle with their pens. Tamper evident.

Btw even the older design was very prone to case feeder collar breakage. Mb never reused the case feeders, always replaced them. The best design was on the celluloid era case feeders.

Unfortunately I expect you are right Hari.

Avoiding tampering is probably also the main raison why MB altered the position of the removal slots from 180 to 120 °. And I agree, also the flanged nib housings of the older design are sensible fo breakage;

But finding a replacement nib housing is not as problematic as re-glueing the broken off ring back on the partly broken off section collar.

And you are right again when stating their optimum nib housing design was as on the celluloid pens of their golden era.

Francis

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainbel

• Chrissy

• james3paris

• Matlock

Francis,

Are the section tools marked 146M and 149M that you made several years ago correct for Montblanc's newest section design?

Fred

Francis,

Are the section tools marked 146M and 149M that you made several years ago correct for Montblanc's newest section design?

Fred

Hi Fred,

I've mostly made the versions for "vintage" pens, being for nib units with engagement slots at 180°.

Although I've made a few sets for the actual nib housing versions with engagement slots at 120°

Francis

Hi Fred,

I've mostly made the versions for "vintage" pens, being for nib units with engagement slots at 180°.

Although I've made a few sets for the actual nib housing versions with engagement slots at 120°

Francis

I have both your vintage and modern versions. Will your modern version fit Montblanc's current nib housing on the 146 and 149?

Fred

P.S. By the way, my Minimalistica continues to be a daily writer and is a fantastic design!

Edited by FredRydr

I have both your vintage and modern versions. Will your modern version fit Montblanc's current nib housing on the 146 and 149?

Fred

P.S. By the way, my Minimalistica continues to be a daily writer and is a fantastic design!

Yes Fred, the "M"versions will fit the latest 120° engagement groove design.

Glad reading you are happy with your Minimalistica Bulkfiller !

Francis

Is it possible to take out the feed and nib with the "actual" configuration? I would like to assume with a knock block, but there is not a lot of edge to work with. Is the feed friction held?

Edited by james3paris

Hi all,

Attached an improved version of my original sketch.

I initially forgot the show the O ring behind the nib housing on the latest MB version….

I've also added a picture showing the broken off barrel front ring.

Note the small part of the thin section front collar which is still on the section.

Francis

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Repair%20suggestions%20to%20forum/2018-02-182015.09.00.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Repair%20suggestions%20to%20forum/2018-02-082012.49.32202.jpg

Is it possible to remove the nib unit from say a 1990's pen and add an O-ring when you replace it?

Chrissy, yes you could do that , but there is a serious drawback…….

The axial "sealing"contact between the back of the 'soft" nib housing collar and the section front will be eliminated since one will create an axial gap by adding the O ring.

This implies ink will be sucked up between the nib housing and barrel seam when filling the pen. Consequently ink will come out the axial seam between the nib housing collar and the front of the section during writing, contaminating your fingers with ink…

And there is yet another risk, since the nib housing collar is not supported at its back, it will easily crack when screwing the cap on tightly .

Francis

Why is it that MB feel it necessary to use either a sealant or an O ring when other manufacturers do not use either and suffer no leakages?

Peter

Chrissy, yes you could do that , but there is a serious drawback…….

The axial "sealing"contact between the back of the nib housing collar and the section front will be eliminated by adding the O ring since one will be an axial gap.

This implies ink will be sucked up between the nib housing and barrel seam when filling the pen. Consequently ink will come out the axial seam between the nib housing collar and the front of the section during writing, contaminating your fingers with ink…

And there is yet another risk, since the nib housing collar is not supported at its back, it will easily crack when screwing the cap on tightly .

Francis

Thank you Francis. In that case I won't concern myself about that possibility. :)

Why is it that MB feel it necessary to use either a sealant or an O ring when other manufacturers do not use either and suffer no leakages?

That's a question I've already asked myself for a long time Matlock .

Most probably because MB wants to avoid non MB qualified repairers to tamper with their pens.

This is also the reason why they've switched the position of the removal engagement slots from 180 to 120° …

Francis

That's a question I've already asked myself for a long time Matlock .

Most probably because MB wants to avoid non MB qualified repairers to tamper with their pens.

This is also the reason why they've switched the position of the removal engagement slots from 180 to 120° …

Francis

Many thanks Francis. That is what I suspected.

Peter

I will answer my own question above. Based on all information above and careful examination, I decide not to take the feed and nib out of the housing. I found it to be a high risk venture. I could see the housing easily cracking.

Now, the O ring, it disintegrated as soon I took out the barrel. I was not to happy to see it. Since, I did not have an O ring to replace and have no idea how to find a replacement; I just applied silicone and put the the housing back in, not my ideal solution. I will check it in a month to see how it is holding up.

For now on, I will not be taking any nib housing units off with the new design.

If anyone knows where I can find O rings for this pen, please let me know.

I would imagine this is true to a certain degree. However, I believe that it is more of a cost saving measure. I wonder how many repairs are do to this weakened design. If the section is thinner, what about the barrel?

I don't do what I can't (yet), In that case I ask somebody skilled to do...! :0)

Thank you for posting this clear explanation !

Thanks for the info! This is really one area where other brands (Pelikan) are better. Just wish other companies had as big of a selection of nib sizes.

Wow. Now I can certainly appreciate my novice status!

I find the mechanics fascinating and can only now understand the skill required in undertaking repair and maintenance. I've enjoyed reading the comments on this topic.

I suppose the cynical streak in me would say this was specifically designed to require expensive repairs at MB. :rolleyes:

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

That's why it's called the present

I suppose the cynical streak in me would say this was specifically designed to require expensive repairs at MB. :rolleyes:

Disgraceful comment !! (which I do agree with :o )

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......