Demand For Flex Nibs: Do People Want Them?

tonybelding

The Marlen flex pen has received several reviews; they come up immediately by a Web search. The consensus seems to be that the nib itself is not bad but the feed cannot keep up with it very well (railroading). I have no idea if the new Conklin flex pen is any better, not having used either, but the nib seems to be similar to the Marlen, and if a standard plastic feed is in use then the Conklin might be expected to perform similarly to the Marlen. Some people also question the adequacy of a C/C fill system for flex writing.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• strelnikoff

• ReadyFireAim

• tonybelding

The Marlen flex pen has received several reviews; they come up immediately by a Web search. The consensus seems to be that the nib itself is not bad but the feed cannot keep up with it very well (railroading).

When I see complaints of railroading, I take that with a grain of salt, and I can't help suspecting that they're pushing that nib a lot harder than I would ever want to. Because, you know, a lot of people really go a bit nuts when they get a somewhat flexible nib in their hands.

FWIW, I signed up for the email notification the next time they are going to re-stock on this item. I'd like to get one and compare it to the Aleph nib. It's interesting how the pen - with the exception of the clip (and the nib, of course) - look remarkably like a Rosetta Magellan. Handsome pen for $60, let's see what the Q/C is like.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

fpn_1519500290__sgnikyntniop.jpg

Nice group of Sheaffer pens.....................

Redacting: 'Tis a Waterman Lady Patricia "Persian"

Fred

"I want them never to be forgotten."

Harold "Hal" Baumgarten

Edited by Freddy

"Vintage pens are expensive."

Quality tools are an investment, not a cost.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Quality tools are an investment, not a cost.

I think you probably missed my point. I quote this to indicate the marketing of Goulet because I don't think vintage pens are necessarily more expensive than modern ones.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate what Goulet is doing and I'm also aware that they run a business and need marketing to help them sell stuff. My very first Noodles ink came from them and I brought many other stuffs from them. However, I don't feel the need of this kind of qualification.

I think you probably missed my point. I quote this to indicate the marketing of Goulet because I don't think vintage pens are necessarily more expensive than modern ones.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate what Goulet is doing and I'm also aware that they run a business and need marketing to help them sell stuff. My very first Noodles ink came from them and I brought many other stuffs from them. However, I don't feel the need of this kind of qualification.

Aha - yes, I completely missed that as a quote attributed to GPC. I agree with you on the importance of their business especially with regard to new entrants into pen use, and also agree that the other is both unecessary and misleading. I'm currently bothered by something else with the Conklin stuff but I'll leave that for another post. Thanks for the clarification!

Edited by JonSzanto

~ Benjamin Franklin

TonyBelding wrote: <When I see complaints of railroading, I take that with a grain of salt, and I can't help suspecting that they're pushing that nib a lot harder than I would ever want to. Because, you know, a lot of people really go a bit nuts when they get a somewhat flexible nib in their hands>

I understand what you say; but must disagree with you (with respect, Tony): none of my vintage, flexible Watermans, Swans, Pelikans (and others) railroads -- and you might think I bear down hard on my nibs (<I> don't think I do); but I do write quickly. I suspect that when manufacturers say that their modern nibs are flexible, they are aiming at those who practise calligraphy (which I don't) and <that> infers, I think, slow writing?

I have investigated several moderns with supposedly flexible nibs -- and I have always, thus far, been disappointed (even with the one Omas plus "extra flessibile" nib that I have! In no way can it compare with vintage of same brand!)

"Vintage pens are expensive."

That's funny.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

That's funny.

Yeah, well, you're one of those Bay area thousandaires. Easy for you to laugh.

~ Benjamin Franklin

• 2 weeks later...

I posted a Conklin "Duraflex" writing sample in another thread here on FPN in case anyone wants to check it out. I did assert some pressure however not a great deal - imo.

This may be of some interest https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/333479-conklin-duraflex-first-impressions/page-3?do=findComment&comment=4018599

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

New pen from Additive Pens with a flex nib option attributed to Leigh Reyes:

https://instagram.fymq1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/1c416f638b72629b6d00621ff79a0026/5AAAAA72/t50.2886-16/28858438_193702731360967_4953765466175700992_n.mp4

To see more information about this pen and the nib (option), go here.

~ Benjamin Franklin

• 3 weeks later...

Since my vintage Waterman 52V flex has been out of action with a melted sac, haven't been in a big hurry to get it fixed given how much fun I've been having with the Pilot FA nib. I will eventually.

With the right ink, patience and control, and knowing the limits and character of the FA nib, you can get some good results with this modern flex/soft nib offering, and others out there. I look forward to trying the Conklin Omni flex nib when it becomes more widely available as a standard nib option.

fpn_1522456302__pilot_custom_912_fa_marc

The FA nib is so soft, I get a little line width variation even when I write normally without trying to flex.

Edited by max dog

[*]Re: Noodler's and other cheap flex (cough, cough) nibs... I have a suspicion, based on a lot of reading, that people *did* chase flex, be it those cheap entry-level pens that only flex with muscle, to the people who were modding in various ways, to people who started seeking modest-cost vintage flex... they did chase it, and they found out it is hard to have nice writing with a flexible nib! I think as more people realised that the rewards of a handsome script came at the price of practice and due diligence, the bloom was off the rose. The flexpens went in the drawer, to be replaced by all manner of fads: tactical pens, the tsunami of inexpensive Chinese pens, new materials in construction, etc...

You made some good points.

Speaking for myself personally, I was a pretty avid flex-chaser. It was a re-vivification of copperplate writing which I used to write with back in middle school, using a ball tip pen with a rigid nib.

For me, writing with flex was not difficult, nor is my flex writing very unsightly ( I do alright, not wanting to brag). For me, flex sort of fizzled out because I found it not to be very practical for most of the writing I do. Sure it looks good on a birthday or greeting card, but other than that, my desiderata pens with zebra G nib sit in relative isolation.

We need to remember that the companies that did make flex nibs (Sheaffer for example had lots of various flex nibs in several widths) stopped making flex nibs for a reason. Had flex nibs been a viable profit center then Sheaffer and Parker and Waterman and Montblanc and Pelikan and all the others would have continued making flex nibs. It is far easier to continue doing something where you have already invested in the hardware, software and expertise than it is to start from scratch.

New pen from Additive Pens with a flex nib option attributed to Leigh Reyes:

https://instagram.fymq1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/1c416f638b72629b6d00621ff79a0026/5AAAAA72/t50.2886-16/28858438_193702731360967_4953765466175700992_n.mp4

To see more information about this pen and the nib (option), go here.

I have one of these (just the nib) on order, but no idea when it will arrive. My experience with cut-modified steel nibs has not been very positive so expectations are low. I wonder if anyone else has tried this nib?