The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Esterbrook Dip Pens For Everyday Writing

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 NinthSphere

NinthSphere

Made in Cognito

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2018 - 22:54

Thought it better to dip in here  ;)  for a quick question than a separate thread, but I'm curious how those of you that use the 314 dip nibs find them to wear over time. I recall a thread where AAAndrew mentioned that they're pinchbeck, so presumably it's wear on the contact surface that makes them one of the mass-sold nibs rather than degredation from ink or moisture? How often have you found need to replace one?

Sponsored Content

#42 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2018 - 23:13

They last quite a long time. Esterbrook once sold another pen made of the same material called he “Indestructable.”

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#43 NinthSphere

NinthSphere

Made in Cognito

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• 1,174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:54

Ah, good. That's the kind of thing I was hoping to hear.

#44 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,481 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2018 - 03:10

Thought it better to dip in here  ;)  for a quick question than a separate thread, but I'm curious how those of you that use the 314 dip nibs find them to wear over time. I recall a thread where AAAndrew mentioned that they're pinchbeck, so presumably it's wear on the contact surface that makes them one of the mass-sold nibs rather than degredation from ink or moisture? How often have you found need to replace one?

If you clean and dry the nib each time you use it, and do NOT use the STRONG iron gall inks, you should be fine.

I have a few nibs which I've used, and have not gone to the 2nd nib yet.  They do not have corrosion, so it will be tip wear first.  But then I'm not a master calligrapher and to me the tips are still fine.  My nib usage rate is so low that I have several life-times worth of nibs.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 23-25, 2019 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#45 NinthSphere

NinthSphere

Made in Cognito

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• 1,174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2018 - 14:15

If you clean and dry the nib each time you use it, and do NOT use the STRONG iron gall inks, you should be fine.

I have a few nibs which I've used, and have not gone to the 2nd nib yet.  They do not have corrosion, so it will be tip wear first.  But then I'm not a master calligrapher and to me the tips are still fine.  My nib usage rate is so low that I have several life-times worth of nibs.

Sounds good. Fortunately, I'm not a big ig user. The 314s I see around have tended to be sold in either small handfuls, sometimes a few in a mixed lot, or boxes of dozens, so I wasn't sure even after looking for discussion of such if it was a matter of some people only having had a small number because they stuck around or if they ran through them so fast they'd only had a few left. :D

Sponsored Content

|