Mb Nib Spraying On Paper

JRH

Hello all! I need some input on a MB 144 nib which appears to “spray” when I’m writing a quick line, specifically from left to right, the nib held at around 45 degrees. I attach some photos of the ink effect on notebook paper, regular and closeup.

Photos of the nib at various angles are also attached. Any suggestion on smoothing, flossing, nib channel polishing? I am unable to see any obvious flaws or glitches on the nib itself. Lastly, does anyone have an idea what the root cause of this spray may be?

It’s a medium MB 144 nib, somewhat over smoothed using MB midnight blue ink.

(May have to load more than once)

post-89552-0-19988900-1518329050_thumb.jpg

post-89552-0-20207600-1518329986_thumb.jpg

post-89552-0-93142500-1518329997_thumb.jpg

post-89552-0-92983300-1518330012_thumb.jpg

Edited by JRH

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JRH

• Ghost Plane

• Chrissy

• hari317

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It does look like a slightly over smoothed, standard nib, but the tines look like they are correctly aligned.

Pens usually tend to "spit" if the nib isn't sitting against the feed properly.

I've never removed a 144 nib and feed, so I can't recommend how you might do that. However, I would start with a good soak and flush using a proprietary pen flush, or your own ammonia based version. That should get out any crud that has accumulated between the nib and feed. Thereby preventing the close contact that they need.

Dipping the nib and feed quickly into warm water then pressing and holding them together for a moment or too has worked for me in the past, but these latest Montblanc plastic finned feeds are a bit delicate, so whatever you do, don't press the tines hard enough to push them in one direction or the other. If you do happen to bend a couple, they will push back with a fingernail as long as the plastic isn't cold.

If you know how to remove the nib and feed then cleaning them and making sure they sit together properly might be an option. Resetting a nib onto a feed isn't a job for the inexperienced though.

A Montblanc service level 1 would cost about $70. I believe the Montblanc HQ is in your state. :)

Eureka! The answer appears to have been the simplest of all the possibilities offered here at FPN, YouTube and the Goulet blog site. Smoothing the nib tip was not the answer as it was already “smoothed” enough. I carefully polished the inside of the tines with a .03 Mylar sheet and the only result was a clean flow of ink, not much better than the generous flow it already had.

I finally compared the nib’s positioning relative to the feed with a second 144’s section (I have two, one from 1990 and another from 1992) and discovered the nib was slightly further out than the other. This likely was the result of a prior disassembly while rejuvenating this pen I gently pushed in the nib further down the section and voila, no more spitting, spraying or unwelcome singing.

Many thanks to all for your sharing of the prior discussions on this topic. I have been pen-tinkering for some years now and am foolhardy enough to tear down even a MB, but had never run across this nib malady.

Is this a great forum or what?

Good to know that inner tines are important and that you solved your problem :)

Smoothing is not just simple figure 8s on micromesh.

Edited by minddance

Thank you all. I'm absolutely persuaded that whatever fountain pen trouble there may be, someone here has seen it and likely has the answer. Thanks for the assist and regards from far West Texas.