The Perfect Work Pen

junkinduck

If you could build the perfect fountain pen to carry to work what would it be. We all have different wants and needs. So here is my current idea of a perfect pen for work:

I am a maintenance tech in a big chemical plant. A ball point would be so practical but I use a rotating line of economical pens.

My perfect pen would be a steel nib, anodized aluminum, vanishing point. Prefer blue and under $50 so a damage or loss wouldnt hurt as bad.

I need one handed fast action. No cap to remove or drop, Steel nib that will do carbon copys. Body that wont break when I lean over equipment and rest my weight on it. And while Im dreaming the clip would be easy to replace if it gets sprung.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inky_paws

• junkinduck

• TSherbs

• AL01

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you just described a Pilot Vanishing point. But $50, I rather doubt it, probably more like $90 used. I have a Pilot Vanishing Point and it is a great durable pen and I like the fact I don't have to worry about a lost cap. I have a fine which sips ink so though the ink capacity isn't great a little bit goes a long way. The clip is pretty solid and I don't think likely to be sprung. It might take a bit to get used to how you hold it because of the clip but the clip encourages you to hold the pen with the nib correctly oriented.

Hi Junk,

Yes... as Linear said... you've described a VP for the most part.

I'm really surprised the Chinese haven't got around to knocking them off with a cheaper alternative. :unsure:

Not that I'm in favor of knock-offs... I'm just surprised.

Yeah, I think a used VP is probably your best option for now.

Be well and stay safe. :)

- Anthony

It's a work pen and is going to be worked. I really don't think the cost is such a big issue (assuming you can find the money) because the pain of paying for it will fade very quickly.

I recently ordered a VP - new from Japan for just under $AU100 (so it'd be less for those in the US... probably everywhere considering the state of the aussie dollar). Sure, it's taking nearly a month to get here but should be perfect when it gets here. In my job too, a biro is the rational choice because all we're doing is making very brief notes every five or ten minutes. This is where the click action of the VP is ideal. Like linearM, I've ordered the fine and am now a little concerned seeing how fine my Prera M is.

I have a yellow vanishing point. I love it. Of all my pens it is my favorite. I have crushed a couple of pens though. I hate to take a VP out in the plant. I generally carry a Lamy I just don’t like the cap and two hand operation. We have a lot of open grating for decking and if you drop something it is gone forever. I guess I just want a vanishing point I’m not worried about loosing that is crush proof.

The Chinese pens are cheap enough that you won't mind trashing or losing them, but they don't have the one handed operation. Is gripping the cap in your teeth an option?

in a chemical plant you try to avoid putting anything in your mouth. We use sharpy markers and buy them in capless. I started this thread more as a what if than a looking for a pen. We all have different professions. I just wondered what the perfect pen would be for different people. My Vanishing Point was purchased about ten years ago from Richard Binder. it writes like a dream. It is my "Sunday go to meeting" pen. I carry more modest stuff for my daily drivers. Lamy, Noodler's, Metropolitan. I have even been known to use Bay State Blue in my work pen.

Edited by junkinduck

Actually, in any workshop you'd avoid putting something in your mouth, probably I shouldn't do it in my work place which is an office. Sorry for not thinking that option through. :wub:

Keep us posted on any solutions you come up with, I'm interested.

I am a maintenance tech in a big chemical plant. A ball point would be so practical but I use a rotating line of economical pens.

Since you're already admitting to being impractical you might as well drop the $50 budget and get a VP.

Aaaaand.... you're done.

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

As the OP noted, we all have different wants and needs; and jobs. I took the OP as an example rather than a request.

X

I saw the thread title and instantly thought "Vanishing Point".

I want to like the VP but the nib is too soft for me (maybe someday I'll have a floating fountain-pen-appropriate hand, but that day is not here yet), so a steel nail nib sounds good to me. But more importantly, I find the grip too slippery; a different material or coating would help me a lot. Also mine dries out too quickly, which I understand is not common with these pens, so just bad luck on my part.

As far as the price goes, the cheapest I've seen a Pilot Capless from Japan is just within my budget; not something I'd want to damage or lose.

As the OP noted, we all have different wants and needs; and jobs. I took the OP as an example rather than a request.

You got it. Although I appreciate the recommendations I was looking more for the conversation. If you could design a pen for work what would it be.

Edited by junkinduck

I also thought VP, but do some of them have steel nibs? In the UK I think they mostly have gold nibs and tend to be called Capless. :)

There is also the Lamy Dialogue 3 that also has a "click-action" If I could find one for $50 I would have one. :puddle:

I also thought VP, but do some of them have steel nibs? In the UK I think they mostly have gold nibs and tend to be called Capless. :)

There is also the Lamy Dialogue 3 that also has a "click-action" If I could find one for $50 I would have one. :puddle:

You can buy VPs from eBay sellers in Japan with what they call the 'special alloy' nib ie, steel. Rather cheaper than in the shops too but the shipping times are about 3 weeks.

You can buy VPs from eBay sellers in Japan with what they call the 'special alloy' nib ie, steel. Rather cheaper than in the shops too but the shipping times are about 3 weeks.

I can't buy from Japan. I live in the UK - Far too Customs hungry! :(

Maybe Brexit will fix that for you :D

So far, we don't have such issues so I've never faced them. We don't even have to pay GST (our equivalent of your VAT I think) on items under a grand, though the politicians want to change that.

That's the one I have. The nib is too soft for me; I don't know if it's actually stiffer than a gold VP nib or not as I don't have one to compare it to. Edited by SoulSamurai

A Sailor Pro-Gear with a Lamy 2000 style clutch cap and a piston fill. Or a Lamy 2000 with a Sailor nib and feed.

I set behind a desk working on a computer in my home office, so my perfect work pen could be most anything and I have 13 inked up ready to use. Back when I had an office job I normally carried a Pelikan M200 to meetings. It fit well in a shirt pocket and held a lot of ink. Also used a VP at times. Currently my VP and Fermo are not inked up. Nice pens, but work best as a daily use pen not one in a rotation waiting to be used. Also in my situation piston pens seem to stay wet better then my converter pens. Some C/C pens (Platinum 3776) don't dry out so bad. It's funny my Franklin-Christoph pens never dry out when eyedropper filled but when I move then to a converter they do.

FYI a nib being steel does not mean it's harder then one made from gold. There are many factors in making a hard or soft nib and the alloy of steel or gold is just one of them.

I'm more or less in the same situation than @Driften: home office and office job, both computer at a desk and meetings, so "my solutions" end up being quite similar... with a twist: I can, and have done it, "survive" with just a pen, and it also happened to be an M200, but now I usually have settled to two pens at a time:

• Desktop: I prefer larger -while not gigantic, pens, with semi-flex nibs, M or even B, piston fillers, so they last me at least a week on a charge, with "dark" inks (usually blue, sometimes black). I also use a mechanical pencil for draws/drafts (or a wood pencil at home -hey! my El Casco sharpener has to earn a life too, hasn't it?). Some examples (not all tick all the points): Montblanc 146, Matador 976, Waterman's Hundred Year (its biggest model)...
  • Meetings / stand-up notes: I prefer pens a bit shorter, F or XF "nails", with press or click caps, which I load with more colored inks, say Diamine Oxblood, or J. Herbin Lie de Thé. Probably the one I like the most for these "missions" is a Parker 21 Special, nearly followed by a Parker 51 or the all-terrains Pelikan M200/400. Oh, I also use these when reviewing my desktop notes and I want to highlight or make a point over something.

Up to now, if I had to go with just one pen, it almost surely would be my Pelikan 400 with a semiflex M nib but, fortunately, I don't have to :)