The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Closing Date (Year) Of The Waterman Montreal Factory?

waterman montreal fountain pen waterman montreal canada waterman canada factory 20th century fountain pen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 3nding

3nding

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:18

Hi everyone,

I know there was a Waterman factory in Montreal, Quebec, Canada in the early 20th century but I was never able to find the date of when it closed (the year). I was only able to find out when it started operating and what happened to the building afterwards through Google searches. 

I think knowing when it closed to be able to guess what models it last produced would be interesting.

Thank you all very much in advance!

Sponsored Content

#2 Larry Barrieau

Larry Barrieau

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:37

I don't know if it was the same Waterman's factory as the one which produced ink, but I have ink from the Montreal factory from 1938.

To better see my icon     http://fpnlcb.shutterfly.com/pictures

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen.  (It's smaller than an sj)

#3 3nding

3nding

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:32

I don't know if it was the same Waterman's factory as the one which produced ink, but I have ink from the Montreal factory from 1938.

I would presume there was only one factory because all the articles I have read always mention the same location in Saint-Lambert near Montreal. Thanks a lot, that pushes the floor date for the closure up a bit.  :)

#4 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 18:24

I know mid-1940s to early 50s models like the Stalwart were made in Canada (I have one, somewhere), so I'd imagine the Canadian operation hung on until near the end, if not until the JiF takeover.

You might find something on Dirck De Lint's Raven's March website (he's Canadian, and has done a lot of Waterman research), or you could try contacting him directly, via the website, or he's on FPN as "Ernst Bitterman".

Edited by Tweel, 09 February 2018 - 18:30.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterman, montreal, fountain pen, waterman montreal, canada, waterman canada, factory, 20th century, fountain, pen

Sponsored Content

|