The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Making The Point On Noodler's Black

noodlers black ink noodlers black noodlers black ink good bad black ink dangerous pen

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 wallylynn

wallylynn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:50

Here, I found this old post with pictures of exaggerated difference between HoD and Regular Black http://www.fountainp...rs-black/page-2 Having read these threads for years, I see a general preference for HoD. Nothing wrong with Black, but very few write on newsprint. HoD works better on the higher quality papers that tends to be found on the forum.

Sponsored Content

#22 IndigoBOB

IndigoBOB

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2018 - 13:02

I started with Noodler's black, but it is lackluster and actually turned me off from black inks.  It behaves well in pens especially for the the level of permanence it provides.

But I much prefer Noodler's Heart of Darkness.  It works very reliably in any nib and pen I use it with.  It's a beautiful rich black the likes of which I have only experienced elsewhere with Sailor Kiwa-Guro, both of which work very well in pens and on cheap paper

HoD has been easy maintenance for me as well as long as I don't leave it sitting.  

#23 Monophoto

Monophoto

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 13:36

I use Noodler's Bulletproof Black - a lot - and I like it - a lot.

It's a very saturated ink that bonds chemically with cellulose. Because it is so saturated,it tends to leave a lot of dried dye on the surface of the paper, and that dye can smear, even after it has dried.  As others have noted, the solution to that problem is to dilute it a bit with water. 

#24 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2018 - 22:35

Here, I found this old post with pictures of exaggerated difference between HoD and Regular Black http://www.fountainp...rs-black/page-2 Having read these threads for years, I see a general preference for HoD. Nothing wrong with Black, but very few write on newsprint. HoD works better on the higher quality papers that tends to be found on the forum.

I just posted this in another thread.

The images ( http://www.fountainp...k/#entry2256611 ) bear this out.

It looks like the drops were made with a micro-pippette, given the drops are all of the same size.

If your paper is more absorbent, use NB. If it is less absorbent, use HOD. If you get smudging with your NB, dilute it with a little (20%) of water. Or use a drier pen. The same applies with any highly saturated ink (Private Reserve, Akkerman, some Diamine, etc).

If NB bleeds through, use Sailor Kiwaguro. If that bleeds through, use a pencil. If that bleeds through, I can't help you any more...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#25 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,132 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:06

If that bleeds through, use a pencil. If that bleeds through, I can't help you any more...

:lticaptd:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#26 IndigoBOB

IndigoBOB

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:06

I agree.  

I prefer Noodler's HoD, but for papers where that doesn't work I skip Noodler's Black and go straight to Sailor Kiwa-Guro.

NB is great, and not just for the price, but I need more richness out of my blacks.  If I'm not using color ink, I need a rich black, otherwise NB is just a tad boring for me, but I will say I do prefer it over many other blacks out there.  I guess I'm just picky :P

If that doesn't work I have a Parker Jotter with a Schmidt EasyFlow 9000 that is a pleasure and always with me.  Those refills are amazing and take forever to go through just one.

#27 3nding

3nding

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2018 - 23:48

Hey guys! 

Just an update! After following your advice and letting myself be tempted I bought some Noodler's Bulletproof Black and oh boy had I not be so easily scared, my ink woes would have been over a while ago. So far, I have to say this ink is absolutely great. The wetness is just right for the pen I intended to use it in, it is definitely dark enough for my taste and the lubrication is excellent. I have Waterman Black, Pelikan Brillant Black, Aurora Black and Pilot Black as my other black inks and as much as I like them, this probably surpasses all of them, at least after a week of using it.

Time will tell if this indeed requires more maintenance in my pens and if so, if it is worth the extra maintenance (depending on how much more it is).

Thanks to all of you who answered! 

Yes... I posted the same answer in this thread http://www.fountainp...-2#entry4005599. I'm not original.   :(

Edited by 3nding, 15 February 2018 - 23:48.

#28 wallylynn

wallylynn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,980 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:26

Congrats! FYI, try diluting it if you encounter any issues.

#29 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,132 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:04

Yes and make sure you're using distilled water if you do, and only do it a little at a time.  I don't know how much to recommend for Noodler's Black, but with Bay State Blue I go roughly 20% (maximum) of a total fill to prevent feathering with that ink.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#30 CraigR

CraigR

Bibliophile, Writer and Philosopher

• Member - Gold

• 1,852 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:19

Would you use it in say, a Parker 45 flighter if you really liked that pen?

I use it in my Parker 45 GT (aeromatic) with factory stub nib. Have done so for several years. No problems writing or cleaning.

A consumer and purveyor of words. 

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithonev...m/magazine.html

#31 catapult1

catapult1

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2018 - 17:44

Anderson Pens and Goulet Pen Co. both sell inks samples. I have tried lots of samples from both sellers, including Noodler's black, and many other kinds of black inks. I would recommend.

https://www.andersonpens.com/ink-samples-s/1922.htm 

https://www.gouletpens.com/ink-samples/c/21 

#32 Torrilin

Torrilin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 21:52

3nding, glad it’s working out for you!

Here’s hoping it will continue to make you happy.

#33 FLZapped

FLZapped

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,623 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:52

Would you use it in say, a Parker 45 flighter if you really liked that pen?

Absolutely, those are super easy pens to take apart and clean.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noodlers, black, ink, noodlers black, noodlers black ink, good, bad, black ink, dangerous, pen

Sponsored Content

|