Loupe Lust

spuriousgeorge

Hi, all you lovely people!

I'd like to get myself a loupe for tine adjustments. Any particular makes and models you'd recommend?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spuriousgeorge

• FarmBoy

• IndigoBOB

• Pentode

I have a 20x Belomo bought from Richard Binder years ago. I've been happy with it. However, if I was shopping again today I'd probably make a point of looking for one with built-in lighting.

Edited by rollerboy

No particular brand but at least 10x and lighted if possible.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

IF your workbench has a good light, the Belomo 10x will be fine.

IF you do NOT have good lighting, then you want a loupe with a built in light.

Good optics is not worth anything is there isn't enough light to see.

I use a relatively inexpensive 10x Chinese triplet with LED lights from Amazon.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I just bought a Belomo 10x and its a good bit nicer to use than the smaller, no-name 10x loupe I was using prior. Its larger lens diameter and better image quality at the edges make it a really good loupe for the money.

Unless youre planning to grade some diamonds I suspect this will do everything youll ever need it to.

Anyone tried a clip on loupe for your phone. Using your phone as a viewer. I have a few used old phone -- put it to good use?

I've used a clip-on macro lens for nib photography, but don't have a good phone-holder to keep it in place so I can use both hands on the nib.

On this subject:

I've been enjoying my cheap 30x LED loupe, and have a cheap glasses-mounted 20x for 2-handed work like carving on a feeder.

Is there a hands-free option with less eye-strain? I have to close one eye to use the glasses-mounted one and have to hold my work just-so for its light to work.

I was thinking something like a helping hands or desk magnifying arm but can't find them with decent magnification.

Hi curiousgeorge, there are quite a few threads on this including recent commentary. Search for loupe and you will have more than you can handle. :)

Optical quality matters because with it you gain clarity for a given power, hence a larger and more practical depth and field of view compared with trying for more of cheap magnification. If you are kicking off then I support strongly the Belomo 10X triplet given adequate lighting. It is not absolutely the best but its price and performance are excellent, and you will be hard put to see the differences in the best anyway. Differences are there, but as Pentode said, you are not grading gems.

Something of lesser power is also useful for quick looks, something like a 3X watchmaker’s eye-loupe. Think also about a 3X or 5X Optivisor for hands-free work.

X

I was thinking something like a helping hands or desk magnifying arm but can't find them with decent magnification.

I use a desk magnifying lamp also. It is at once very useful and at the same time optical rubbish. HTH. :)

eta: 3X

Edited by praxim

X

I use a Donovan Optics binocular hood rig. You can change between several available magnifications with two screws. And I have the added booster that swings up out of the way when not needed; it, too, comes in several different magnification values.

It frees both hands for work, and I have a couple of good "daylight" desk lamps to work under.

True, it's inexpensive plastic optics, but I've never had an issue with that. I bought it years ago to work on hand coloring B&W photo prints, then added the booster when I needed it for pens.

It's readily available at hobby shops such as Michael's or Hobby Lobby, if you have those in your area [i personally refuse to shop at Hobby Lobby, but we're not supposed to get political here, so I won't mention why]. I haven't checked, but I'm sure that other b&m and on line stores carry them. Dick Blick, perhaps?

Go with the stereo microscope.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I don't have the best lighting; it sounds like a lighted loupe might be what I'm after.

Most stereo microscopes come with a lighted base and a light ring.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

https://www.gouletpens.com/carton-10x-loupe/p/CT-3010

I love this one. Works great. The size makes it easier to hold and the lens is not too small like others I've tried.

I've been looking at this one myself. My only hesitation was that several reviews described the light as prohibitively bright. Has that not been your experience?

Most stereo microscopes come with a lighted base and a light ring.

Thanks, FarmBoy!

Are there any stereo microscopes that would work well but wouldn't be super expensive? Most of the ones I've looked at have been at least seventy, eighty bucks.

As most others have already said, a 10X is good enough for tine-aligning.

That said, I've just ordered a 15X loupe for examing nib tips more closely, and I'll know if it's any fgood when I get it.

There's a great discussion about how to choose a loupe or other magnifier at the address below. It's on the website of the London firm I bought my loupe from, and the guy in charge seems to really know his onions.

http://www.quicktest.co.uk/magnifiers-article.htm

10x is solid... There are times where I wished I had a 15x, like maybe with a stub, which can me a little more fickle sometimes or with tines that alight oddly, but that has been seldom, and I'm able to use the 10x carefully enough.

You definitely want a light with the loupe. It can make a big difference, and if you have a 10x, illuminate and help with resolution.

I've been looking at this one myself. My only hesitation was that several reviews described the light as prohibitively bright. Has that not been your experience?

I just hold my finger over the light partially.