Moleskine Notebooks Made For Fountain Pens

9a3eedi

Hipster uniform seems to change as things become more mainstream. Moleskine hit that level of ubiquity, because it's really a decent product unless you're using a fountain pen. Even with fountain pen, it's often acceptable, but you're never going to be quite sure since their paper manufacturers are subject to change.

It is all very well specifying what hipster notebook is or isn’t.

What make and model of fountain pens?

And

What ink colour?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amory

• IndigoBOB

• dogpoet

• max dog

I'm not in touch with hipsterism (I am about as unhip in any way as possible) so I can only give experience on Moleskine. In general, the wetter the pen and ink or broader the nib, the more feathering and bleed through I see on Moleskine paper. Specific pen models don't seem to matter, but different manufacturers may be more dry or wet across their line.

Along with skinny jeans, fake wayfarers and beards, Moleskine is part of the hipster uniform: no substance, in this case terrible for fountain pens, all posture. For the real deal, Clairefontaine, Rhodia (same company), Tomoe River, Fabriano... Even HP laserJet 32 lbs.

That's a bit harsh. I'm way too old and cynical to care about fashion. I like my diary for it's flexible cover, elastic closure and grey print. The lines and and other print is minimal and unobstrusive. The construction is sturdy enough to last daily use for a year and the covers don't mind if the book gets significantly fatter due to all the stuff I've glued in it. The paper is thin enough to avoid the book being too thick in the day per page format. The paper doesn't like heavy ink, so I use a fine or extra fine fountain pen without any problem at all. Readily available is good too: I can even buy one here in Western Australia where there's not much of anything to choose from.

Clairefontaine isn't perfect either, some nibs especially stubs tend to skip on it, yet perform fine on other papers. I still use them for journaling, but again choose my pen with care.

It's always a trio - paper, pen and ink. And if the paper is in a book; add cover, construction and print.

Has it become fashionable to put down anyone who uses Moleskine?

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Along with skinny jeans, fake wayfarers and beards, Moleskine is part of the hipster uniform: no substance, in this case terrible for fountain pens, all posture. For the real deal, Clairefontaine, Rhodia (same company), Tomoe River, Fabriano... Even HP laserJet 32 lbs.

LOL that is so true. That's a good metaphor. And I can see them toting the notebook around thinking it's rocking because of the price.

That's a bit harsh. I'm way too old and cynical to care about fashion. I like my diary for it's flexible cover, elastic closure and grey print. The lines and and other print is minimal and unobstrusive. The construction is sturdy enough to last daily use for a year and the covers don't mind if the book gets significantly fatter due to all the stuff I've glued in it. The paper is thin enough to avoid the book being too thick in the day per page format. The paper doesn't like heavy ink, so I use a fine or extra fine fountain pen without any problem at all. Readily available is good too: I can even buy one here in Western Australia where there's not much of anything to choose from.

Clairefontaine isn't perfect either, some nibs especially stubs tend to skip on it, yet perform fine on other papers. I still use them for journaling, but again choose my pen with care.

It's always a trio - paper, pen and ink. And if the paper is in a book; add cover, construction and print.

You're just not around the hipster scene, that's all. I went to a few party's with hipsters in the past years and it's funny. I could totally see them carrying a Moleskine around and thinking it's the cool think and the fashion.

But even when I was only using ballpoints like my Schmidt Easy Flow 9000 or simply parker quink ink, Moleskin paper was abysmal, especially for the price. I was so angered when I tried my first moleskin because of the poor value.

If you like it good for you, but I would dissuade any from purchasing those notebooks.

Evidently. I'd argue that's more of a hipster thing than any poster on here who actually uses Moleskines is guilty of, myself.

:P

Yah, go figure fountain pen users dislike a notebook that isn't fountain pen friendly :P

That's a fair criticism.

People who make a big deal about using fountain pens in 2018 complaining about hipster-targetted marketing, on the other hand, is a whole other issue.

;)

I don't think the hipster joke was serious nor poking at anybody. It seemed more metaphorical, and IMO a good way to depict the rather overpriced notebooks and how on earth they are still selling.

Even before I knew fountain pens existed, when I was only using ballpoints, and not even gel pens or rollerballs, I tried a moleskin and immediately returned it.

Edited by IndigoBOB

I don't think the hipster joke was serious nor poking at anybody. It seemed more metaphorical, and IMO a good way to depict the rather overpriced notebooks and how on earth they are still selling.

Even before I knew fountain pens existed, when I was only using ballpoints, and not even gel pens or rollerballs, I tried a moleskin and immediately returned it.

As I've said before: when the same objections to faux-elitist hipster-targeted marketing for overpriced but otherwise mediocre brands that constantly gets applied to Moleskine are also raised towards equally hipsterist brands like Field Notes or Noodler's, then I might be able to see it as something other than a double standard.

Although I do not currently use moleskine I do have an interest in hipsterism. I am not offended, but smile knowingly as would someone sitting in Starbucks gazing out of the window watching those passing by in the rain.

Urban dictionary is always helpful for such understanding of the more frank, even if it not be the most politically correct, definition to:

Hipsterism

Mass consumption in the eternal quest for what is cool, distinct, difficult to acquire, or just plain ugly. Hipsters engage in hipsterism by shopping at the most trendy places, always looking for the most unique items. Everything, from the type of clothes worn to what you eat is a status symbol to the hipsterist....
...Moleskine.
Edited by IndigoBOB

Urban dictionary is always helpful for such understanding of the more frank, even if it not be the most politically correct, definition to:

Hipsterism

Mass consumption in the eternal quest for what is cool, distinct, difficult to acquire, or just plain ugly. Hipsters engage in hipsterism by shopping at the most trendy places, always looking for the most unique items. Everything, from the type of clothes worn to what you eat is a status symbol to the hipsterist....

...Moleskine.

Is it individual humans or humanity that drive consumerism?

I didn't mean to demean anyone, but it's always healthy to laugh at yourself - I'm not a hipster but I'm sure I am something else far worse. At its root it's interesting to see people appreciating what is now vintage, it's less fun to see them mindlessly conform to a new social standard and put on the uniform, which includes Moleskine notebooks, particularly when us stationary geeks know the real deal. It's a bit like photography newbies asking for the best bokeh, which irony of ironies, means something you shouldn't notice...

You have to admire Moleskine for reading their audience so well, some people complain about that other staple of hipsterdom, Wayfarer sunglasses, but they forget someone had to rescue and nurture that brand, it didn't happen overnight, even if in the process their price multiplied by something like four or five fold.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

It is all very well specifying what hipster notebook is or isnt.

And

What ink colour?

Montblanc Permanent Blue with your wettest and broadest nib will not feather nor bleed on Moleskine. Guaranteed.

Yah, go figure fountain pen users dislike a notebook that isn't fountain pen friendly :P

Yes. I bet at Moleskine HQ they are thinking those silly fountain pen and ink manufacturers cant even make a pen ink combo that doesnt bleed through everything. FP users makeup less than 0.001% of their user base so they are probably not too concerned.

Mean while they probably sell more notebooks to satisfied customers in one day than all the fountain pen friendly notebook makers combined sell in a whole year.

Edited by max dog

Yes. I bet at Moleskine HQ they are thinking those silly fountain pen and ink manufacturers cant even make a pen ink combo that doesnt bleed through everything. FP users makeup less than 0.001% of their user base.

A recent survey reveals that 83.67% of statistics quoted in online forums are inaccurate by as much as 78.32%

It is all very well specifying what hipster notebook is or isn’t.

And

What ink colour?

I'm trying to finish off a Moleskine notebook left over from my pre-FP days, and lamy safari with a fine nib and waterman magnificient blue gave me no feathering at all. But of course, that's a very dry ink and nib combo, and I'll use nothing less than Rhodia paper for my pilot CH 91.

A recent survey reveals that 83.67% of statistics quoted in online forums are inaccurate by as much as 78.32%

So your statement and quoted stat is 78.32% inaccurate here.