The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Namisu Ixion, First Impression Review

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2018 - 23:12

Chinese pens generally use Chinese standard cartridges and converters, which have much larger holes than the international cartridge and converters, unless you are looking at one with Schmidt/ Bock nib unit.

I made this discovery too, after a couple of years accumulating cheaper Chinese pens: the "standard international" cartridge converters from Jinhao, Baoer etc often *don't* fit in European or American pens.  I think @wolzeihan is right, they're generally at least a little bit wider, as are the cartridges - though standard international cartridges will still fit into the pens (except for Hero - they use a *much* larger, Parker-sized aperture).

Schmidt, Kaweco, Monteverde, Diplomat, and a number of other brands should work fine.  If you buy a "standard international" converter from a reputable online company, usually they'll work as advertised.  Sorry to hear you're having to wait to use your pen though!

Sponsored Content

#42 woleizihan

woleizihan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 00:11

I made this discovery too, after a couple of years accumulating cheaper Chinese pens: the "standard international" cartridge converters from Jinhao, Baoer etc often *don't* fit in European or American pens.  I think @wolzeihan is right, they're generally at least a little bit wider, as are the cartridges - though standard international cartridges will still fit into the pens (except for Hero - they use a *much* larger, Parker-sized aperture).

Schmidt, Kaweco, Monteverde, Diplomat, and a number of other brands should work fine.  If you buy a "standard international" converter from a reputable online company, usually they'll work as advertised.  Sorry to hear you're having to wait to use your pen though!

I think it's either poor English or misunderstanding from the sellers. If you look at a listing in Chinese (e.g. taobao.com), it's normally very explicit saying "domestic standard". The International converters are known/ mentioned as "European standard converter". 

#43 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 00:20

I think it's either poor English or misunderstanding from the sellers. If you look at a listing in Chinese (e.g. taobao.com), it's normally very explicit saying "domestic standard". The International converters are known/ mentioned as "European standard converter". 

Quite possibly - I was buying a lot of mine from a local (Australian) dealer, who I don't think was clear about this at the time!  Plus a second batch from eBay, which may well have been improperly translated, it was so long ago I can't remember...

#44 sdbruder

sdbruder

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 00:38

I don’t have any drawing capacity, but I tried to represent what (I think) I saw: the feed ‘borne’ where the cartridge needs to attach to is not round, but has a flat side, something like that:

IMG_4061.jpg

Im right or Im seeing things?

#45 woleizihan

woleizihan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 00:47

I don’t have any drawing capacity, but I tried to represent what (I think) I saw: the feed ‘borne’ where the cartridge needs to attach to is not round, but has a flat side, something like that:

attachicon.gif IMG_4061.jpg

Im right or Im seeing things?

That's correct I think. However, the "semicircle" sits inside a circular nipple and extends beyond the nipple. The converter itself attaches directly to the nipple with that "semicircle" extends a little inside the converter.

#46 SpeakerToAnimals

SpeakerToAnimals

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 14:39

I ordered three Ixions -- one all brass, aluminium (blue and red versions), plus a spare set of black Al grip and finials. I swapped the black grip and finials into the brass pen, and used the bras ones in the red pen for the whole Ironman look!

Can you tell yet that I'm really enjoying these pens! :-) Along with my several Al Orions, titanium and Al Novas.

Using mostly the all-brass Ixion at the moment -- gave it a coating of Wenol red metal polish, so have a nice polished look without patination at the moment. It is delightfully heavy, with a steel XF nib. Writes really nicely, and I like the weight. The beveled cap definitely an advantage (unlike the titanium Nova) when it comes to avoiding the THUNK (and splatter) when one rolls off your desk. 

I guess I just LIKE these really solid pens with BIG #6 nibs. I feel happy about carrying them around, not worried I will crack or chip them when carrying them about in bags. Just not quite for everyday use in situations where I might leave them behind (too nice for that!).

I fully agree with what was said above about chinese pens and converters/cartridges. I found that usually BEST to keep chinese/Jinhao converters/cartridges for chinese/Jinhao pens, and international for the rest. You try to swap them about, or put a chinese cartridge in an international pen, and (usually) mess results. I USED to get away with using old-style LARGE international-style Jinhao blue ink cartridges in western pens (including a Rotring 900), BUT newer carts, they changed the plastic (less soft), and now I can't do that. And some chinese cartridges don't actually seem to fit ANY chinese pen I have (or any other pen I have). Mind you, they probably only cost 20p for a whole box, so I won't fret about that one!

#47 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:48

Mine arrived yesterday afternoon (regional NSW time), and was great except for the nib.  It looked like whoever screwed the nib unit in twisted a little too hard - skewing the nib out of alignment with the feeds, and causing one (or both) of the tines to be a little bent (upward or downward relative to the other).  Of course, it's possible the fault lies with Bock - but either way it's a shame the pen has arrived in a condition not fit for writing. 

I've made some minimal adjustments to the nib to *try* and get it two write (it's still fairly scratchy), and have contacted the manufacturer to ask for a replacement - so we'll see what their customer support is like!

For the sake of completeness: After 2 attempts to raise Namisu via the Kickstarter messages facility, I sent an email via their website.  A few days later I received a reply promising me a replacement nib - which arrived today.  The nib and feed were slightly misaligned on this nib too (what's *with* that?), and there was a noticeable gap between the tines - but with just a little tweaking, it's all sorted and laying a consistent fine line. 

Still a few unhappy customers who've had no reply to their requests for info on their pens - here's hoping their problems are all resolved soon!

#48 jackling

jackling

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:08

Hi,

I cannot find any FAQ on the IXION, so I guess this would be the closest we have to a support group.

My Titanium IXION's section loosens by itself when the pen is capped and carried in my pocket. I'll tighten the section, and cap the IXION, and put it in my pocket. 

When I take it out of my pocket say after arriving at my office, I often know that the section has worked itself loose because there's shaking inside the cap. The section is loose by maybe less than a quarter turn, but it's irritating to have rattling in the pen.

Anybody else have this problem? I'm thinking of putting some thread lock on the section, but it seems wrong as I'll need to unscrew the section to refill the ink.

Edited by jackling, 23 March 2018 - 05:08.

#49 woleizihan

woleizihan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:18

It also happens to my brass one. I'm thinking of putting some sort of plumber tape on the threads.

Edited by woleizihan, 23 March 2018 - 12:18.

#50 jackling

jackling

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 13:13

It also happens to my brass one. I'm thinking of putting some sort of plumber tape on the threads.

Now why didn't I think of that?!? Completely slip my mind as my workplace actually buys them in bulk.

Thanks!

#51 jackling

jackling

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:56

So the teflon plumbers tape works like a charm!

I used half the width of the tape to go 1 complete round the thread on the section. The section hasn't come loose after 1 day in my pocket.

Folks who dislike the metal "scratching" feel/sound when screwing the section and barrel together, the white tapes totally eliminates this, and the threading is smooth as butter.

#52 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• 2,142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2018 - 14:04

This is a great and valuable thread. I have been thinking seriously about getting several of these pens and specifically with the fine and extra fine steel nibs.

Based on what I have read here I'm going to spend my $$ somewhere else. I understand this a limited cross section of buyers and the negative comments seem to outweigh the positive. Lack of responsiveness AND the apparent poor quality control raise a BIG red flag for me.

Thanks for the information and I think I'll move on to something else.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#53 woleizihan

woleizihan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2018 - 14:11

This is a great and valuable thread. I have been thinking seriously about getting several of these pens and specifically with the fine and extra fine steel nibs.

Based on what I have read here I'm going to spend my $$ somewhere else. I understand this a limited cross section of buyers and the negative comments seem to outweigh the positive. Lack of responsiveness AND the apparent poor quality control raise a BIG red flag for me.

Well, if you are interested in something similar, I just saw the newly released penbbs 350. It's essentially a less dressed version in four aluminum colors. The retail price is about $15 and a rollerball nib unit is also included, making it quite affordable and interesting.

#54 jackling

jackling

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2018 - 14:32

I got it because I wanted to try the Titanium nibs (plus I'm a sucker for all things Ti). Their previous crowd funded campaigns seemed better run, and even reviews of direct purchase pens post crowd funding were favourable.

Having gone through this crowd funding campaign for the IXION, even with the problems I encountered with payment, shipping AND quality control of the nib assembly, I would say it was still worth the price I paid for it. Though I won't necessarily back them again in another crowd funding campaign.

When I did manage to get in touch with them via email, the confusion in payment was settled and items shipped with tracking information within 48 hours, so that's a plus.

I'm not sure if direct buying from UK paying the full price of the pen would get you better quality control before they ship out the pen to you.

#55 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• 2,142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2018 - 23:58

Thanks for the added comments. It will be a while before I buy any more pens as I just spent $400.00 for a bunch of pens, inks and other stuff. Probably have that in a week or so. I'll have to "digest" that bite to my budget before more pens.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#56 garyc

garyc

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2018 - 20:32

Has anybody had any luck getting an answer from Namisu regarding nib problems with the Kickstarter Ixions? I’ve tried messaging on FB and using the website Contact Us page. No response from them. They seem to carefully hide any phone or email contacts.

I bought 2 Ixions, a blue aluminium with Fine steel nib which had no problems. The other, brass with a steel EF, had major problems with the nib. One of the tines was thin and vestigal at the tip, like a slither compared to the other. The tines were also visibly separated.

I previously purchased 2 Namisus, an Orion and a Nova. Neither had any any problems so I’m very disappointed with this most recent purchase. The fact that communications were severely lacking about the delays in the Kickstarter project, plus their failure even to acknowledge my problem, makes me think that something has gone badly wrong with this company.

#57 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2018 - 14:07

Has anybody had any luck getting an answer from Namisu regarding nib problems with the Kickstarter Ixions? I’ve tried messaging on FB and using the website Contact Us page. No response from them. They seem to carefully hide any phone or email contacts.

I bought 2 Ixions, a blue aluminium with Fine steel nib which had no problems. The other, brass with a steel EF, had major problems with the nib. One of the tines was thin and vestigal at the tip, like a slither compared to the other. The tines were also visibly separated.

I previously purchased 2 Namisus, an Orion and a Nova. Neither had any any problems so I’m very disappointed with this most recent purchase. The fact that communications were severely lacking about the delays in the Kickstarter project, plus their failure even to acknowledge my problem, makes me think that something has gone badly wrong with this company.

I think they've had massive problems with their nibs - and I don't know if the issue is at their end, or with Bock overextending themselves and allowing QC to drop on this shipment of nibs as a consequence.  My EF nib was also problematic, and needed replacing. I used the email address from their website's "Contact" page (actually, I may have just used the form), and they got back to me within a week.  Two weeks later, I had a replacement nib - also less than perfect out of the box, but I was able to fix it (splayed tines that needed to be brought closer together).  I'm now happy with the pen and the writing experience - but I agree with you, this Kickstarter campaign has been disastrous for them, especially the volume of complaints re dodgy nibs!

#58 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 14:52

Complaints about Namisu are rife, especially about their Kickstarter Ixions.

I bought two and both nibs were unusable. One sounds exactly like it had exactly the same issues as yours. Not something that could be self-adjusted. I contacted them via their email (from comments online they were ignoring contacts via Kickstarter), and at first they responded, but only after about 4 days. They agreed my nibs were faulty (I sent photos) Promised to send me replacements within a week. Then....... nothing. I emailed again after 3 weeks. They do not provide a telephone number. I kept on emailing and filling in their site form every two days. Not a single reply. Then, after over 7 weeks, with no communication or warning, two replacement nibs turned up. Unbelievably these were both complete rubbish too! I gave up at that point.

My conjecture is that they accepted, or were given, less than first quality nibs. Patently no QC was carried out, or they just didn’t care.

I’m not sure what’s wrong, but agree something is definitely “off” with this company. Things can go wrong with projects. We all accept that. And I could have forgiven them if they had communicated and tried to put things right speedily. But after their delays, appalling quality product & totally shoddy treatment of customers I will never buy from Namisu again. Hopeless.

Verba volant, scripta manent

#59 woleizihan

woleizihan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2018 - 15:34

Their business model as a pen "designer" just has massive problems, including close to 0 QC from their side......

#60 garyc

garyc

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:27

Complaints about Namisu are rife, especially about their Kickstarter Ixions.

I bought two and both nibs were unusable. One sounds exactly like it had exactly the same issues as yours. Not something that could be self-adjusted. I contacted them via their email (from comments online they were ignoring contacts via Kickstarter), and at first they responded, but only after about 4 days. They agreed my nibs were faulty (I sent photos) Promised to send me replacements within a week. Then....... nothing. I emailed again after 3 weeks. They do not provide a telephone number. I kept on emailing and filling in their site form every two days. Not a single reply. Then, after over 7 weeks, with no communication or warning, two replacement nibs turned up. Unbelievably these were both complete rubbish too! I gave up at that point.

My conjecture is that they accepted, or were given, less than first quality nibs. Patently no QC was carried out, or they just didn’t care.

I’m not sure what’s wrong, but agree something is definitely “off” with this company. Things can go wrong with projects. We all accept that. And I could have forgiven them if they had communicated and tried to put things right speedily. But after their delays, appalling quality product & totally shoddy treatment of customers I will never buy from Namisu again. Hopeless.

I think I'm inclined to agree with everything you say. Considering I have spent almost £200 on pens from these guys (besides my own Orion, Nova and 2 Ixions I also bought a copper Orion as a present for a friend) I would have expected much better (well, anything > 0 - I've heard not a peep from them) customer service.

I've ordered a replacement nib from Beaufort Inks, then at least I can use the pen.

Sponsored Content

|