The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Namisu Ixion, First Impression Review

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 alanshutko

alanshutko

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2018 - 14:47

In Namisu's defense, because they chose to send the parts to the US and have them assembled here, they can actually have little control unless they send one of their employees here along with all the parts. However, I feel like they could possibly use a local assembly center to do the job and would have more comtrol.

I guess I look at it differently. Namisu chose to use this model so they own the results.  

Sponsored Content

#22 Hejhox

Hejhox

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 21:17

I guess I look at it differently. Namisu chose to use this model so they own the results.  

I agree, it's their name on the product, they retain overall ownership. They made these decisions. When it's your name on the line I'd take more care.

That said I got mine earlier this week and it's good quality albeit very late. It also should have had a cartridge but I fortunately have many alternative options so that didn't bother me too much.

#23 woleizihan

woleizihan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2018 - 20:33

Just a quick update. After several days of use, the brass starts to show some aging. However, the body seems to age much slower than the cap and the section. As you can see in the picture, there's a clear line separating the darker/ shinier parts of the pen. I don't know why this is happening and it doesn't bother me that much.

fpn_1518467470__img_0815.jpg

#24 RocketRyan

RocketRyan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2018 - 23:16

I am so far happy with mine. The #6 titanium nib is good fun. I am willing mine to look more beaten .

#25 GranTorino25

GranTorino25

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2018 - 00:16

Down in Aus I still haven't seen a dispatch notification, and it will take 1-2 weeks from that point :(

#26 DrPenfection

DrPenfection

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:31

I have a titanium Nova which I like a lot, although it is just a bit too heavy for me.  I still use it but not for long writing sessions.

The titanium nib is nice, although I wouldn't call it a flex by any means.  It does have a nice bit of spring, which is nice. 

But when I saw this pen, I wasn't terribly enamored with it, so I didn't order. 

Best always,

Deborah (aka DrPenfection)

#27 kaht_ya

kaht_ya

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2018 - 18:29

New to this forum but not new to fountain pens. I received shipping notification Monday and my pens arrived yesterday (Wednesday). I ordered a F, M, and B. Two red aluminiums and one blue aluminium pen. 

Overall, the pens are well made. The F nib is much closer to an M. The M and B pens both had their feeds off center, with the B nib severely off center. You could actually see the feed sticking out on the right side, past the nib. Both were easy fixes. Inked the pens up with Pelikan royal blue, iroshizuku ku-jaku and Monteverde brown sugar. The wait was worth it. I feel like I got a good quality pen for the price.

#28 trhoton

trhoton

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:31

I ordered two Ixion pens from the Namisu kickstarter. I received the all titanium version (including nib) last week, and an anodized aluminum one arrived today. EF nibs on both. 

Both of the nibs required a little smoothing, but I always tune new pens, so this wasn't anything unusual. The tines on both were slightly out of alignment, but easily fixed. And the cap threads on the all-titanium pen were a little scratchy at first, but after working with it for a bit, they have smoothed out nicely. The EF titanium nib writes a beautiful, wet line. The steel EF is super wet and a little wider (I'd consider it a Fine), but it's a nice consistent writer.

I'm quite happy with both of them. They're fairly large, a bit weighty (48g for titanium and 42g for aluminum), and comfortable. If you expect the pen to be perfect out of the box without any adjustment, you may be disappointed. If you're like me and always make adjustments anyway, you'll be happy. Build quality is great and they look very sharp. The comparison to a Kaweco Sport is a good one. Very similar in style, but larger.

I like the diameter of the pen, the length (I rarely post) and the straight section. These three things make them great for me, and I've written for a couple of long stretches with the titanium one and it was comfortable and not tiring, even though it's fairly heavy. 

I'd buy another pen from them without hesitation. 

#29 jayKellner

jayKellner

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2018 - 15:51

the body is made in china....although it doesn't say anything about it. 

#30 woleizihan

woleizihan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2018 - 16:15

the body is made in china....although it doesn't say anything about it.

It doesn't change the quality of the pen and I'm actually not that surprised if it's true. Are you expecting people who don't even bother to assemble the pens thenselves to actually lathe the pen bodies? Design from Kaweco, nibs from Boch, pen body outsourced, assembled by fulfillment center. It's a good business model and they only advertised themselves as product designers and pen lovers. I will still be willing to pay what I paid for the pen but I'll feel better to pay a much bigger fraction directly to the factory which actually makes the bodies.

#31 harrietthespy

harrietthespy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2018 - 19:26

I received my all titanium pen yesterday but have not inked it up yet. I am not happy with how the cap threads onto the body...more than a bit scratchy and almost to the point of feeling like it is mis-threading. I am not sure that this will be fixed through use although I might just take the cap on and off a few dozen more times and see if this helps....I guess it can't hurt. I have emailed the company and have told them of my issues and have requested a replacement pen so will see if this happens. All my correspondence so far has been positive and I am crossing my ink-stained fingers! The titanium nib feels slightly springy and I am looking forward to trying the pen out. It was a long wait and I am chomping at the bit to ink it!

#32 Jean_Chonot

Jean_Chonot

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 21:12

Hello all,

I received both of mine a few days ago. The Ixion is a nice pen because of its clean design. The finish does not raise any particular criticism and if it inspires a certain robustness, we will see the use.

First little problem, I do not know about you, but in my case they were delivered without converter ... If it's a mistake it does not matter, I had a few available. If it's "normal" then I find it really small!
Second problem and not least, the nibs. 2 EF steels, 1 EF titanium and a F black steel. And none properly adjusted, none having a flow problem even after the usual washing. Moreover, it has not even been polished properly, unless the scratches are on my magnifying glass. A disaster. If it was not possible to have a little fun to put them back in the right way I would have thrown them directly in the trash.
While waiting to get them all back in shape, my Black Ixion works with the Titanium EF of my Nova Studio Ebonite which was perfect. Of course, it's definitely a Bock problem. But how do you explain that if you order nibs at a retailer they never arrive in such a state? If I forgave the delays in Namisu because it is the game with this type of project, I do not forgive the lack of obvious quality. 4/4 defective nibs, it's not a simple statistic, it's outrageous limit. Call them to test their customer service? Next step. 

#33 woleizihan

woleizihan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 21:58

My guess: the poorly trained workers at the fulfillment center didn't know how to handle a fountain pen nib.

#34 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,401 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 22:27

My guess: the poorly trained workers at the fulfillment center didn't know how to handle a fountain pen nib.

Mine arrived yesterday afternoon (regional NSW time), and was great except for the nib.  It looked like whoever screwed the nib unit in twisted a little too hard - skewing the nib out of alignment with the feeds, and causing one (or both) of the tines to be a little bent (upward or downward relative to the other).  Of course, it's possible the fault lies with Bock - but either way it's a shame the pen has arrived in a condition not fit for writing. 

I've made some minimal adjustments to the nib to *try* and get it two write (it's still fairly scratchy), and have contacted the manufacturer to ask for a replacement - so we'll see what their customer support is like!

#35 woleizihan

woleizihan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2018 - 00:09

Mine arrived yesterday afternoon (regional NSW time), and was great except for the nib.  It looked like whoever screwed the nib unit in twisted a little too hard - skewing the nib out of alignment with the feeds, and causing one (or both) of the tines to be a little bent (upward or downward relative to the other).  Of course, it's possible the fault lies with Bock - but either way it's a shame the pen has arrived in a condition not fit for writing. 

I've made some minimal adjustments to the nib to *try* and get it two write (it's still fairly scratchy), and have contacted the manufacturer to ask for a replacement - so we'll see what their customer support is like!

I've heard good things about their customer service and some said you'll get a quicker response by saying it's a recent purchase on their website as opposed to Kickstarter. However, I have no experience myself.

#36 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,401 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2018 - 00:34

I've heard good things about their customer service and some said you'll get a quicker response by saying it's a recent purchase on their website as opposed to Kickstarter. However, I have no experience myself.

My past experience with them has been fine - despite their apparent reluctance to communicate in the Kickstarter comments section.  I've sent a message via Kickstarter initially, but will follow up with another via their website if I get no joy.  Thanks for the suggestion!

#37 sdbruder

sdbruder

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:39

still waiting for mine to arrive. I suspect I will need a lot of patience. #Brazil.

#38 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,657 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:55

I didn’t mind the delay, as Kickstarter projects are notorious for that. But I DO mind about receiving rubbish. Both nibs on the 2 I ordered are horrible; appallingly badly made & unusable. Should never have been sent out.
I emailed them, including photos, several times via their website with no response. Got a reply (coinicidentally?) after I post about it on Instagram. Adrien promised to send replacements “within 7 days” as they were “busy”. That was 20 days ago, nothing received, and they are back to ignoring my emails. Hopeless.

Verba volant, scripta manent

#39 sdbruder

sdbruder

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2018 - 20:58

Mine Blue Ixion finally arrived but Ive made the mistake of believe in the fallacy of the standard international cartridge, didnt bought it with the pen assuming that any standard international cartridge will be enough for it.

So first try with a noname Chinese cartridge it does not even stay in place.

So Ive tried a jinhao one, same behaviour. One Baoer cartridge was a little better and I went with it to ink the pen, after a lot of effort (I think it ‘leaking air’ somehow while trying to fill the pen).

So after some little research I found out that namisu sold it with Schmidt K5 converters. Bought 2 in eBay from a Chinese reseller, so that will take like 30 days to arrive here, bummer :-/

Until now it didnt leaked and it appears to be ok, but I will not use it as a EDC, too risky.

#40 woleizihan

woleizihan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2018 - 21:53

Mine Blue Ixion finally arrived but Ive made the mistake of believe in the fallacy of the standard international cartridge, didnt bought it with the pen assuming that any standard international cartridge will be enough for it.

So first try with a noname Chinese cartridge it does not even stay in place.
So Ive tried a jinhao one, same behaviour. One Baoer cartridge was a little better and I went with it to ink the pen, after a lot of effort (I think it leaking air somehow while trying to fill the pen

Until now it didnt leaked and it appears to be ok, but I will not use it as a EDC, too risky.

Chinese pens generally use Chinese standard cartridges and converters, which have much larger holes than the international cartridge and converters, unless you are looking at one with Schmidt/ Bock nib unit.

Edited by woleizihan, 06 March 2018 - 21:54.

Sponsored Content

|