The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Namisu Ixion, First Impression Review

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 woleizihan

woleizihan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2018 - 21:49

Just got my Ixion in brass after a long wait and here's my first impression review. The Kickstarter campaign has been extensively discussed, please refer to the thread in the Market Watch or the comments on the Kickstarter page. For the sake of this first impression review, I'll pretend I get this pen from a good online retailer with the Kickstarter price, with good customer service, with Paypal buyer's protection on my side without the long wait.

fpn_1517867184__img_20180205_160217.jpg

Design: 9/10

Mine is the brass version with brass section so it's entirely brass. The design of the pen highly resembles the Kaweco Sport. In fact I view it simply as an oversized version of the Kaweco Sport, which is too small for me. Let's make it clear, it's not just similar and it's what I'll call almost direct copy. However, this does not stop me from buying it because first, Kaweco does not produce the exact sized pen, which I find more comfortable and second, I think the price is reasonable. So this is really a mature and popular design, it's hard to go wrong. The pen is clipless but the polygon shaped cap stops it from rolling on the table so it doesn't bother me. The only logo on this pen is the engraved "N" at the top of the cap. It's not the most artistic "N" in any sense and I don't find it very visually pleasant. Frankly, I feel it destroys the minimalism of this pen and hence 1 point off. 

fpn_1517867220__img_20180205_160305.jpg

fpn_1517867245__img_20180205_160320.jpg

fpn_1517867274__img_20180205_160343.jpg

Build Quality: 9/10

Not a lot to be said for the build quality. Lathed metal pen and it's a mature technique so the build quality is in line with most lathed metal pens. One point off because the thread is not finished very well. Mine feels rough at the beginning and makes that metal scratching metal noise. Just a little bit for me but the poor finishing of the threads seems to be a very common problem for this particular pen. 

Dimensions: 10/10

As I mentioned above, this is an oversized Kaweco Sport. I know I like the size before I placed the order so there's really not a lot to be said. The pen is made entirely of brass (except the nib unit) so it's heavy but not overly heavy. It feels solid and comfortable in my hand. You can find the exact length, size from Namisu and I'll just say, the dimension is very close to a Sheaffer Connoisseur in terms of length and girth. 

fpn_1517867323__img_20180205_160758.jpg

fpn_1517867344__img_20180205_160855.jpg

Nib Performance: 0/10 (10/10)

I ordered an EF nib and got a nib that's clearly not extra fine. In fact by comparing it with my modified F Bock nib, it's significantly wider. The nib is unmarked but I guess it's at least M, probably even B. From the perspective that I didn't get the nib size I ordered, it has to be a zero. However, Bock did a good job making the nib and it's smooth out of box. The tines are slightly too apart but not a big deal. Hence, 0/10 for Namisu and 10/10 for Bock. 

fpn_1517867304__img_20180205_160728.jpg

fpn_1517867366__s20180205_0001.jpg

Conclusion:

This is a great pen for the price. I think I paid 44 UKP, which is approximately $60 USD. It's more or less an oversized version of Kaweco Sport but cheaper than the brass Kaweco Sport. Not bad at all. According to Namisu, this is 40% off the MSRP so they plan to sell it for around $100, which is a highly competitive bracket. And the packaging is minimal with no converter or even a single cartridge included. Think of what else you have around $100 (Platinum 3776, Lamy 2000, Pilot 74, Pilot VP......), I can't recommend this to everyone. However, if you like brass pens, I think this could be a good choice. 

Finally, please recall that all of the above are based on the assumption that "I get this pen from a good online retailer with the Kickstarter price, with good customer service, with Paypal buyer's protection on my side without the long wait." 

Edited by woleizihan, 06 February 2018 - 14:16.

Sponsored Content

#2 Jean_Chonot

Jean_Chonot

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2018 - 23:13

Thanks for this review and nice pictures.

I could see exactly the same problem after buying a Namisu Horizon Ebonite. An EF looked more like a medium broad ... I had to resize it. Fortunately it was a steel nib.

So, it seems that the problem still persists today with the Ixion. Me who expects two, I'm not reassured.

And I agree with you, I have no problem either with Bock nibs bought retail at Beaufort ... So, this is not a purely Scottish problem either  :D

But hey, this pen really has a super nice look, does not it? Let's not spoil our joy after such a long wait.  :)

#3 woleizihan

woleizihan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:43

Thanks for this review and nice pictures.

I could see exactly the same problem after buying a Namisu Horizon Ebonite. An EF looked more like a medium broad ... I had to resize it. Fortunately it was a steel nib.

So, it seems that the problem still persists today with the Ixion. Me who expects two, I'm not reassured.

And I agree with you, I have no problem either with Bock nibs bought retail at Beaufort ... So, this is not a purely Scottish problem either  :D

But hey, this pen really has a super nice look, does not it? Let's not spoil our joy after such a long wait.  :)

That's absolutely correct. The pen is indeed very nice and that's why I wanted to write this first impression pretending the long wait does not exist. However, it's also a lesson learned. 

#4 Jean_Chonot

Jean_Chonot

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:49

That's absolutely correct. The pen is indeed very nice and that's why I wanted to write this first impression pretending the long wait does not exist. However, it's also a lesson learned. 

Yes it's a lesson. For me, it is probably a problem related to the sub-contractor of Namisu who deals with the assembly of the pens. Namisu do not do it themselves, it's clearly said on Quickstarter. So a problem of lack of quality controls, not a manufacturing concern as such. But controls seem to be scarce these days, even among major brands ...

In any case you're ahead of me to test the pen and I'm even more impatient to have it since I saw your photos. I will not receive them until next week. Have a good day.

#5 bbs

bbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2018 - 19:14

Thanks for this review, the brass does look nice.

I got the blue aluminium version and am very happy with it. Nicer than I was expecting. I ordered the converter as an extra, so no problem there, and I like the unexpected nylon pen sleeve.

No problem that I can detect with the threads on mine and it writes really nicely. Lovely colour and finish. In my opinion the problems with this Kickstarter project have been exaggerated by a lot of people - I've got a really nice pen for an excellent price, a bit later than expected but not disastrously so, and yes, it should have been supplied with a cartridge but I can live without that.

There are other pen Kickstarter projects that are having much worse problems .....

#6 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 20:13

I bought one in the blue aluminum version. it's an attractive pen with good build quality and feels comfortable in the hand, but has a major flow problem, rendering it totally unusable. I checked the nib with a loupe and discovered that the left tine has no tipping. Namisu has a quality control problem and I doubt I would support one of their Kickstarter campaigns in the future.

Edited by jonro, 06 February 2018 - 20:47.

#7 woleizihan

woleizihan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2018 - 20:27

I bought one in the blue aluminum version. it's an attractive pen with good build quality and feels comfortable in the hand, but has a major flow problem, rendering it totally unusable. Namisu has a quality control problem and I doubt I would support one of their Kickstarter campaigns in the future.

Well as noted above, since Namisu doesn't assemble the pens themselves, there's a lack of quality control. I highly suspect there's any quality control once the nibs left the Bock factory. Namisu gets the nibs from Bock, CNC lathes the body and sends then all together to the warehouse for assembly. You get a good quality body and that's all Namisu has control of. If you go checkout the Kickstarter comments, there's one report of no nib unit at all. It's just hard to believe how this could happen with any sort of quality control......

I guess the only thing you could do at this moment is either contact Namisu to see if they can send you a new one, which frankly, I have little confidence about according to their communication throughout this campaign, or grind it yourself. In fact, the nib shown in my review is already a M-B stub now. :)

#8 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,534 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 20:49

I edited my original post to reflect that the left tine has no tipping, which is the root of the problem. I wrote to Namisu, requesting a replacement nib. We'll see what happens.

#9 woleizihan

woleizihan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2018 - 21:35

I edited my original post to reflect that the left tine has no tipping, which is the root of the problem. I wrote to Namisu, requesting a replacement nib. We'll see what happens.

I really hope they will just send you a new nib unit. Otherwise this pen is truely unusable without buying a new nib.

#10 AlexLeGrande

AlexLeGrande

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:05

Still waiting for my aluminum pen with

titanium nib.  Now more fearful than impatiently annoyed.

#11 woleizihan

woleizihan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2018 - 16:10

Still waiting for my aluminum pen with
titanium nib.  Now more fearful than impatiently annoyed.

Someone has reported a positive feedback from their customer service, so it gives a reason for not to worry that much. Hopefully, even if you get a bad nib, Namisu will give you a replacement. However, it's going to take more time before you could use the pen. If you have abother Bock nib lying around, it should just be a small issue.

Edited by woleizihan, 07 February 2018 - 16:11.

#12 SpecTP

SpecTP

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2018 - 16:57

I just received a postal shipment notification from Namisu on the Ixion delivery. My titanium Ixion is on route to me. :D

#13 woleizihan

woleizihan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2018 - 17:21

I just received a postal shipment notification from Namisu on the Ixion delivery. My titanium Ixion is on route to me. :D

Great news right? :D

#14 fphilipp

fphilipp

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2018 - 22:01

I had a nib on my Horizon that skipped. Namisu sent me a replacement nib - good service.

#15 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2018 - 22:35

Nice review - thanks.  I have 4 Namisus but I confess this one doesn't do a lot for me.  I have this Namisu

https://www.namisu.c...ucts/nova-brass

I also have it in copper.  

(and it came with a converter.....  ;))

#16 Doug C

Doug C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,342 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 23:54

I just got mine, my third namisu.

Flawless.
the Danitrio Fellowship

#17 AlexLeGrande

AlexLeGrande

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:15

My pen arrived today!  I screwed in the Bock XF titanium nib and pressed in the converter, washed it out in plain water, dipped it in Aurora Blue (matches the pen barrel) and did some writing in a Clairefontaine notebook. I'll leave the photos to the Woleizhan's wonderful review, but here are some impressions.

The pen felt good in my normal sized hand.  

It's bold, handsome, and well made.

It practically writes by itself. No pressure = XF line, more pressure = F line, and I didn't want to risk damage by pressing any harder.

I'm very happy with this pen.

#18 alanshutko

alanshutko

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:19

Well as noted above, since Namisu doesn't assemble the pens themselves, there's a lack of quality control. I highly suspect there's any quality control once the nibs left the Bock factory. Namisu gets the nibs from Bock, CNC lathes the body and sends then all together to the warehouse for assembly. You get a good quality body and that's all Namisu has control of. If you go checkout the Kickstarter comments, there's one report of no nib unit at all. It's just hard to believe how this could happen with any sort of quality control......

Does Namisu seriously wash their hands of the end product? Lots of companies contract out production but make sure the contracted work meets standards.  

#19 woleizihan

woleizihan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:50

Does Namisu seriously wash their hands of the end product? Lots of companies contract out production but make sure the contracted work meets standards.

It seems like Namisu has little to no control on the warehouse/ fulfill center. In the update, Namisu says that only 200 pens are shipped a day. When I look at the packaging, I feel like I can at least pack 15 of them per hour...... There are only six parts: cap, barrel, nib unit, sleeve, info card, the plastic bag. No real force or tool is required for the assembling. I don't really think I need 4 mins to pack them and a skilled worker employed at a warehouse should be able to do it much faster. After a simple math, it's obvious that this is either a family packing center at its full capacity or a regular warehouse doing some part time job. And by looking at the record of my pn, I figured out that the pen was received by the warehouse almost a week before any packing took place. If Namisu has any control, I believe they would have speed up the process a little bit.

In Namisu's defense, because they chose to send the parts to the US and have them assembled here, they can actually have little control unless they send one of their employees here along with all the parts. However, I feel like they could possibly use a local assembly center to do the job and would have more comtrol.

Edited by woleizihan, 10 February 2018 - 04:50.

#20 RocketRyan

RocketRyan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2018 - 14:24

Have received mine today, looking forward to inking it up.

Sponsored Content

|