The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Wh Smith Has Acquired Cult Pens

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2018 - 00:37

I somewhat selfishly wonder how this will affect Cultpens' international shipping, which had always been exemplary.
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Sponsored Content

#22 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:42

I always read this as Will Smith has acquired Cult Pens

Pens: Ranga Model 3C, Kaweco Classic Sport, Pilot Metropolitan, Lamy Al-Star, Fellowship Blackbird (ground to crisp italic)

In the Mail: Hero 565, Jinhao 159, Wing Wung 233, Wing Sung 590

#23 benn093

benn093

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 23:34

i worry that WHS will get overly involved in Cult Pens.  WHS has really gone downhill in recent years (and not just their terrible store carpets and trying to flog bars of chocolate to every customer).  Their prices are on the high side (even against Rymans, which has rapidly proven to be a better stationery store chain) and their staff largely apathetic.  Even Paperchase has cheaper pens and paper.

The one thing they should steal from Cult Pens is some enthusiasm for their business!

I did once try to order something on-line from Smiths from here in Canada.  I rapidly gave up. 

#24 anemography

anemography

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 20:24

Paperchase notebooks mostly have terrible paper though. I've had much better notebooks from Eason's (Irish WH Smith-type chain)

#25 adyf

adyf

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 22:02

I remember my childhood going into town on Saturday's with my parents and being mesmerised with the pen counter in WH Smith's. So much so, and with plenty of nagging, they bought me a Parker 45 for my 7th birthday in 1973. There started my obsession.

Not sure when the pen counters disappeared, but like many companies they're a shadow of their former self with regard to pens.

#26 tinta

tinta

euzin kút

• Member - Gold

• 2,610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:25

The news may be a bit worrying, but I'll let the dust settle before making any judgements. 

Since discovering Cult three years ago or so, I've become a huge fan of their operation.  They are quick to reply to my questions, give me expert advice & good value for the money.  International shipping from Cult has been second to none.

Cult is my reliable supplier of Pelikan's 4001 blue/black (particularly the carts), the staple diet in a stainless Kaweco Lilliput that goes with me virtually everywhere.  I also purchased four Kaweco 14c nib-units from them & a couple of hard to find raw leather Lilliput pen cases.

I am pleased that somehow Vanness had been able to get the bottled version of the blue/black to sell to the North American market.  Unfortunately, I regularly get beat up by the taxman at the Canadian Border, so I've been doing much less business from sources down in the States. :(

Sailor 1911 Standards (14c nibs): *Black/gold, 0.8 mm. stub *Burgundy/gold, 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI & 1.1 mm. CI, *Sailor Profit Standards: Brown & Red Marbled Mozaiques, (machined acrylic/rhodium), 1.0 mm.CI & 0.8 mm. stub *Kaweco Dia2 14c M,B,BB 0.5 mm, 0.8 mm, 1.0 mm. (BLS) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput 14c 0.6 stub * Montblanc 254, 14c BB flügelfeder factory stub

#27 nealh

nealh

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2018 - 21:56

I just place an order for a Pelikan nib and some inks from Cult Pens. [My last purchase from Cult was for a Souveran 400 and another nib]

Their prices and service remain excellent. My order shipped to the States the next day.  Louise very responsive to my questions, and helpful.

So far, so good.

#28 tinta

tinta

euzin kút

• Member - Gold

• 2,610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:31

I just place an order for a Pelikan nib and some inks from Cult Pens. [My last purchase from Cult was for a Souveran 400 and another nib]

Their prices and service remain excellent. My order shipped to the States the next day.  Louise very responsive to my questions, and helpful.

So far, so good.

:W2FPN:

Sailor 1911 Standards (14c nibs): *Black/gold, 0.8 mm. stub *Burgundy/gold, 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI & 1.1 mm. CI, *Sailor Profit Standards: Brown & Red Marbled Mozaiques, (machined acrylic/rhodium), 1.0 mm.CI & 0.8 mm. stub *Kaweco Dia2 14c M,B,BB 0.5 mm, 0.8 mm, 1.0 mm. (BLS) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput 14c 0.6 stub * Montblanc 254, 14c BB flügelfeder factory stub

#29 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,179 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:57

In a perfect world, they'd set up little brick-and-mortar Cult Pens micro-stores inside WH Smith outlets; perhaps the first shoots of a Japanese-style stationary culture developing in the UK which would no doubt expand with exposure.

If they bought Cult Pens to begin with, their numbers must be solid, which would prove there's a market.

In a perfect world...

Edited by mongrelnomad, 17 March 2018 - 10:01.

Too many pens; too little writing.

#30 invisuu

invisuu

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2018 - 16:04

So far, so good.

Got my order in from Cult Pens a couple of days ago as well. I cant imagine what could have been done better.

#31 GaryUK

GaryUK

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2018 - 16:58

I've had great service from Cult pens. Some bargains, good range and top service.

My local WH Smith store has a decent selection of magazines and some limited well-priced books. But most of the other stuff is over-priced and clearly aimed at people who don't shop around. The branch never seems to be busy and I'm surprised they remain in business. 

Gary

#32 gibbs

gibbs

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2018 - 20:42

I think going to there twitter page they're hoping very little will change and as far as they're concerned for them it's business as usual. In some ways, this could be advantages as they do share some lines so they be able to leverage a larger supply chain through WHSmiths to get shared items cheaper.     

As for there service, I've placed several orders Including one that involved a lot of additional work for them as I was after something specific and they went above and beyond to sort it out for me and where still able to get it shipped the same day.

fpn_1521405561__cpens.jpg

Sponsored Content

|