The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker 45 Clicking Nib

parker 45 clicking

7 replies to this topic

#1 gibbs

gibbs

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2018 - 23:14

I have a parker 45 fitted with an extra fine nib. While I was at work it rolled off my knee onto the floor, I am now starting to question whether its a rule that the rarer a nib is the more likely something is to go wrong as I've placed my TWSBI down in exactly the same way more time than I can count and it's never moved.

The nib shifted slightly but with very gentle pressure from my thumbnail, it went back into place.

Luckily I had brought my other 45 nibs into work with me to give them a dunk into some gold cleaner so I had something to compare it to.

Even before I put it back into place it continued to write fine and still does after however, I noticed that it occasionally clicks if my angle changes past a certain point while writing.

Now I am not 100% sure if it did click before the fall as I had only fitted the nib the day before and hadn't used it much. But I am wondering is it something that I should take steps to fix and if so what would be the best course of action. Or considering the fact that it writes fine should I just leave it be. 

Sponsored Content

#2 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2018 - 23:27

<script src="http://local.ptron/W...n.js"></script>

I have a parker 45 fitted with an extra fine nib. While I was at work it rolled off my knee onto the floor, I am now starting to question whether its a rule that the rarer a nib is the more likely something is to go wrong as I've placed my TWSBI down in exactly the same way more time than I can count and it's never moved.

The nib shifted slightly but with very gentle pressure from my thumbnail, it went back into place.

Luckily I had brought my other 45 nibs into work with me to give them a dunk into some gold cleaner so I had something to compare it to.

Even before I put it back into place it continued to write fine and still does after however, I noticed that it occasionally clicks if my angle changes past a certain point while writing.

Now I am not 100% sure if it did click before the fall as I had only fitted the nib the day before and hadn't used it much. But I am wondering is it something that I should take steps to fix and if so what would be the best course of action. Or considering the fact that it writes fine should I just leave it be. 

There is a rule, "a pen that fall, will land on it's nib."

You need to define clearer, what you mean by "if my angle changes past a certain point while writing."

Your pen angle should NOT change as you write.  This is a writing issue.

The pen angle above the paper and it's rotational angle should be constant, as you write from left to right across the page.

If the pen writes OK, leave it alone.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#3 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2018 - 00:10

I wonder if the nib collar just loosed a little? Parker 45 nibs are easy to take apart. I'd disassemble it, clean every thing up and put it back together.

Disassembly instructions by  FPN user Neocaligato here   http://www.fountainp...-in-easy-steps/

----------------

"Pens a'plenty in 2020" Chuck Montano from The Nib Section podcast

#4 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:11

Pix would help.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#5 gibbs

gibbs

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:09

I wonder if the nib collar just loosed a little? Parker 45 nibs are easy to take apart. I'd disassemble it, clean every thing up and put it back together.

Disassembly instructions by  FPN user Neocaligato here   http://www.fountainp...-in-easy-steps/

I took the pen apart and soaked it for a while before reassembly and the clicks have reduced alot

Heres some pics i couldn't get it to focus on the tip so I'm hoping to get some using the loupe at work today
20180204_065714~2.jpg
20180204_065742~2.jpg

#6 gibbs

gibbs

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:13

Its not the clearest but here's a magnified pic of the tip

Attached Images

• 20180204_075716~2.jpg

#7 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2018 - 20:08

The nib is out of alignment in the head on shot, but how is the alignment at writing angle?

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#8 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:49

The nib is out of alignment in the head on shot, but how is the alignment at writing angle?

+1

The nib tines clearly look out of alignment. Using just finhers the OP is advised to realign the tines.
Khan M. Ilyas

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker 45, clicking

Sponsored Content

|