Vanishing Point Modification Suggestions

drgt

Hi

I have 2 vanishing points in 18k Rhodium plated, one Medium and one Fine.

The Fine one is a bit too thin, too dry, while the Medium is wet and on the broad side for me.

Attached is comparison to a Metropolitan MR Medium which I like both as a line thickness and as wetness, crispness.

Is there a way to modify the VP nibs to write like the Metropolitan, and how?

post-140492-0-22170000-1517658089_thumb.jpg

Edited by drgt

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drgt

• alexander_k

• Donald2

• minddance

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you think changing over to a dry ink will really solve the problem with the nib being dry? I think that the Fine nib on the Vanishing Point might be dry because the tines are too close together and tight and less flexible than the Metropolitan nib allowing less ink to come out of it. You may want to use the brass foil technique on the tines on the fine nib on the VP to open it up a little so you can get a better ink flow.

The Japanese really cannot understand the existence of a Fine and Wet nib. I like the Medium on your sample, black should be black, not some washed-out colour.

VPs in my experience tend to be quite sensitive to inks. Dry inks can make them unusable, while wet ones may turn them into gushers. It takes time to find the right ink for each VP nib. Interestingly, Pilot inks seem to work well with all VPS but my go-to ink in such cases would be Diamine Midnight.

So tell me, which inks do you recommend for the VP nibs? Diamine, Pilot, ect? Which manufacturer of inks would benefit the VP nibs and which colors?

The Japanese really cannot understand the existence of a Fine and Wet nib. I like the Medium on your sample, black should be black, not some washed-out colour.

You mean the Metropolitan Medium or the VP Medium?

VPs in my experience tend to be quite sensitive to inks. Dry inks can make them unusable, while wet ones may turn them into gushers. It takes time to find the right ink for each VP nib. Interestingly, Pilot inks seem to work well with all VPS but my go-to ink in such cases would be Diamine Midnight.

Tried with Pilot ink too, same results.

Not to mention that I really like my black being black and the Pilot and Pelican are not quite black.

That said, On 2 "BIC one click", I used HOD on one and Pelican 4001 Royal Blue on the other. The Pelican seems wetter.

Do you think changing over to a dry ink will really solve the problem with the nib being dry? I think that the Fine nib on the Vanishing Point might be dry because the tines are too close together and tight and less flexible than the Metropolitan nib allowing less ink to come out of it. You may want to use the brass foil technique on the tines on the fine nib on the VP to open it up a little so you can get a better ink flow.

All times I tried to fix a nib, I ruined it. So I am skeptical about the brass foil.

Perhaps the only solution is to ship them both to a nib professional. Suggestions?

Does anyone know where to obtain a <FM> nib?

Edited by drgt

So tell me, which inks do you recommend for the VP nibs? Diamine, Pilot, ect? Which manufacturer of inks would benefit the VP nibs and which colors?

This is something I'd really like to know as well.

My father gifted me a really nice Raden VP and I never use it because both the F and M nib are so finicky with ink choice. Many Diamine inks I've tried have been gushers with this pen and a lot of others too dry to be enjoyable.

What are everyone's favorite inks for VPs? Does it depend on nib width as well?

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

I dont know why everyone is having issues, my Ferno unit works just finewith any Noodler Pilot or any other ink i used it for.

I haven't tried many inks in mine, but here's what I have tried. All inks have worked pretty well. I have F and M nibs.

• Monteverde Malibu Blue: Works great. Color is growing on me. Nice clean line in my F
  • Edelstein Aquamarine: No complaints in a M nib.
  • Caran d'Ache Electric Orange: Worked fine. Only problem was that I hadn't cleaned the trapdoor and the nib would pick up some of the old ink when it opened!
  • Levenger inks of various sorts: No problems

Edit: One note: my nibs were tuned by Mottishaw for medium flow, so it's possible they work better than they would have out of the box.

Edited by alanshutko

Please be a little more sensitive to the way you phrase your words. The Japanese make amazing pens... for their own market!

If you ever written kanji or mandarin with their fine nibs on daily documents, you'd find their nibs amazingly tuned. If they are wet, the details in the words get lost.

Western letters, especially English is not as focused on detail as much as the way we group the 26 letters, which is the reason why I find Pilot's medium and broad nibs perfect. They run broader and wetter than their Sailor and Platinum cousins.

Edited by gerigo

I find there is a big difference between fine and medium with the VP nibs. The fine is very fine and the medium is more like a western medium.

I find the fine nib with Rohrer and Klingner Verdigris is a perfect match.

The medium nib is a little too broad for my writing style and I rarely use it.

I haven't tried many inks in mine, but here's what I have tried. All inks have worked pretty well. I have F and M nibs.

Please post a sample with your F and M nibs (and a Metro (M) if available). Are they similar to my sample?

I find there is a big difference between fine and medium with the VP nibs. The fine is very fine and the medium is more like a western medium.

I find the fine nib with Rohrer and Klingner Verdigris is a perfect match.

The medium nib is a little too broad for my writing style and I rarely use it.

Yes I feel the M is on the broad side for me.

Please post a sample. I am curious to see if your F is similar to mine. If you have a Metro M include it for reference.

Edited by drgt

My father gifted me a really nice Raden VP and I never use it because both the F and M nib are so finicky with ink choice. Many Diamine inks I've tried have been gushers with this pen and a lot of others too dry to be enjoyable.

I have a steel Fine VP and I mostly use free flowing inks. Never had any issue with any ink i tried in my VP. I have used Diamine saffire blue, Plilot Blue, Pilot Black, Pilot Blue Black, Iroshizuku Tsuki Yo, Sailor Souten, Waterman Serenity Blue, Waterman Intense Black, Sailor Yoshida river blue, Sheaffer Blue Black, Blackstone Barrier reef blue with it and every ink was pleasant in it. So I find VP a very reliable writer.

When evaluating a sample from a picture is always a good idea to use a ruler in the picture or write on known dot paper.

I realize sometimes neither is available, I just make this comment so people can see the difference.

I copied Alexander's one phrase below

post-140492-0-11019000-1518175119_thumb.jpg

post-140492-0-31708800-1518175147_thumb.jpg

Both my VP's M and #5 M gold nibs (74/91/92) write like wet western Mediums. They do not write like Pilot Metro M's.

I normally use Pilot Iroshizuku inks, but in these pens using a Montblanc ink makes the lines produced crisper and better for me. I would think using Pelikan inks would also tame them to where you might like the M better.

No idea on how to help the F nibs be wetter. I don't care for Japanese F nibs. A FM/MF is the finest I go in Pilot or Sailor. On the other side the SM nib in my Pilot Falcon does not like dry inks but loves the Iroshizuku ones.

I don't have any issue using iroshizuku/diamine with my 2 VP's. both are fine nibs.

Edited by SpecTP

I don't have any issue using iroshizuku/diamine with my 2 VP's. both are fine nibs.

Iroshizuku would be a good ink for Pilot fine nibs.... It's just the Medium that are on the wet side and wetter with Iroshizku inks...