The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Drying Out - Faber Castell Ambition With Diamine Ink

faber castell drying out diamine ambition

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tbzbbt

tbzbbt

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 21:18

I've got a Faber Castell Ambition inked-up with Diamine Eclipse. Unfortunately it drys out after a couple of days of not being used. I'm not sure if this is a function of the pen's nib (it has no breather hole), the ink, the cap, or the storage. It is stored with many other Waterman and Kaweco pens in a dry box - none of which exhibit this problem.

Can anyone provide any insight into this problem? Having to dip the pen and invariably getting ink on my fingers each time I use it , is frustrating and discouraging its use. Will a change of ink make a difference?

thanks

tbzbbt

Sponsored Content

#2 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:59

My pearwood Ambition dries up too, it was noticeable with Kon Peki but now it has Ajisai; I put a tiny amount of silicone grease on the section threads, seems to have helped; a really tiny amount.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#3 oneill

oneill

RETIRED MAGISTRATE

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:05

I've got a Faber Castell Ambition inked-up with Diamine Eclipse. Unfortunately it drys out after a couple of days of not being used. I'm not sure if this is a function of the pen's nib (it has no breather hole), the ink, the cap, or the storage. It is stored with many other Waterman and Kaweco pens in a dry box - none of which exhibit this problem.

Can anyone provide any insight into this problem? Having to dip the pen and invariably getting ink on my fingers each time I use it , is frustrating and discouraging its use. Will a change of ink make a difference?

thanks
tbzbbt

A thoroughly good Flushing might help, Use a small drop very SMALL with distilled water to flush out the pen several Times MIGHT help it should be better than it Was.Trust Me. Oneill

#4 dapprman

dapprman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 916 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2018 - 16:15

I have the same problem with all my Faber-Castells - my Ambition is no where near as quick as yours, but my eMotion is.  Not sure about my my WRITink as I rarely use it.

#5 roklpokl

roklpokl

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:44

I have similar problems with Ondoro and E-motion with pretty much all inks. I have to use them on a daily basis or they dry out.

#6 SpecTP

SpecTP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2018 - 17:50

I don't use my ambition much anymore, but my GvFC Classic doesn't have this issue. Ink sits for days until I use it. I use Iroshizuku and Sailor ink in mine.

Edited by SpecTP, 06 February 2018 - 17:51.

#7 FPscribe

FPscribe

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2018 - 19:25

Now that you menion it - my E-motion also does this. I would have thought that the plastic cap insert would grip the metal threads nice and tightly to  prevent drying out.

#8 Mullen88

Mullen88

Mullen88

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2018 - 22:32

I also have the same problem with my E-Motion. Inks that dont dry out in most other pens seem to dry out in a day or so in the FC. Im not sure why it is but it may be the cap is not air-tight, the tines are sandwiched together, or something is wrong with the feed. Cheers.
Keep your nose clean and your nib wet.
-Mullen88

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: faber castell, drying out, diamine, ambition

Sponsored Content

|