The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Are There Ballpoint Pens That I Can Refill With Fp Ink?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Ebberman

Ebberman

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 22:14

I wonder how much writing you intend doing whilst away. A fountain pen with an extra fine nib seems to last me for ages. If you want a rollerball, why not go to ebay and buy 10 empty pen tubes for £1 and twenty gel refills for £1. It breaks my heart that the more important part is the cheaper. Anyway, those two items should let you write for at least a year without a pause.

Sponsored Content

#22 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 21:20

I originally got into fountain pens while trying find a way to save money by refilling rollerball cartridges. I never ended up refilling the cartridge and have definitely NOT saved money.

#23 Ebberman

Ebberman

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:52

You don't have to fill a fountain pen cartridge to save money. On eBay, I can buy 25 cartridges for under £2 and receive them quickly, or I can buy much cheaper if I wait for them to arrive from China. I have a load of cartridges but I sometimes refill only if the pen is fussy about which ones fit. Why bother with a rollerball when you have something superior? 

#24 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:56

I just completed my experiment with Copic markers, and if you can tolerate a plastic tipped nib, like those on a Pigma marker, the Copic makes an excellent choice. Replaceable nibs, durable body, holds up to 3ml of ink, and refillable. The Super fine nibs are truly super fine, comparable to a .5mm Pilot G-2 pen. The regurlar fine tip is more like a .8mm line. 

#25 Ebberman

Ebberman

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:16

How long would a plastic tipped nib last? My Platignum and Osmiroid metal nibs have lasted me 50 years so far and are as good as new. I hadn't heard of Copic markers, so I looked them up just now. They cost more than a budget fountain pen. What is their intended use? Are they for art or for writing on boxes for delivery? Would they take fountain pen ink?

#26 SoulSamurai

SoulSamurai

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:34

Copic markers? Do you mean the alcohol based colouring pens? Or do you mean the permanent liner pens?

#27 Ebberman

Ebberman

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:40

I'm asking Inkling13 these questions. Please refer to the post before mine. 

Sorry, I've just realised that you might be communicating with Inkling13 and not me.

Edited by Ebberman, 02 March 2018 - 04:43.

#28 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:27

How long would a plastic tipped nib last? My Platignum and Osmiroid metal nibs have lasted me 50 years so far and are as good as new. I hadn't heard of Copic markers, so I looked them up just now. They cost more than a budget fountain pen. What is their intended use? Are they for art or for writing on boxes for delivery? Would they take fountain pen ink?

I am talking about the Copic markers: Classic or Sketch. They both come in empty markers, so you can in theory mix your own alcohol based Copic inks and fill them with them. However, it works just as well with FP ink, from my brief trial. They come double sided, with a generous chisel tip and a finer bullet tip. As with all capillary markers and the like, the tips do wear out, but at 5$ or so for 10 tips, and a marker running around 6-7$, I would be hard-pressed to find many entry fountain pens cheaper that is built for "life".  These markers are certainly made to last and last, even in their intended use. 

These markers were initially intended for graphic designers and technical drawing, but manga artists and others have taken these pens as their weapon of choice. 

I used Noodler's Blue Ghost which has worked well. I plan on making a Baystate Blue marker as well. 

With the chisel tip, you can certainly use it for writing on delivery boxes. The standard fine and superfine tips would be more suitable for everyday writing. 

As for a "pen", this is the fastest set-up I have had. Pull the nib from the thick end of the marker, fill with an appropriate volume of ink, and put the nib back. Wait for the ink to wick its way through the pen, and you are good to go. A bit harder to do with Blue Ghost, just cause you can't see where the ink is without a black light. 

Copic markers? Do you mean the alcohol based colouring pens? Or do you mean the permanent liner pens?

I am referring to the alcohol based markers. AFAIK, the permanent liner pens and their disposable FP's don't come in an empty format for you to fill with an ink of your choice. 

I'm asking Inkling13 these questions. Please refer to the post before mine. 

Sorry, I've just realised that you might be communicating with Inkling13 and not me.

HOLD YOUR HORSES. I am a one-man show, but I'll do my best in answering questions in this uncharted territory. 

Edited by Inkling13, 02 March 2018 - 06:30.

#29 SoulSamurai

SoulSamurai

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:50

Fascinating, I had never considered using other inks in Copics. Thanks for sharing the idea!

#30 bluebellrose

bluebellrose

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:14

empty copic markers would probably do great as an highlighter

#31 californiabob

californiabob

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2018 - 14:25

back to original topic

zebra r301 - uses special carts but used lamy carts fit, lamy converters are too long

monteverde invincia - have built-in converters for their RB pens

herbin clear plastics use international carts and maybe a special small converter

but there are metal versions that work beautifully

old kaweco uses international carts

new Kaweco RBs use special carts but are refillable

buy rb tips and replace FP tips in certain pens

#32 bluebellrose

bluebellrose

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:51

back to original topic

zebra r301 - uses special carts but used lamy carts fit, lamy converters are too long

monteverde invincia - have built-in converters for their RB pens

herbin clear plastics use international carts and maybe a special small converter
but there are metal versions that work beautifully

old kaweco uses international carts
new Kaweco RBs use special carts but are refillable

buy rb tips and replace FP tips in certain pens

You forgot pilot v5/v7 cartridge rollerball pens

Sponsored Content

|