Are There Ballpoint Pens That I Can Refill With Fp Ink?

jrm27

Hi all,

I'm doing some traveling soon and I need to get a non-fountain pen to take with me. I don't want to break the bank, but I wasn't to bring something small, durable, an that can (hopefully) use my FP ink. Any ideas or direction on what I should be looking at?

-jon

Flickr http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ebberman

• bluebellrose

• jrm27

• SoulSamurai

Yes, they call them rollerballs. They use water-based ink from a tank instead of a capillary tube of oily gunk, They're not refillable strictly speaking, but I've popped off the ends of sanford roller-ball micro's and refilled them with qink successfully. YMMV.

Awesome. Thanks all. I should have researched a little better! I ordered a J Herbin Refillable Rollerball Pen from Goulet, a converter, and a couple cartridges. So, I guess that should get it working for me! I'll try and refill the cartridges with my own ink and have a stash on hand for when I travel. There's no way I'm gonna bring a bottle with me on this trip... ha! Or, I wonder if I can figure out how to make it an eyedropper ;)

Noodler's makes a rollerball demonstrator pen that's excellent which I recommend.

there is also the pilot v5/v7 cart system pen. You can refill the cart with fp ink. The con 40 fits in there

With a thin market tip replacement tip, just take the wick out and a random rollerball tip from a dead pilot disposable rollerball, you can convert the preppy into a rollerball. I'm waiting with bated breath to see what Platinum Japan makes of my suggestion to create a preppy rollerball line and give us replacement tips to buy

Edited by bluebellrose

My Kaweco refillable rollerball takes standard international short cartridges and lays down a smooth, wet, medium line. It is one of my travel pens and spent a problem-free month with me in Spain this Autumn.

5052449495706_500000_IDShot_3.jpeg

I have turned one of these Liquidly rollerballs into an eyedropper. Also refill others of them with fountain pen ink by pulling the front piece out and using a pipette to refill.

/http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/858372_558495127508117_649985064_o.jpg

I really like the Noodlers Konrad Rollerball, but Im not sure it would suit your needs. I find it prone to burp or occasionally leak a little ink the same as other Noodlers fps. Because of this its still a bit high maintenance and could leak during travel. On the positive side they are durable and dependable and dont dry out easily.

Usually I don't use rollerballs, but they are quite common here in Germany, even low-budget.

Many of them work with standard cartridges, so converters will fit.

If your travelling will lead you to Germany you will find them in any shop that sells pens.

(Probably not just i Germany but the rest of Europe, too)

Wherever you're going: Enjoy your tour!

Rollerballs that take fountain pen ink are sometimes called "inkballs". You can actually convert some fountain pens into an inkball by replacing the nib unit: http://www.go-authentic.com/shop/ink-ball-roller-adapter-0.5mm-0.7mm.

I'm not sure if inkballs are significantly more resistant to pressure changes in an airplane than a fountain pen though. Having said that, some fountain pens are resistant to pressure changes when used correctly. For example the TWSBI Vac 700 has a sort of shutoff valve.

Thanks all! I wish Germany was in the cards, but rather, I'll be in some very less-developed areas. I got that J Herbin Refillable Rollerball Pen last night and threw some Noodler's Old Manhattan in a converter, and it really writes nicely! I think this will suit my travel needs rather well. I wish it was built out of thicker plastic, similar to a Lamy Safari or something, but this may prove to be strong enough to live in my pocket with piece of mind. I look into some more of these recommendations too. Thank you.

Is there any advice on how to turn something like this into an eye dropper? Does the ink need to be in some kind of pressurized cartridge/converter to move the ink into the feed? Or, would there be a way to load this sucker up with one ink that should last me the entire trip?

-jon

• 2 weeks later...

There are some rollerballs by Kaweco and Rosetta that allow FP ink.

I have a Retro 51 RB. The cartridge was writing scratchy, low on ink. I pulled the stopper and refilled the absorbent "sponge" in the cartridge with MB black FP ink. Seems to work fine so far. Change in pressure may be a problem. Dont know.

Edit: I may have overfilled it or the MB ink is too thin. Ink is leaking out enough to be glad it wasnt in a shirt pocket.

Edited by Studio97

There are some rollerballs by Kaweco and Rosetta that allow FP ink.

aren't those discontinued now? I don't see them offered by Kaweco

Usually I don't use rollerballs, but they are quite common here in Germany, even low-budget.

Many of them work with standard cartridges, so converters will fit.

If your travelling will lead you to Germany you will find them in any shop that sells pens.

(Probably not just i Germany but the rest of Europe, too)

Wherever you're going: Enjoy your tour!

do any other brands offer them besides j herbin? I know there's pilot but again it falls into the same trap, the tips aren't replaceable. Though I am hopeful that Platinum will provide a version with replaceable tips with their preppy line.

Edited by bluebellrose

do any other brands offer them besides j herbin? I know there's pilot but again it falls into the same trap, the tips aren't replaceable.

Isn't not replacing the point the entire point? Otherwise you might as well replace the entire pen.

I'm not sure Pilot still has refillable rollerballs. No apparent refills for them on their site unless they rebranded them as something else.

Edited by Corona688

Monteverde makes a "tool" writing instrument called the "One Touch." It has a brass body that is designed to take several different "front ends." There's a basic ballpoint, but also a fountain pen, mechanical pencil, and an "ink ball." The ink ball takes international cartridges, so you can fill it with whatever ink you wish. It comes in a variety of colors too. The back end of it has a blind cap that hides a little screw driver bit (Philips and flat-head). There's also a built-in level.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Isn't not replacing the point the entire point? Otherwise you might as well replace the entire pen.

I'm not sure Pilot still has refillable rollerballs. No apparent refills for them on their site unless they rebranded them as something else.

the tips wear out after a while, so you have to replace the entire pen. Pilot does offer them, I bought one at Vancouver Pen shop the other day. And available online at Staples

https://www.staples.ca/en/Pilot-Hi-Tecpoint-V5-Cartridge-System-Refillable-Rollerball-Pen/product_SS2640874_1-CA_1_20001

The tip is rated for 10 refills, then it's done.