The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Are There Ballpoint Pens That I Can Refill With Fp Ink?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 jrm27

jrm27

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 17:48

Hi all,

I'm doing some traveling soon and I need to get a non-fountain pen to take with me. I don't want to break the bank, but I wasn't to bring something small, durable, an that can (hopefully) use my FP ink. Any ideas or direction on what I should be looking at?

-jon

Sponsored Content

#2 Corona688

Corona688

Inkfingered Crackpot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 18:24

Yes, they call them rollerballs.  They use water-based ink from a tank instead of a capillary tube of oily gunk,  They're not refillable strictly speaking, but I've popped off the ends of sanford roller-ball micro's and refilled them with qink successfully.  YMMV.

#3 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 19:08

There are some rollerballs by Kaweco and Rosetta that allow FP ink.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

#4 jrm27

jrm27

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 21:20

Awesome. Thanks all. I should have researched a little better! I ordered a J Herbin Refillable Rollerball Pen from Goulet, a converter, and a couple cartridges. So, I guess that should get it working for me! I'll try and refill the cartridges with my own ink and have a stash on hand for when I travel. There's no way I'm gonna bring a bottle with me on this trip... ha! Or, I wonder if I can figure out how to make it an eyedropper ;) 

#5 FountainPenGuru

FountainPenGuru

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2018 - 00:51

Noodler's makes a rollerball demonstrator pen that's excellent which I recommend.

#6 bluebellrose

bluebellrose

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:15

there is also the pilot v5/v7 cart system pen. You can refill the cart with fp ink. The con 40 fits in there

With a thin market tip replacement tip, just take the wick out and a random rollerball tip from a dead pilot disposable rollerball, you can convert the preppy into a rollerball. I'm waiting with bated breath to see what Platinum Japan makes of my suggestion to create a preppy rollerball line and give us replacement tips to buy

Edited by bluebellrose, 03 February 2018 - 12:16.

#7 AlexLeGrande

AlexLeGrande

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2018 - 17:40

My Kaweco refillable rollerball takes standard international short cartridges and lays down a smooth, wet, medium line.  It is one of my travel pens and spent a problem-free month with me in Spain this Autumn.

#8 Stephen2020

Stephen2020

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:46

5052449495706_500000_IDShot_3.jpeg

I have turned one of these Liquidly rollerballs into an eyedropper. Also refill others of them with fountain pen ink by pulling the front piece out and using a pipette to refill.

http:/http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/858372_558495127508117_649985064_o.jpg

#9 doriath19

doriath19

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:51

I really like the Noodlers Konrad Rollerball, but Im not sure it would suit your needs. I find it prone to burp or occasionally leak a little ink the same as other Noodlers fps. Because of this its still a bit high maintenance and could leak during travel. On the positive side they are durable and dependable and dont dry out easily.

#10 stevekolt

stevekolt

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:15

My wife and I have Visconti "Eco Rollers" that will fill from bottled ink...

#11 Brandywine

Brandywine

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:00

Usually I don't use rollerballs, but they are quite common here in Germany, even low-budget.

Many of them work with standard cartridges, so converters will fit.

If your travelling will lead you to Germany you will find them in any shop that sells pens.

(Probably not just i Germany but the rest of Europe, too)

Wherever you're going: Enjoy your tour!

#12 SoulSamurai

SoulSamurai

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:31

Rollerballs that take fountain pen ink are sometimes called "inkballs". You can actually convert some fountain pens into an inkball by replacing the nib unit: http://www.go-authen...ter-0.5mm-0.7mm.

I'm not sure if inkballs are significantly more resistant to pressure changes in an airplane than a fountain pen though. Having said that, some fountain pens are resistant to pressure changes when used correctly. For example the TWSBI Vac 700 has a sort of shutoff valve.

#13 jrm27

jrm27

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2018 - 20:22

Thanks all! I wish Germany was in the cards, but rather, I'll be in some very less-developed areas.  I got that J Herbin Refillable Rollerball Pen last night and threw some Noodler's Old Manhattan in a converter, and it really writes nicely! I think this will suit my travel needs rather well. I wish it was built out of thicker plastic, similar to a Lamy Safari or something, but this may prove to be strong enough to live in my pocket with piece of mind. I look into some more of these recommendations too. Thank you.

Is there any advice on how to turn something like this into an eye dropper? Does the ink need to be in some kind of pressurized cartridge/converter to move the ink into the feed? Or, would there be a way to load this sucker up with one ink that should last me the entire trip?

-jon

#14 Studio97

Studio97

Studio97

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:34

I have a Retro 51 RB. The cartridge was writing scratchy, low on ink. I pulled the stopper and refilled the absorbent "sponge" in the cartridge with MB black FP ink. Seems to work fine so far. Change in pressure may be a problem. Dont know.

Edit: I may have overfilled it or the MB ink is too thin. Ink is leaking out enough to be glad it wasnt in a shirt pocket.

Edited by Studio97, 19 February 2018 - 05:54.

#15 bluebellrose

bluebellrose

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:38

aren't those discontinued now? I don't see them offered by Kaweco

Usually I don't use rollerballs, but they are quite common here in Germany, even low-budget.

Many of them work with standard cartridges, so converters will fit.

If your travelling will lead you to Germany you will find them in any shop that sells pens.

(Probably not just i Germany but the rest of Europe, too)

Wherever you're going: Enjoy your tour!

do any other brands offer them besides j herbin? I know there's pilot but again it falls into the same trap, the tips aren't replaceable. Though I am hopeful that Platinum will provide a version with replaceable tips with their preppy line.

Edited by bluebellrose, 21 February 2018 - 02:01.

#16 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:08

aren't those discontinued now? I don't see them offered by Kaweco

Not sure. They did a year or so ago.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

#17 Corona688

Corona688

Inkfingered Crackpot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:23

do any other brands offer them besides j herbin? I know there's pilot but again it falls into the same trap, the tips aren't replaceable.

Isn't not replacing the point the entire point? Otherwise you might as well replace the entire pen.

I'm not sure Pilot still has refillable rollerballs. No apparent refills for them on their site unless they rebranded them as something else.

Edited by Corona688, 21 February 2018 - 02:23.

#18 Brandywine

Brandywine

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:44

Kaweco still offers rollerballs, but they do not use fountain pen cartridges,

they use special mines.

https://www.kaweco-p...ller-black?c=30

#19 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,539 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2018 - 18:12

Monteverde makes a "tool" writing instrument called the "One Touch."  It has a brass body that is designed to take several different "front ends."  There's a basic ballpoint, but also a fountain pen, mechanical pencil, and an "ink ball."  The ink ball takes international cartridges, so you can fill it with whatever ink you wish.  It comes in a variety of colors too.  The back end of it has a blind cap that hides a little screw driver bit (Philips and flat-head).  There's also a built-in level.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#20 bluebellrose

bluebellrose

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:16

Isn't not replacing the point the entire point? Otherwise you might as well replace the entire pen.

I'm not sure Pilot still has refillable rollerballs. No apparent refills for them on their site unless they rebranded them as something else.

the tips wear out after a while, so you have to replace the entire pen. Pilot does offer them, I bought one at Vancouver Pen shop the other day. And available online at Staples

https://www.staples....74_1-CA_1_20001

The tip is rated for 10 refills, then it's done.

Sponsored Content

|