Wettest Ink?

kealani

Aloha Everyone,

Newbie here. I am starting to find out that I like an ink that flows well when writing. I guess that is called "wet"? because the ink is lubricated?

I have the following inks, which ones are the "wettest".

Aurora Black

Aurora Blue

Waterman Paris Black

Diamine Majestic Blue

I have 2 pelicans and a sailor.

Any suggestions for an ink that flows better than what I have?

Thanks so much for your help.

mahalo

jim

Edited by AlohaJim

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kealani

• ParkerDuofold

• IndigoBOB

• Dr_P

Top Posters In This Topic

Of your list, Aurora is the wettest.

And there are some Noodler's ink that are so WET that it makes Aurora look like latex house paint.

The problem is, ink that wet will FLOW, and unless you have a really dry pen to control that flow, it may border on or be unusable.

Note that I said SOME Noodler's ink. The Noodler's ink line is so broad, that the ink characteristics vary all over the place.

Less you think that I don't like Noodler's ink, my 4 carry pens, are all loaded with Noodler's ink.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Hi Jim,

:W2FPN:

Out of the inks you have, I'd say Aurora Black is #1 in wetness.

Since you asked for suggestions; mine would be... in order of perceived wetness to yours truly:

1. Aurora, (Italy, but only 3 colors).

2. DeAtramentis, (German)

3. Monteverde, (U.S./?)

4. Noodlers, (U.S.)

5. Diamine, (British)

In general terms... as AC said, there are always exceptions by particular color. (Consult the great ink review section here for particulars). :thumbup:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/160612-index-of-ink-reviews/?do=findComment&comment=1600141

Btw, of the inks you own, I would rank them like so:

Aurora Black, (wettest)

Aurora Blue

Diamine Majestic Blue

Waterman Black, (driest)

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

EDITED to clarify text.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Aurora Black is wet. Very. Famously. (other famous laxative inks are Diamine Midnight, PR Tanzanite, Diamine Asa etc.)

Aurora Blue is pretty well lubricated and feels quite slick on the page but I did not find it especially wet.

Aurora Blue Black is HALL OF FAME DRY for a non-IG ink. Really reluctant. Nice color but bone dry.

So Aurora is pretty much all over the map. If someone saws "Aurora is wet" I skip whatever else they wrote and move to the next post.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Post deleted by yours truly. Redundant.

- A.C.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I have pens that I can not control their wetness even with the driest of inks. A different kind of problem, though. So sorry please. :)

Khan M. Ilyas

Hi Jim,

:W2FPN:

Out of the inks you have, I'd say Aurora Black is #1 in wetness.

Since you asked for suggestions; mine would be... in order of perceived wetness to yours truly:

1. Aurora, (Italy, but only 3 colors).

2. DeAtramentis, (German)

3. Monteverde, (U.S./?)

4. Noodlers, (U.S.)

5. Diamine, (British)

In general terms... as AC said, there are always exceptions by particular color. (Consult the great ink review section here for particulars). :thumbup:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/160612-index-of-ink-reviews/?do=findComment&comment=1600141

Btw, of the inks you own, I would rank them like so:

Aurora Black, (wettest)

Aurora Blue

Diamine Majestic Blue

Waterman Black, (driest)

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

EDITED to clarify text.

Thanks so much for your help, Anthony.

Great advice and education.

Mahalo,

jim

Thanks so much for your help, Anthony.

Great advice and education.

Mahalo,

jim

Hi Jim,

Ah, not at all... indeed, it is I who thank you for your kind words. :)

Yeah, I would check out the DeAtramentis line... broad selection of colors and all the ones I've used are quite wet. :puddle:

Mahalo,

Anthony

The wettest of the wettest is Private Reserve Tanzanite, that'll cure any pen that won't flow.

It's so awesome they have released a "Fast Dry" version of the Tanzanite flavour.

Good information. I also think Sailor inks are very wet. Normally I avoid using the wet inks I have, but every so often a need for one surfaces.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Another vote for De Atramentis (except for the Document line ink, and for Albrecht Dürer/Anthracite).

Most of the Iroshihzuku inks I've tried are also fairly wet.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Another vote for De Atramentis (except for the Document line ink, and for Albrecht Dürer/Anthracite).

Most of the Iroshihzuku inks I've tried are also fairly wet.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thanks a lot. I was wondering about the Iroshihzuku inks.

mahalo,

jim

De Atramentis inks have been some of the wettest for me, too. Very reliably so.

I've used some wet Diamine inks, but never stuck with them because of the poor water resistance. Sargasso Sea comes to mind.

Aurora Black is definitely wet, but I substituted it Noodler's Heart of Darkness, which was more reliably wet, worked in even the tightest EF nibs, and also works well in broader nibs without being out of control wet like some batches of Noodler's inks I have tried.

I prefer HoD because it has a richer blackness and does work better than Aurora Black IMO, but there is a trade off to the permanence, which may require more pen maintenance, but I've found it isn't as bad as Iron Galls or Pigmented Inks. I use HoD in a Lamy Al Star as an EDC because it writes well on cheap paper, too.

Edited by IndigoBOB

De Atramentis inks have been some of the wettest for me, too. Very reliably so.

I've used some wet Diamine inks, but never stuck with them because of the poor water resistance. Sargasso Sea comes to mind.

Aurora Black is definitely wet, but I substituted it Noodler's Heart of Darkness, which was more reliably wet, worked in even the tightest EF nibs, and also works well in broader nibs without being out of control wet like some batches of Noodler's inks I have tried.

I prefer HoD because it has a richer blackness and does work better than Aurora Black IMO, but there is a trade off to the permanence, which may require more pen maintenance, but I've found it isn't as bad as Iron Galls or Pigmented Inks. I use HoD in a Lamy Al Star as an EDC because it writes well on cheap paper, too.

That's great information.

Thanks.

So does that mean that the more permanent the ink the more maintenance the pen will need?

mahalo,

jim

That's great information.

Thanks.

So does that mean that the more permanent the ink the more maintenance the pen will need?

mahalo,

jim

Kind of. Typically, from my experience, my permanent inks will clog a pen faster than my water resistant inks which clog faster than my inks with little or no water resistance.

But when it comes to permanent or water resistant inks there are variances and exceptions so it's more of a guideline and you'd want to research the ink you're looking at. Some permanent inks require little pen maintenance while others will predictably clog a pen if I it leave it sitting or don't use it enough.

IME, if I'm using a more permanent/water resistant ink, using it often or everyday reduces the clogging and need for maintenance substantially.

I prefer permanent or water resistant inks so I make sure I don't have too many pens inked at once so I consistently use them daily.

If water resistance is not a concern for you, your life is much easier because it opens up sooo many more inks to use and typically reduces the the need for pen maintenance. You'd be able to use so many Diamine inks, Robert Oster's, KWZ's and much more.

I found that Wancher Imari Blue to be even wetter than liquid Ex-Lax -- PR Tanzanite.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Jup! I can agree, Aurora is super wet and the famous Aurora Black is extremely liquid: From it simply rushes off my glass nib when I tested it, however in fountain pens it behaves well and is a candidate for a really black black.

Hi Jim

Very good advice from all the posts. Also remember that ink wetness is only one variable within the "tryad" : ink, pen and paper. Inks can be wetter or drier, pens have more or less flow, and papers can be more or les absorbent, so it takes some doing until you find the perfect mariage for your writing experience.

Claudio